NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

Taken from Gaf.

Nintendo's comeback strategy includes expanding customer choice by adding more affordable software titles, President Satoru Iwata revealed in a recent interview with The Nikkei.

The Japanese company plans to re-create games for the Nintendo 3DS portable system based on past titles and smartphone offerings. Keeping development costs low will enable it to provide the content at prices as low as several hundred yen.

Free trial versions will also be increased. The idea is to boost the name recognition of new titles and drive purchases of the full versions by letting people play the first stages gratis.

Iwata also mentions to expect no price-cut in the near future, and expects Nintendo-like profits in the year ending March 2017.

I would prefer future Nintendo consoles to have som backward compatibility. Like some others, due to financial reasons I trade my old consoles in to get the new one.

Failing that I say keep evolving the virtual console service. I do like that service. Such a shame that I can't download any old playstation classics onto my PS4

Failing that I say keep evolving the virtual console service. I do like that service. Such a shame that I can't download any old playstation classics onto my PS4

Yeah, I love the VC. I've probably spent more time playing those classic games ( on both 3DS and Wii U ) than I have playing newer titles, especially towards the end of last year and beginning of this year. I just wish Nintendo would get the Cube and N64 on the service as well. I think that ship has sailed for the Wii U but hopefully they will get it sorted for their next console. It would be amazing to have Cube and N64 games ready for launch.

It's a shame some 3rd parties have abandoned the platform though. It would have been great to play some Mega Drive classics on the Gamepad with save states and Miiverse enabled. Still baffles me why S-E haven't released anything in the West yet as well. :wtf:

Yeah, I love the VC. I've probably spent more time playing those classic games ( on both 3DS and Wii U ) than I have playing newer titles, especially towards the end of last year and beginning of this year. I just wish Nintendo would get the Cube and N64 on the service as well. I think that ship has sailed for the Wii U but hopefully they will get it sorted for their next console. It would be amazing to have Cube and N64 games ready for launch.

It's a shame some 3rd parties have abandoned the platform though. It would have been great to play some Mega Drive classics on the Gamepad with save states and Miiverse enabled. Still baffles me why S-E haven't released anything in the West yet as well. :wtf:

Is there any official reasoning why Mega Drive games didn't make the jump form the Wii to the U, do you know?

From what I remember, Mega Drive games were pretty much on VC at launch for the Wii, or there abouts, and they can't have known what a success the Wii would be!

Agreed though, I mentioned earlier in this thread how Wii was perfect (not @Wii ;) ) as we had a new Zelda, N64 games on VC and Cube compatibility = my idea of Nintendo gaming heaven :D

Is there any official reasoning why Mega Drive games didn't make the jump form the Wii to the U, do you know?

From what I remember, Mega Drive games were pretty much on VC at launch for the Wii, or there abouts, and they can't have known what a success the Wii would be!

Agreed though, I mentioned earlier in this thread how Wii was perfect (not @Wii ;) ) as we had a new Zelda, N64 games on VC and Cube compatibility = my idea of Nintendo gaming heaven :D

Third party options. The third parties don't see the profit in it which is why so few third party outings, both on and off Nintendo formats, have made it over.

Third party options. The third parties don't see the profit in it which is why so few third party outings, both on and off Nintendo formats, have made it over.

Sega don't see profit in releasing Mega Drive games on the Wii U?

I'm pretty sure that Sonic the Hedgehog has been ported to more platforms than any other game.

They would literally be able to launch their next console and handheld with hundreds (if not, possibly even thousands) of high quality games available from day 1, all at very affordable prices (which in this age of heavily price conscious consumers, is a HUGE selling point!), all using controllers that you already own!

Why do I feel like I've heard this somewhere before...

You basically said hardcore faithful levels of emulation was what made the VC games desirable. But you see, customers who want to pick up games on either VC or PSN have the same expectations. PSN/VC are, for all intents and purposes, interchangeable terms in this context. Nintendo customers want the games they loved because they are great and they don't want them to run like shit, which is the same as PS1 gamers.

Without weighing too much into this debate - I feel the above is the most sensible/accurate thing said. I don't at all understand why either of you are generalising or polarising the different systems' audiences. I for one fall into the VC audience, and no part of the quality of emulation has particularly sprung into my mind when making purchasing decisions.

I've never really understood this whole obsession with backwards compatibility and it's not something that immediately springs to mind when I think of what the WiiU's successor needs in order to succeed. Actually, there's about a dozen or so things that would appear before it on the list. The whole point seems a bit...ridiculous when it can't even get current/next gen games on the system. I'd be more worried about that happening again than whether or not we can play Wii/WiiU games on the next one.

Whilst I kinda agree with the sentiment - it's become a bit more standard to have. Whilst it's never affected me so much as I never get rid of consoles, I can certainly see the appeal especially in the whole opportunity of people playing old games via digital download etc.

I appreciate BC, but I definitely agree I wouldn't take it at the cost of other aspects of the system. Should be a nice 'on-top' rather than any particular sort of priority.

Don't get me wrong, I did like you, loved my Cube to pieces and the games too, but nobody bought it!

I definitely knew far more people with Gamecubes than I do people with WiiUs ;)

Nintendo - Happy Valentine's Day!

Quite nice, though they should have just gotten some 2-player footage of Mario and Peach for the 3D world bit if they're going with a Valentine's vibe. Also, I'll 'clay' with you 'always'? Wat. Srsly should have put a bit more work into that, and probably just sacked off anything there but 'Poyo!' instead.

Nintendo was apparently trying to create a licensed game out of a huge property at one point

According to Unseen64’s Liam Robertson, Nintendo was, at one point, attempting to create a licensed game that would have featured a huge property. Robertson said that the franchise in question is “like Star Wars level big”. Additional information hasn’t been shared yet, but we do know that the IP Nintendo was interested in had nothing to do with gaming.

Below is a roundup of Robertson’s tweets:

[TWEET]564078162750230529[/TWEET]

[TWEET]564078470868008961[/TWEET]

[TWEET]564079381325561856[/TWEET]

[TWEET]564079131944828928[/TWEET]

For those who are unaware, Unseen64 often digs up information regarding cancelled gaming projects. We’ll bring you more information when we have it.

http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-was-apparently-trying-to-create-a-licensed-game-out-of-a-huge-property-at-one-point/

Don't you just love being teased like that and not told what it was? It could be anything. LOTR?

And what this guy says holds some substance?

Yes, they've been accurate on loads of things in the past.

Yes, they've been accurate on loads of things in the past.

Such as.

I mean I've predicted correct scores in football several times doesn't mean I'm mystic meg.

Could also be Harry Potter related perhaps....

I think that's the best guess. Sort of the right demographic, especially if this was in the last ten years or so.

Looks like you were right!

In 1998, Nintendo of America’s internal team, Nintendo Software Technology developed a pitch to lock down exclusive access to the Harry Potter rights. Had it been successful, Nintendo would have secured the rights to produce all adaptations of the book series for the indefinite future in video game form; potentially preventing the eventual movie adaptations from being created altogether.

Ultimately, Nintendo’s bid was declined by JK Rowling. Our source revealed that the writer turned it down in favor of several other proposals by media giants with greater resources, such as Disney and Universal. Whereas Nintendo was only able to offer forays into the realm of video games, these larger companies had the ability to spread out into TV and film; as well as gaming.

Rowling, in the end, sold the rights to Warner Bros. for a reported £1m. WB would later contract Electronic Arts to create video game adaptations of their film series based off the books. The first, Harry Potter & The Philosopher’s Stone was released in 2001.

Not surprising that they would get turned down. Could you imagine the JK Rowling estate allowing the games to be platform exclusive? Not a chance.

Still, NST would've been a good fit for those games... But it also would've meant that none of the Mario VS DK games would've been made, nor Wave Race Blue Storm, or 1080 Avalanche, or any of NST's other works (not to mention their middleware development or even possibly the N64 emulators for GCN and Wii)

In the long run, Nintendo won out because the games were still available on their platforms (and generally sold at least as well as on any other console) anyway and they didn't need to use up an internal studio to get them.

I would love to try those hypothetical games.

Impossible, of course, but a part of me wonders what could have been.

I can't see Ninty Harry Potter being anything less than fun.

I would love to try those hypothetical games.

Impossible, of course, but a part of me wonders what could have been.

I can't see Ninty Harry Potter being anything less than fun.

I don't think even Nintendo could make Harry Potter fun. :heh: And that speaks volumes about what I think of Harry Potter.

From the description my money was on the same - don't think I can think of any bigger franchise in recent years(unless it's a more longstanding one). Games have been made from HP already though, no? Disney too? Lego's been done a lot. What else is big big?

Games have been made from HP already though, no?

Not in 1998, when Ninty made the offer. I believe only 2 books were out at that time?

It'd be 3 years until EA made Philosopher's stone.

From the description my money was on the same - don't think I can think of any bigger franchise in recent years(unless it's a more longstanding one). Games have been made from HP already though, no? Disney too? Lego's been done a lot. What else is big big?

It was Harry Potter, before Harry Potter was the big movie blockbuster