NEurope
Cookyman

Far Cry 4

PS3/360 version seems a strange choice. Should be focused on PS4/Xbone now.

I'm slightly concerned about this, too. It seems that there's a few out there who are a bit reluctant to fully commit to the PS4/One.

Maybe/hopefully it'll be handled by a different studio from the main one and won't impact it in any way like Titanall 360.

It's all PS4/Xbone where it matters though... Arkham Knight!

I'll probably be getting it on the 360, so I'm happy with that.

I'm slightly concerned about this, too. It seems that there's a few out there who are a bit reluctant to fully commit to the PS4/One.

There's no real reason to buy a console just to play a title you'll forget about in a few months' time. Let's face it, the Far Cry series isn't a system-seller (unlike most Nintendo exclusives), and the graphical differences between these AAA games from the last generation isn't particularly noticeable enough to entice people into buying a new console.

I strongly value my purchases, so I usually wait a year before buying a new console. By then the price would have dropped and what money I saved I could spend on an expanded selection of titles, extra controllers, or a bundle offering me something I'd be pissed off by had I bought the damn thing at launch (like the Mario & Luigi Wii U Bundle). Regardless, I think FPS games have always been shit if you're not playing them with a mouse and keyboard.

I'm disappointed at the lack of any real news with this announcement. No trailer, no screenshots, no real information other than "this game now exists." Why couldn't they do it the way they announced the next Assassin's Creed? More importantly, why didn't they make a full game out of Blood Dragon instead?

The Far Cry games don't tend to be "system sellers," likely because they're ubiquitous in the platforms they appear on, whereas you have to buy a Nintendo platform to play Nintendo games; they use well designed games to sell mediocre and bafflingly ill conceived hardware, and you can see with respect to how well the Wii U is doing that the law of diminishing returns is catching up with them.

They didn't make a full game out of Blood Dragon because that whole add-on or whatever you want to call it was the most one note joke in the history of the medium.

I really enjoyed Far Cry 2 and 3, although I played the second one in its entirety while listening to podcasts, so most of the narrative and tone was lost on me (which is what the Idle Thumbs guys love it so much for), and the third was almost offensively stupid, but still such a joy to play. I'm kind of fatigued on open world shooters for the moment though, I might give this one a pass.

The Far Cry games don't tend to be "system sellers," likely because they're ubiquitous in the platforms they appear on, whereas you have to buy a Nintendo platform to play Nintendo games;

I know what you mean, but I still think it holds true when you apply the idea of selling a system to both the Xbox and Playstation platforms. A new triple-A game on both current-generation consoles can still potentially leverage their sales, regardless of what system consumers choose to play the game on. I feel that had the difference in hardware been as drastic as those witnessed in previous generations, games like Watch Dogs or the last Assassin's Creed would not have been ported to both last and current-gen systems simultaneously. Publishers aren't comfortable pushing their IPs as "next-gen exclusives" because they don't want to gamble with the idea that their games will encourage people to buy the new system they're on.

Of course there's still a point in them wanting to cash in on the existing user base of PS3/Xbox360 owners, but if you look at the difference in technology between that generation and this one, you'll find that porting these games to either platform and its successor is an expensive pain in the ass for them to do. I think most of these games were built from the ground-up to be PS3/Xbox 360 games, then had their PS4/Xbox1 counterparts coded from the PC release. Judging from my knowledge of the hardware, it just seems easier for them to do it that way, since the newer systems function more similarly to PCs than their predecessors, and porting PC code isn't as big of a hassle to do. This makes particular sense with the Far Cry games as they have all been optimized to use AMD graphics technology, and AMD has had a hand in developing all current-gen consoles (with particular focus on making them run more like their PC counterpart).

Actually publishers are uncomfortable with the idea of next gen exclusives because there doesn't exist a broad enough user base to justify the expense on games when they're going to be hamstrung by the fact that even if half the people the own the new systems go out and buy the game, that'll still only be enough to break even. Assassins Creed 4 wasn't on the 360 and PS3 because the developers had some sort of no gamer left behind mandate, but because whatever fraction of the user base bought the game on next gen consoles was never going to result in a profit.

The same thing happened with the PS2 to PS3 generational jump, except to a lesser degree just because the highest budget games cost about a fifth of the capital to make that they do now. Obviously it's a hassle for them to port their games, but evidently not enough to prevent them from bothering to do so - especially since all the assets and design work are already there, and your work is going to consist mainly of transferring the code base to another API. The benefit of a collective user base of around 170 million across 360 and PS3 can't be understated to publishers bankrolling big budget blockbusters, even if only a fraction of those people actually buy the game in question.

This E3 is when we'll likely see announcements for next gen exclusives - it's a pretty safe bet at the rate the Xbone and PS4 are selling that there will be a sufficient number out there by holiday 2015, combined with the fact that people who just bought a new console are looking for new games to play amidst a small library, that your triple-a title will sell the amount you need to recoup costs.

I don't really like it being this way, since it means that the versions of the games that come out on the next gen consoles and PC can't really use the power of those systems for any gameplay reasons, since those same features would be unavailable to people experiencing the game on the previous gen. So these games are going to be designed with the constraints of the previous generation of consoles in mind.

Edited by The Bard

Just started this today and it looks incredible on PS4, I'm not far in but I'm loving it so far.

The unpredictability of the landscape in Far cry is so good, I've already been attacked by an eagle, wolf, badger and had my truck turned over by a rhino, can't wait to unlock the elephant riding and looking forward to trying the coop.

I was going to get this on 360 (see above) but the next gen graphics look so awesome, i'm thinking i might wai and get it on Xbone. Just finished FC3 and really enjoyed it!

Yeah, looks and runs great on PS4 and supposed to be the same on XBone. If you enjoyed Farcry 3 you'll like this as well, shame you don't have a PS4 as I have free coop codes, you could of tried it out.

I actually said God Daaaamn near the start when walking towards an objective along a snowy Cliffside and the little flags were blowing in the wind. Beautiful game.

Will pick it up next week. : peace:

But I'll play this over Christmas. Until then it'll be all GTAV, Geometry Wars 3 and Smash Bros for me :p

Great to hear that it looks great. And more of Far Cry 3 is always good :yay:

Did have a code to download this game but will probably end up playing it tomorrow after work. Been hearing alot of good things about it. Looks like it will keep me busy over the Christmas period!

GAME buggerd up my order quite badly. In fact, they didn't even bother sending it out until yesterday morning due to a "technical issue". I can't really complain too much, considering they paid for it. I had a 2nd copy arrive on Monday from Shopto inadvertantly which i sold on. On the plus side, GAME did give me £5 PSN credit as compensation for missing release day.

Still, should be here today (hopefully). And once i've polished off The Last of Us this week, i'll begin this.

Having a blast with this, haven't bothered with the story much I've just been messing around taking towers, outposts and crafting, hunting, etc. Talking of which I was hunting earlier when an eagle swooped down and grabbed a wild boar right in front of me and flew off with it! Dem Eagles are crazy!

The buzzer copter is awesome for checking out Kyrat but don't jump from it before you know which button the wing suit is mapped to, doesn't end well. I also took out a convoy whilst on an elephant, felt good!

Having a blast with this, haven't bothered with the story much I've just been messing around taking towers, outposts and crafting, hunting, etc. Talking of which I was hunting earlier when an eagle swooped down and grabbed a wild boar right in front of me and flew off with it! Dem Eagles are crazy!

The buzzer copter is awesome for checking out Kyrat but don't jump from it before you know which button the wing suit is mapped to, doesn't end well. I also took out a convoy whilst on an elephant, felt good!

Sounds fun, it certainly was playing the demo back in September. Was part of the reason behind why i picked this up. Also picked up the Season pass out of the remaining GAME loyalty points i had, so should be able to keep this going for quite some time.

I plan to get going this weekend, once i've polished off the Last of Us DLC tonight.

Only an hour into this so far and I'm enjoying it!

I absolutely adored FC3 so I'm not surprised I'm falling for this version too!