Daft

Virtual Reality

I'm so tempted to get a Quest 2 as I love the VR experience but the price is my biggest gripe. But that mandatory Facebook login is holding me back. I've been thinking about deleting my Facebook, so getting more involved seems like the wrong direction. The fact that they tie your purchases to it means I have to keep it, and their policy makes it risky to set up a fake account.

But reviews are good and the pricepoint is very fair. Maybe I should hold off a little bit longer for the HP Reverb G2, although that won't work standalone which is a plus for the Quest 2.

Yeah, there seem to be quite a few users who are getting blocked and all their old purchases from their Oculus user becoming unavailable. Which is bull in my opinion. This is one of my biggest gripes with the headset as well. But it's a shame, because it's the best headset for newcomers on the market. If it leaves a bad impression on a lot of players, it will have a negative effect on the VR development. 

@Vileplume2000 if you have a decent PC that can run it, I would strongly suggest that you look into the HP Reverb G2 :) It looks to be an impressive headset in every way except maybe the controllers (but these can be changed with the Valve Index controllers for a fee), and there is no mandatory social media account required. 

• Thanks 1

But reviews are good and the pricepoint is very fair.

We just say price round here.

Sideloaded a few games this morning to test out other stuff. Did some shooting and there was no noticeable lag when firing. I've got a cheap link cable arriving today so hopefully should be able to properly test out some PC VR games later.

VR top tip time!

Don't forget to wash your faceplate every so often, kids!

And if you don't, definitely don't put your Oculus in a mildly damp cupboard door 6 months and forget all about it. Just had a lovely mouldy surprise!

• Sad 1

Well my headset developed a buzzing noise today. Annoyed that it’s a couple of days and it may already be faulty and need returning 🤬

On 10/17/2020 at 11:49 PM, Happenstance said:

Well my headset developed a buzzing noise today. Annoyed that it’s a couple of days and it may already be faulty and need returning 🤬

Ow, that sucks :S. Better swap it quickly though, and hope that it's not a recurring issue with other models. I guess it's pretty noticable on a headset mounted so closely to your ears. 

3 minutes ago, ArtMediocre said:

Ow, that sucks :S. Better swap it quickly though, and hope that it's not a recurring issue with other models. I guess it's pretty noticable on a headset mounted so closely to your ears. 

Looking on Reddit and the Oculus forums there are quite a few complaints about it. People seem to think it's an issue with the main cooling fan. I've got a ticket open with Oculus Support at the moment but we're only at the "try restarting the device" stage.

It's still useable as if I turn a real fan on in my room the vibrations completey drown out the buzzing so I can at least keep playing while I wait.