Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Nintendo and Online Gaming. What's The Deal?

Hero-of-Time

Still D1 content locked behind a paywall. Shitty practice.

And yeah, I don't want the figurines. Clutter.

I'm sure you can survive without racing costumes for your Miis in Mario Kart, or a second Yoshi ball to use in Woolley World. Or the Hide and seek mini game in Captain Toad. Even the Splatoon integration is barely enough to be called DLC. Plus as Zech says, one amiibo works in multiple games, which is a great little perk they didn't have to include.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure you can survive without racing costumes for your Miis in Mario Kart, or a second Yoshi ball to use in Woolley World. Or the Hide and seek mini game in Captain Toad. Even the Splatoon integration is barely enough to be called DLC. Plus as Zech says, one amiibo works in multiple games, which is a great little perk they didn't have to include.

I'm sure I can survive without all that paid DLC, yeah. My point was never meant to be a big one, just that this is a bit of a crappy practice since the content is already developed at launch of the game (in this case at least). They're just partitioning a portion of their content off in order to make an extra buck.

I personally don't consider it DLC. I buy amiibo for the figurines. The fact that they unlock small bonus features in multiple games is just that, a bonus. No one would consider having a second Yoshi ball in Woolley World to be £11 DLC.

I personally don't consider it DLC.

You're right; in a sense it's worse than DLC. It's not downloadable content because it's already on the disc. You're paying extra to unlock content you already have on the disc you bought. Perhaps we should call it ULC (unlockable content).

I agree it could be worse though (like entire levels or missions) but it's still not a good thing.

Also your personal circumstances mean it's a good deal for you as you like collecting amiibo. Surely you can see it from the other side though?

I could see it from the other side if the unloackable content was in any way interesting, but it's not. They're small little bonuses that barely amount to anything. They're good value for money (being transferable and applicable to multiple games). Nintendo's financials are struggling, an additional revenue stream for them is a good thing. I don't think it's worth getting angry or annoyed about.

Also, you can just borrow your friends amiibo and unlock it.

Sheikah, I know you can argue with a paper bag, but although amiibo is 'like' DLC. It isn't the same thing. Why can't you just accept other people thinking differently to you, especially when they clearly explain what those differences are!!

Yes, you did. You pointed out differences beteen amiibos and 'standard' DLC. Yet you still don't get the very, very simple point that I am putting forward to you:

It's still paid D1 DLC.

You have to pay in order to unlock game content that is already on the disc.

It's content that, if it was already developed, could easily have been 'unlocked' for all customers. The simple fact is, it isn't. Nintendo aren't the first company to do this, but it is regardless a shitty practice. Continuing to spin this as something completely different is not going to help your point here.

It's not DLC.

It doesn't require downloading.

:P

It's not DLC.

It doesn't require downloading.

:P

Yep, I already clarified that in my post before this one, and I pointed out that it's actually worse! Since at least DLC might come later and might have had further time/effort put into it to justify the cost.

Also, you can just borrow your friends amiibo and unlock it.

Sheikah, I know you can argue with a paper bag, but although amiibo is 'like' DLC. It isn't the same thing. Why can't you just accept other people thinking differently to you, especially when they clearly explain what those differences are!!

Because I just explained, with perfect clarity, why the attempts people have made to explain the differences still do not topple the fact you have to pay to unlock content already on the disc. Until someone can challenge that point, nobody can argue against what I'm saying. You're all coming across as overzealous fanboys in trying to justify this, tbh.

I could see it from the other side if the unloackable content was in any way interesting, but it's not. They're small little bonuses that barely amount to anything. They're good value for money (being transferable and applicable to multiple games). Nintendo's financials are struggling, an additional revenue stream for them is a good thing. I don't think it's worth getting angry or annoyed about.

The last sentence in particular, does not change the fact that this is content ringfenced behind a paywall.

Say what you like to mitigate the content, but it's still the very thing that I'm saying it is.

Edited by Sheikah
Automerged Doublepost

Because I just explained, with perfect clarity, why the attempts people have made to explain the differences still do not remove the fact you have to pay to unlock content already on the disc. Until someone can challenge that point, nobody can argue against what I'm saying.

I challenged it, borrow your friends amiibo. You conveniently ignored it. I took my amiibo to my brothers house and unlocked all the mario kart costumes. NOT PAID FOR!

Because I just explained, with perfect clarity, why the attempts people have made to explain the differences still do not remove the fact you have to pay to unlock content already on the disc. Until someone can challenge that point, nobody can argue against what I'm saying.

It can't be challenged because it's exactly what it is. People can spin how they want but the fact is this.

Is there content on the disc that is locked? Yes

Do you need to purchase something outside the main game to unlock said content? Yes

Whether the content is worth it or not is up to the player but the fact that it is there cannot be argued.

Until someone can challenge that point, nobody can argue against what I'm saying.

And despite everyone disagreeing with him, raising numerous valid points, listing differences between DLC and Amiibo, he declares himself 'winner' of the argument and declares triumphantly that no one can argue against his magnificent point!

HAHAHA

I challenged it, borrow your friends amiibo. You conveniently ignored it. I took my amiibo to my brothers house and unlocked all the mario kart costumes. NOT PAID FOR!

In which case, I get my friend to login on his PSN on my PS4, download the content, and I now have it.

There. Now your argument is gone, and we are back on level terms.

Checkmate, biatch.

While it's good in practice, it's not that easy for some. None of my mates have Amiibo ( only one has a Wii U ) so if I want the content it I have to buy them myself.

And despite everyone disagreeing with him

Everyone is not disagreeing with me. Just the usual Nintendo fanboys. :D And kav, to be fair, who is not as blinded by the company as the rest of you.

It can't be challenged because it's exactly what it is. People can spin how they want but the fact is this.

Do you need to purchase something outside the main game to unlock said content? Yes

Whether the content is worth it or not is up to the player but the fact that it is there cannot be argued.

And here comes the levelheaded peeps, Zechs. :heh:

Edited by Sheikah
Automerged Doublepost

There's content on six games that are locked. You then need to purchase something to unlock bonus features in all six games, and you get a nifty little figurine out of it as well. You can also take said figurine to your mate's house and unlock stuff on all of his games as well.

Yes it's day 1 unlockable content, but so what? It's great value for money and hardly necessary. If it helps create a stronger Nintendo then I'm all for it.

Yes it's day 1 unlockable content, but so what? It's great value for money and hardly necessary. If it helps create a stronger Nintendo then I'm all for it.

Again, not sure what the argument is here, because if you love amiibo and you're buying them anyway then the fact there's content that you can unlock at no additional cost is fine for you. But for people who don't want amiibo, it's nothing short of what I've been saying. That's all the point I've been making!

The thing with the Amiibo is that they can be used on multiple games across multiple systems. This is why you're incorrect @Sheikah.

The Amiibo isn't Day 1 DLC, it's simply a key. Splatoon has Day 1 DLC, correct, but Amiibo is not that DLC because it can be used with other games too to unlock other DLC, so in this respect Amiibo is fantastic value.

Calling out Nintendo for making the Splatoon DLC Day 1 DLC is fair enough I agree, but to call out the Amiibo as being Day 1 DLC is incorrect as it's much more than that.

Still, I do think they should offer the DLC separately to being unlocked by Amiibo in their games.

Edited by Kav

That's not always the case, The Link amiibo gets you a whole new weapon on Hyrule Warriors. That's pretty substantial.

The thing with the Amiibo is that they can be used on multiple games across multiple systems. This is why you're incorrect @Sheikah.

The Amiibo isn't Day 1 DLC, it's simply a key. Splatoon has Day 1 DLC, correct, but Amiibo is not that DLC because it can be used with other games too to unlock other DLC, so in this respect Amiibo is fantastic value.

Calling out Nintendo for making the Splatoon DLC Day 1 DLC is fair enough I agree, but to call out the Amiibo as being Day 1 DLC is incorrect as it's much more than that.

Still, I do think they should offer the DLC separately to being unlocked by Amiibo in their games.

And how do you get that 'key'? You purchase it.

I really don't see how you don't get it. You buy something. That thing you buy unlocks content already on the disc. It's D1 purchasable DLC/ULC (whatever the fack we are going to call it). And in your counter argument there, you're basically saying that amiibo unlocks DLC in more than one game. How does the fact it unlocks more than one set of DLC make a difference to what I'm saying?

The fact there is an intermediary step (money>amiibo>content) does not at all detract from what I'm saying. The fact you get a figure out of it as well does not detract from what I'm saying (as only some of the money you pay for it goes to production of the figure). The fact it may work in more than one game, again, does not detract from what I'm saying. You're paying for something that unlocks content, that is already on the disc.

What you're arguing is like if I argued it was free to play online on PS4, and the cost of PS Plus was just for the games you get. You can't look at the total cost of something and assign it to one thing. It's like saying "this cost is just for the figure, the content it unlocks is a free bonus". It's a package, and you're paying for the lot.

To add Hero's input here:

Can you guys really not see it?

Edited by Sheikah

In which case, I get my friend to login on his PSN on my PS4, download the content, and I now have it.

There. Now your argument is gone, and we are back on level terms.

Checkmate, biatch.

No, because it's still DIFFERENT. It's NOT THE SAME. Let's leave it, as always with you, you come in, argue with everyone, refuse to listen to anyone. You say you come in these boards because you 'care' or 'are interested' but it's obvious to most you com in here because you are obsessed with arguing and being negative. I hope you use the internet for this and aren't like this in every day life.

Yeah, the Amiibo is definitely day 1 DLC. You purchase the game but to get everything you also have the purchase the Amiibo, which is also available on Day 1.

It's a different way of doing Day 1 DLC, but that's what people refer to when they are talk about companies doing DLC at launch. The content itself will be ready, but you have to pay to access it.

Asd for you "package" examples, not true. I'm not paying for Hyrule warriors use, or mario party, I just happen to have things that give me little bonuses. Do you know what IS DLC on hyrule warriors? Not the amiibo use, but you know, the actual DLC!!!!

No, because it's still DIFFERENT. It's NOT THE SAME. Let's leave it, as always with you, you come in, argue with everyone, refuse to listen to anyone. You say you come in these boards because you 'care' or 'are interested' but it's obvious to most you com in here because you are obsessed with arguing and being negative. I hope you use the internet for this and aren't like this in every day life.

Hang on, let me get this straight.

Your argument was "I could borrow an amiibo so it is technically free, so it's not paid DLC". I then counter with "I could do the exact same by getting a friend to download the DLC on my PS4" and that's your response?

In fact, this is bullshit. If you're going to counter my point, do it. Don't start wailing about what you think about me and all this crap. I'm not interested in that.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!