N-Europe

Wii U General Discussion

Hero-of-Time

I'm not posting this to cause controversy or to try and get people to start fighting or something, but it is important.

Nintendo cut net profit predictions for fiscal year from 55 billion yen profit, to 25 billion yen net loss.

Wii U hardware expectations has been cut from 9 million units to 2.8 million units.

Damn right it's important. I wonder how long the keep the wii u going?

I hope investors demand Iwata goes!!

I think people expected sales to be bad, but not that bad. It's really saddening to see. Any word on when December's Nintendo NPD data is available?

The numbers are in. I posted them in the general gaming sales/chart. There's a whole pile of data there. 481k is what Wii U sold and 908k is what 3DS sold in December, not bad, not great for Wii U. 3DS numbers are very good.

Edited by Wii

I think people expected sales to be bad, but not that bad. It's really saddening to see. Any word on when December's Nintendo NPD data is available?

Considering that between April 2013 and October 2013, they only sold around 600,000 units worldwide, anyone could have seen this coming.

OUCH!

On the plus side, with this latest news I reckon I'll be able to get 2 more pro controllers and Deus Ex for under £50 and then my collection is complete.

I'll need a good year to play them all and will take stock next Christmas with a view to picking up a PS4 for next installments of TW, FIFA, COD etc.

Serebii has put up his one man fort on neogaf and it's hilarious..the pitchforks are coming mate!

Iwata..jesus christ. He had 2 great years (07-09) but other than that it's been nothing but broken promises. I still remember when he announced that the GC would hit 50 million units by 2005. Crazy.

Serebii has put up his one man fort on neogaf and it's hilarious..the pitchforks are coming mate!

Iwata..jesus christ. He had 2 great years (07-09) but other than that it's been nothing but broken promises. I still remember when he announced that the GC would hit 50 million units by 2005. Crazy.

Speaking of broken promises.

Iwata says Wii will avoid major droughts that plagued GameCube. (March 2007)

“When we launched GameCube, the initial sales were good, and all the hardware we manufactured at that time were sold through. However, after this period, we could not provide the market with strong software titles in a timely fashion. As a result we could not leverage the initial launch time momentum, and sales of GameCube slowed down. To avoid repeating this with Wii, we have been intensifying the software development, both internally at Nintendo and at developers outside the company, in order to prepare aggressive software lineup for Wii at and after the launch.” says Iwata. He then says, ”We believe it is important to provide the market with strong software without a long interval in order to keep the launch time momentum.”

Iwata promises that 3DS will avoid major droughts that plagued Wii and DS.

“It’s important that you be able to supply software with no pause,” said Iwata. “With the DS and Wii, following the titles that were released at launch, the momentum dropped when there was a gap in software releases. We’re making plans so that this type of thing won’t happen.”

Iwata promises that Wii U will avoid major droughts that plagued 3DS and Wii.

“ As we learned a bitter lesson with the launch of the Nintendo 3DS, we are trying to take every possible measure so that the Wii U will have a successful launch.”

“The company was unable to launch much-anticipated first-party titles for the Wii nor for the Nintendo 3DS in a timely fashion in the first half of the term. In the game platform business, creating momentum is very important, but the momentum was once lost, and it has had a large negative effect on our sales and profits.”

Iwata apologizes for Wii U drought in January and February.

“I apologize to those supporting Wii U about the lack of titles in January and February.”

Gotta love Detective Gaf.

That thread is just filled with stupid people who can't see the big picture.

Yeah, Iwata has messed up and the Wii U isn't doing as well as it should, which is denting Nintendo's financials, but all the ideas people have there would result in Nintendo going under.

Iwata has made many more mistakes than just that imo.

He didn't realise the market trend and invest in western development during the Wii era. Nintendo lived in a bubble during that era and are paying huge price for it.

They also pretty much left the Wii alone from 2010 onwards so why they weren't ready for HD development is beyond me.

The final nail in the coffin though is taking power away from NoA and the disassembly of western first-second party developers. As a result, Nintendo have lost a lot of appeal to western gamers and the brand is heavily damaged.

Those figures are earth shattering. They'll send a quake across the gaming community.

Quakes.

Thats pretty bad from a business point of view.I guess it's not like football though. Kicking Iwata out is no guarantee that the next guy will miraculously "fix" the situation. A lot of suggestions are out there on how Nintendo can turn things around, but the situation isn't entirely in Nintendo's hands.

It's a bit like falling out with a friend, you can do all you want, if that friend isn't open to being friends at all, nothing you can do will "fix" the friendship.

There may be things going on in the back ground, I think to a larger extent than I realised, branding is the issue.

Nintendo may do well to partner up with panasonic (I believe they remain on good terms with them?) And release a new console, with blu-ray and wii U capabilities.Give it a nice name, beef up the wifi, beef up the internal memory from the 32Gb premium to 500GB, or maybe even more. Include an ethernet.

Maybe do something with the game pad (Shrink the screen to reduce costs, or maybe even make it bigger?)

Just an idea. But it would allow them to "scrap" the Wii U, launch a new console, without abandoning the Wii U and without really launching a new console...Give it a new name, to sort the branding issue. I know it didn't really work with the Q, but if they did a huge campaign (maybe a viral?)

I can also think of a few accessories that potentially wouldn't have been ready for launch, but maybe they would be ready for a relaunch of the Panasonic ...playbox? :D nah, but seriously, they could think up a good name. Panasonic have a far more "adult" image over here, they compete with Sony already, so it would open a new front. could be interesting...

Thats pretty bad from a business point of view.I guess it's not like football though. Kicking Iwata out is no guarantee that the next guy will miraculously "fix" the situation. A lot of suggestions are out there on how Nintendo can turn things around, but the situation isn't entirely in Nintendo's hands.

It's a bit like falling out with a friend, you can do all you want, if that friend isn't open to being friends at all, nothing you can do will "fix" the friendship.

There may be things going on in the back ground, I think to a larger extent than I realised, branding is the issue.

Nintendo may do well to partner up with panasonic (I believe they remain on good terms with them?) And release a new console, with blu-ray and wii U capabilities.Give it a nice name, beef up the wifi, beef up the internal memory from the 32Gb premium to 500GB, or maybe even more. Include an ethernet.

Maybe do something with the game pad (Shrink the screen to reduce costs, or maybe even make it bigger?)

Just an idea. But it would allow them to "scrap" the Wii U, launch a new console, without abandoning the Wii U and without really launching a new console...Give it a new name, to sort the branding issue. I know it didn't really work with the Q, but if they did a huge campaign (maybe a viral?)

I can also think of a few accessories that potentially wouldn't have been ready for launch, but maybe they would be ready for a relaunch of the Panasonic ...playbox? :D nah, but seriously, they could think up a good name. Panasonic have a far more "adult" image over here, they compete with Sony already, so it would open a new front. could be interesting...

If anything, with the state of the industry, especially in Japan, getting in someone new would likely result in catastrophic mis-steps such as shifting to smartphone development.

2vjzrb6.jpg

Interestingly enough, this picture might symbolically encompass all that is currently wrong with NINTENDO.

Looking at your last two consoles with an old filter.

or something like that...:laughing:

---

Also, I believe NINTENDO will ride out this storm untill most of their big franchises are out of the gate for the WiiU thinking that 'one game can change it all.'

I tend to think that either Smash Bros., Mario Kart or both will be the games that a good handful of gamers will get the WiiU for as a 2nd console.

If these two games don't boost sales significantly or have any legs then the WiiU might be doomed into doing low, but respectable numbers, I hope.

Unless of course they come out with some kind of Pokémon NFC/other Brilliant NFC game.

Edited by Fused King

seriously though... they can't ditch the Wii U, any thoughts otherwise are ridiculous. They can't just bring out another console, they take years and millions of pounds to develop and the one thing Nintendo can't do is ditch the 4 million loyal consumers they have.

A console life span is a minimum of 5 years, Nintendo need to ride the storm this year, but make sure that by next Christmas they have games coming out that make the Wii U a desirable item and pitch it at a price point where it become an impulse buy and for christs sake get MK8 and Smash Bros to market. They can ride the storm financially they still sold more hardware than either Sony or Microsoft last year and let's not forget that Sony are in exactly the same boat with Vita

People are probably bored of hearing me say this on here, but it's a fantastic console, the problem is re-releasing games like Wii Fit, Wii Party etc don't do enough to make the average Wii owner upgrade, when they can just keep playing the same game on the Wii. The Wii was never about graphics so rehashing games with better graphics is not an enticement.

seriously though... they can't ditch the Wii U, any thoughts otherwise are ridiculous. They can't just bring out another console, they take years and millions of pounds to develop and the one thing Nintendo can't do is ditch the 4 million loyal consumers they have.

A console life span is a minimum of 5 years, Nintendo need to ride the storm this year, but make sure that by next Christmas they have games coming out that make the Wii U a desirable item and pitch it at a price point where it become an impulse buy and for christs sake get MK8 and Smash Bros to market. They can ride the storm financially they still sold more hardware than either Sony or Microsoft last year and let's not forget that Sony are in exactly the same boat with Vita

People are probably bored of hearing me say this on here, but it's a fantastic console, the problem is re-releasing games like Wii Fit, Wii Party etc don't do enough to make the average Wii owner upgrade, when they can just keep playing the same game on the Wii. The Wii was never about graphics so rehashing games with better graphics is not an enticement.

So keep sinking money into a dying console. I think any new developments should be shifted to launch titles for the next handheld/console.

Mario Kart and Smash never save the Gamecube. Yes release them but they are not going to change the fortunes around for the console.