NEurope
Goron_3

New IP's - Nintendo vs. Nintendon't do enough? [Th'rip]

"Nintendo....Nintendo never changes"

I can imagine a paranoia shitstorm going down if they call it that. :p

It might have felt fresh but it's usage outside of everything apart from swordplay could have been done better with the analogue stick. I still have nightmares about having to use M+ to control that stupid beetle thing.

I loved it for almost everything, the only time I'd have liked to have used the analogue stick was for swimming.

@Oxigen_Waste for me, I'd take the gameplay of the Mario's and Zelda's over narrative anyday! For example, the Uncharted games, they're good games and I enjoyed them because of the narrative but I felt the gameplay was lacking somewhat and so they don't make the grade for me in comparison to other games, say, Batman Arkham City!

Edited by Kav

Wonderful 101 isn't a Nintendo game anyway, it's all Platinum Games' work and inventiveness.

But....But....Nintendo paid for it!

I've merged posts about Nintendo and IP's from the 'You can tell Nintendo what game to make' and the 'Wii U 2014 and beyond thread' into this new thread.

Disclaimer: Goron_3 didn't start this thread, his just happened to come first chronologically ;p

Edited by Retro_Link

Wonderful 101 isn't a Nintendo game anyway, it's all Platinum Games' work and inventiveness.

Nintendo paid for it and apparently own the IP.

Do you say Uncharted isn't a Sony IP? Or Infamous? Same situation.

I'd take the gameplay of the Mario's and Zelda's over narrative anyday! For example, the Uncharted games, they're good games and I enjoyed them because of the narrative but I felt the gameplay was lacking somewhat and so they don't make the grade for me in comparison to other games, say, Batman Arkham City!

Im the opposite and its why ive stopped getting a lot of Nintendo games for now. The narrative is what changes games up enough that I can accept the same kind of gameplay in multiple titles. So many Nintendo titles were starting to feel like they were just the same games over and over again and without interesting stories I couldnt bring myself to care.

I may well come back to Nintendo but it probably wont be until I have sat out for a whole generation so try and get rid of this fatigue I have (if they are still in the home console market of course).

maaaaaaybe

*tries to distract Serebii*... Looks Serebii, a wild Pokemon appeared!!!!

Anyway that's not the point here.

The discussion was about the need for Nintendo's own teams to create new IP's... when W101 starting getting mentioned, I clarified that it hadn't come from Nintendo.

Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch Studios are Sony's own first-party studios.

It's like claiming that Heavy Rain or Beyond: Two Souls are Sony's IPs, but everyone considers them to belong to Quantic Dreams.

No, he said it had to be different gameplay too if you look back at his post.

I did read his post, I was trying to deconstruct his statement, because as I originally said, I didn't understand his post - I wanted to see where he stood on the situation

I guess the gameplay is good enough to stand on it's own even had it been released under the Mario umbrella, but I'd much rather have it as it is, with it's own identity and universe. I love Pikmin.

Which I think I now do.

Perhaps your logic is that with a new franchise, or just even one off IP, Nintendo would have to REALLY make it stand out and be awesome.

I see that... but they would also have to advertise it to sell enough for it to have been financially viable.

If they can slap a Mario or Zelda sticker on it, enough people will pay attention that advertising costs can be trimmed for the same result.

Really the company and the fan in this situation have different needs, and while Nintendo will extend the odd olive branch out to fans, primarily they are concerned with their business interests.

It's a bit like young kids and parents, the less power you have the more frustrated (and influenced) you can become by the more powerful member in the relationship. Developers are more like teens/adult children moved out of the home, perhaps they have more sway over Nintendo, but why try to influence it when PS4 and X1 are an alternative?

Edited by Pestneb

Or it could just be really good and spread through word of mouth. Don't think I saw any TLOU adverts on TV and knew about it solely through reviews, which every game is guaranteed anyway.

Not saying advertising doesn't help (it definitely does), but really good games that aren't too abstract (ie. majorly appeal to the public) are bound to do well regardless.

Anyway, I think Nintendo's IPs are rather unique in that they can be quite varied. A lot of games strive on continuing the plot and slowly improving gameplay aspects (and in some cases, that's great), whereas Nintendo's franchises can change completely.

Although I do think Nintendo do need another western developer - snap up a load of the out-of-work talent in the UK to start a new UK studio and get them to work on something new.

Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch Studios are Sony's own first-party studios.

It's like claiming that Heavy Rain or Beyond: Two Souls are Sony's IPs, but everyone considers them to belong to Quantic Dreams.

Ok, Uncharted you're correct. Infamous, no. It started off in the exact same situation as Wonderful 101. Sucker Punch didn't become a subsidiary of Sony until two years after the release of the first game, same year as the second was released so technically that is the case there too.

Ok, Uncharted you're correct. Infamous, no. It started off in the exact same situation as Wonderful 101. Sucker Punch didn't become a subsidiary of Sony until two years after the release of the first game, same year as the second was released so technically that is the case there too.
I don't really see why it matters? Don't need to compare everything to Sony and Microsoft all the time. It's like constant points scoring.

And anyway, people are extremely happy with Sony's First Party/Exclusives output, where ever they come from.

The discussion is there are a number of Nintendo/used-to-be-Nintendo fans who aren't happy with Nintendo's First Party IP choices and decisions. Likewise there are fans who are very happy with the games we are getting. Are, or are Nintendo not doing enough? What else could they be doing?

Edited by Retro_Link

Nintendo need to bring out a NerveGear and brainwash us all into buying their games again.

I think Nintendo need to go with more new IP's but with more risk. Steel Driver isnt the answer. Yes the first game of AAA new IP may not be a huge success and print money but sometimes risks have to be taken.

What's a bit frustrating is the more risky/that-something-abit-different new IP do seem to be there within Nintendo... they just keep cancelling them...

Yes these games don't look much from these video's but the concepts could all be developed.

And how about Nintendo take on Eternal Darkness themselves? Actually Retro Studios could be fantastic at developing a sequel to that game, no one does atmosphere better than them!

I'm genuinly curious what the development and philosophy was behind this game:

Disaster_Day_of_Crisis.jpg

Was it NINTENDO's attempt to get a piece o' that 'gritty, narrative lovin' Sony/Xbox crowd'?

Ah man, a sequel to that would be a pretty exciting announcement!

It could have some quite exciting uses of the Gamepad too! High pressure moments using it in quite a similar way to ZombiU.

Trying to hack into a doorway on the gamepad as a Fire/Tidal Wave approaches on the TV! etc...