N-Europe

recommend any manga/japanese films?

spirited away

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a film on BBC 4 last night which featured gay male-on-male samurai bumsex. First for everything!

I saw it! It was a pretty good film. I liked the ending when the guy choped the cherry blossom tree in half.

Ping Pong's on tonight. Is anyone else really loving the Asain Invasion season?

Is it me or has only one person recommended AKIRA? That film was amazing, but i only got the digitally remastered version, but its still great.

I like anime and manga, but i only got a manga film and thats it. Im gonna keep my eyes glued to this thread, i need to know what im missing out on..

There was a film on BBC 4 last night which featured gay male-on-male samurai bumsex. First for everything!

Probably not a first to be honest. Kinda like a hardcore Japanese Brokeback by the sounds though.

And as far as Akira; I watched it but found it really unsettling (which could be a good thing as I think that was the intention) so I don't wish to see it again. Looked nice though, visually.

Grave of the Fireflies. Has anyone mentioned that yet? Grave of the Fireflies is quite simply, in my opinion, one of the best films Studio Ghibli has ever poduced. Set in war-torn Japan, it's about a young man and his little sister trying to survive after their home is destroyed by the US firebombs. It's a beautiful, touching, heart rending film, and is very adept at dealing with a contentious piece of Japanese history in the most sensitive way possible. It's not about Japan's role in the war, more about the suffering of those innocents caught in the conflict. Be warned though - it's a deep, emotional, horribly depressing, very real film about human suffering, so I wouldn't recommend to anyone looking for a light anime flick to relax with. Cowboy Bebop it aint.

Before they formed Studio Ghibli, Miyazaki and Takahata were already involved in many anime films/series (check out nausicaa.net for an overview of their works). Although they are hard to find on dvd, many of these films are equally as good as their later works.

In the 1970s Miyazaki directed the serie 'Conan: the boy in the future' which I own on DVD (an extremely rare to find DVD, I might add). You can read about the serie and watch the first two episodes here: http://www.highharbor.net/en/

Another pre-Ghibli Miyazaki film I would recommend is 'Lupin the 3rd: Castle of Cagliostro' a lighthearted action/romance film, very underrated.

the only thing i have to say about this section is ghost in a shell 2 innocence

: peace: :cry:::shrug::shakehead:yay::bouncy: :shock: :shakehead:D;):confused::woops:

thats kind of what i thought. its blllllllloooooooooooooody amzin and sorry if poeple have alredy talked about it i havent read any of the posts

but my god its the best thing i have seen on the screen for a long time better than most normal films that have relese dates in the cinema in england for a long time i mean its just too much too take in all at once

i bloody love it i do and if you havent seen it or the first one you should do your self a favor and get your s elf a sage