Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The Order: 1886

Daft

Picked this up last night, completed it this morning and got the Platinum.

You know what, I really enjoyed it. Sadly it reeks of wasted potential but I thought it was pretty gripping and the gunplay was superb.

The levels could/should have been more more expansive, given you a few more options for movement. Instead of dodging grenades, you should really be able to throw them back too.

And yes, I really think this game should have had an online mode. It's basically GoW and that had a great online mode.

Anyway, for £20, it was a blast.

I really liked Galahad. Sad that we'll likely never get a sequel.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what, I really enjoyed it. Sadly it reeks of wasted potential but I thought it was pretty gripping and the gunplay was superb.

The levels could/should have been more more expansive, given you a few more options for movement. Instead of dodging grenades, you should really be able to throw them back too.

And yes, I really think this game should have had an online mode. It's basically GoW and that had a great online mode.

£20 tech demo :p

Other than I bought it for full price, completely agree with what you said. I thoroughly enjoyed the game and it's setting. And some of the weapons are just OP in the best ways. Thermite Gun 4lyfe.

I do wish it has been longer though. It just felt too short and cut out when it was picking up the most steam. Soooo 1887 will be a instant purchase.

Other than I bought it for full price, completely agree with what you said. I thoroughly enjoyed the game and it's setting. And some of the weapons are just OP in the best ways. Thermite Gun 4lyfe.

I do wish it has been longer though. It just felt too short and cut out when it was picking up the most steam. Soooo 1887 will be a instant purchase.

Thermite gun was fucking awesome.

Like @Daft, I loved the gun play. I only wish the werewolf/monster fighting bits were a bit more interesting, as they were my least favourite thing about the game.

I do think that there will be a sequel and it will be a better game. Keep the gun play, keep the setting, keep the beautiful graphics, sound and story. Give us a multiplayer to add longevity, maybe a few more things to collect and just generally more chapters. I'll be sad if we don't get to continue this story.

Actually....I would like to be able to move faster.... The walking sections were a bit painful if you wanted to explore a bit.

I liked that because I felt it was in-keeping with the mood of the game. Plus, it gave us a bit of time to admire that gorgeous scenery.

I'm not sure how they would add variety to the game. For all of the criticism that they received, I actually liked the QTEs and felt that they didn't feel out of place at all. One area I think reviewers badly got wrong, in my opinion.

The walking pace was definitely keeping with the mood of the game. It wouldn't make sense to be racing about when they try to not disturb the people too much. But I like checking the nooks and crannies sometimes and bleh to that walk speed.

More variety could simply just come from wider arenas with more choice in the gun play...and more lycan sequences. Slightly tweaked to have a less predictable pattern. I could take or leave the QTEs. I liked how they handled them though, failure isn't an instant loss and they felt more organic than most QTEs are.

Glad to see you enjoyed it, @Daft.

I think it's a great game that got reviewed very harshly. It done exactly what it set out to do, which was to deliver a very story driven experience.

It's a shame we will probably never get a sequel to this. The story, setting and characters are interesting enough to warrant another crack at it.

• 1 month later...

Played a bit more of this tonight, absolutely loving it. When you go in expecting a cinematic, story-driven game it makes the experience far more enjoyable. I got to the part where I was searching through the streets of Whitechapel, chapter 3 I believe. I've just called in air support and that's where I put the controller down. Any hints how far into the story I am?

Visually and presentation wise it's easily the best game game I've ever played. I really like the exploring, although the "collectibles" seem a little pointless and I wish there was a little bit more interactivity. Gunplay is good fun although I find aiming quite tricky to get spot on. Still, really really enjoying it.

Played a bit more of this tonight, absolutely loving it. When you go in expecting a cinematic, story-driven game it makes the experience far more enjoyable. I got to the part where I was searching through the streets of Whitechapel, chapter 3 I believe. I've just called in air support and that's where I put the controller down. Any hints how far into the story I am?

There's 16 chapters in the game, so you're still early on. Good to see you are enjoying it, though. For me, it's a game that got harshly critisised by the press and I think a lot of gamers just jumped on the bandwagon, without actually playing the game themselves.

I think the most pressing issue with it is its price and lack of replayability. Not that it would have been possible – because I can't imagine what the budget was – but it should have been a budget title. About £30/35.

Otherwise it's a throughly enjoyable game. Picking it up cheap, I wasn't bothered about 'getting my money's worth' because I'd get that with one play through precisely because I bought it cheap.

I really loved the physicality of the guns. They felt really satisfying to use.

I really loved Galahad too, by the end of it. I hope Sony do something with the IP, even if that means changing its genre, but I doubt it sadly.

Played a bit more of this tonight, absolutely loving it. When you go in expecting a cinematic, story-driven game it makes the experience far more enjoyable.

I'm glad that you're enjoying the game. :D

I had a fantastic time with it. Eager for there to be a sequel to carry on the story.

Played a bit more last night, f%&k me sneaking through the underground and hospital was spooky. The Lycan elder sequence was really well done too, for a bunch of quicktime events that is. I was really hoping the action would make it up to one of the airships and it looks like it's going to :) Put the controller down at the start of the Agamemnon chapter.

Played a bit more last night, f%&k me sneaking through the underground and hospital was spooky. The Lycan elder sequence was really well done too, for a bunch of quicktime events that is. I was really hoping the action would make it up to one of the airships and it looks like it's going to :) Put the controller down at the start of the Agamemnon chapter.

What do you think of the music? The soundtrack is on Spotify if you ever fancy a re-listen. It's such a great soundtrack.

Seems really good, I'm not the biggest audiophile tbh but I'm enjoying it. The whole mood and presentation is spot on, incredible atmosphere and ambience. I do find myself checking every corner for interactive bits which is a little distracting but that's a minor issue.

Played the airship chapter last night, LOVED IT. Easily my favourite setting so far, just a beautiful location. Had some trouble killing the guy in the knight's helmet around four fifths of the way through though, took about 10 shots at least.

Finished and Platinum'd this today (who gave me the thumbs up btw? :)). Taken for what the game is, a story-driven interactive adventure, I really loved it. Very glad I experienced it, but probably not something I'd likely go back to as there isn't much reason to, apart from re-living the story.

Presentation and world-building on show was a triumph and probably the best thing about the game. Visuals were stunning, voice acting was excellent, music was great, mood was atmospheric and the editing was top notch. I liked the way the cut scenes blended seamlessly with the action. Photo mode was also great fun, being able to roam around during action sequences, and the various gradings available to mix up the style was a very nice touch. Some scenes actually looked better with certain grades (the ambush on Westminster bridge for instance).

The shooting was pretty fun, I liked it a lot. Except for the bastards who took about a dozen shots to take down. Nice mix of weaponry.

Storyline was a little iffy the longer it went on I thought. It seemed like it hit a wall towards the end and they needed to drag things out for the inevitable sequel. Still decent overall. The characters were pretty compelling.

The final chapter was a little bit of a let down and the ending in general was pretty depressing, but I was expecting that. Was hoping for a bigger setpiece for the finale, but the cramped final level was still ok. The Lycan fights didn't really make much sense, but oh well. I also thought it was strange how Galahad went off the boil because his mate was killed, even though he mows down hundreds of people. Suppose that'll never make sense in a game like this.

Overall, a great game, though perhaps not something that will stick in the mind for very long. Might be more fair to say it was more of an experience than a game.

Some screenshots I took (spoilers)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg