NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

You really think Nintendo only fans have a better deal with the games from just one overarching company they'll be getting from now on relative to pretty much all the other games, visions and ideas that come from everyone else? Come on man, Nintendo just aren't that good.

Haha, it's obviously different for everyone, but I think Mario 3D world, Mario Kart, Smash Wii U etc will be remembered far longer than Infmaous 3, drive club, assassins creed titles, even alien etc But maybe not. It's subjective. Personally, I prefer Nintendo's titles than most others, by a long long way, they just fit my sensibilities and what i want from gaming. But they won't everyones. But in answer to your question, personally, I think not playing Nintendo's games would be far far far far worse than missing out on the others yeah; in fact I think missing out on Nintendos games is worse than a lot of things in life :)

More stupid questions from a n00b:

1) what's a good/best value external Hard drive to use? I've only ever used Lacie Rugged drives for my computer.

2) even more n00bish - I've never bought a TV or anything (just shared families one and lived without one at university) - what specs would one look for in a TV if they wanted to get the best out of the Wii U (or any console really)? Again, not hugely in need of cinema style screens here but just wanted an idea from people who would know.

3) does the WiiU premium pack come with two controllers? I assume not. I would just use current Wii remotes but I think my sister might have killed the rechargeable batteries by leaving them on charge for literally weeks at a time.

God, I know absolutely nothing.

Haha, it's obviously different for everyone, but I think Mario 3D world, Mario Kart, Smash Wii U etc will be remembered far longer than Infmaous 3, drive club, assassins creed titles, even alien etc But maybe not. It's subjective. Personally, I prefer Nintendo's titles than most others, by a long long way, they just fit my sensibilities and what i want from gaming. But they won't everyones. But in answer to your question, personally, I think not playing Nintendo's games would be far far far far worse than missing out on the others yeah; in fact I think missing out on Nintendos games is worse than a lot of things in life :)

It's not just that small selection though, it'll be the vast majority of quality games you can think of that are coming out that aren't made by Nintendo. There are always brilliant new titles every generation released from someone...what are the chances they'll be coming from one company versus almost every other games company there is? It's inevitable that having access to the overwhelming majority of developers vs one company's portfolio is going to give you the diversity, quality and selection in the long run.

Edited by Sheikah

1) what's a good/best value external Hard drive to use? I've only ever used Lacie Rugged drives for my computer.

2) even more n00bish - I've never bought a TV or anything (just shared families one and lived without one at university) - what specs would one look for in a TV if they wanted to get the best out of the Wii U (or any console really)? Again, not hugely in need of cinema style screens here but just wanted an idea from people who would know.

3) does the WiiU premium pack come with two controllers? I assume not. I would just use current Wii remotes but I think my sister might have killed the rechargeable batteries by leaving them on charge for literally weeks at a time.

1. I, and many others I know, got this one. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0084LZI5Y/ £60 for a 2TB hard drive. It works amazingly

2. Any would do really. 1080p would be nice for Smash

3. Some packs do, some don't.

It's not just that small selection though, it'll be the vast majority of quality games you can think of that are coming out that aren't made by Nintendo. There are always brilliant new titles every generation released from someone...what are the chances they'll be coming from one company versus almost every other games company there is? It's inevitable that having access to the overwhelming majority of developers vs one company's portfolio is going to give you the diversity, quality and selection in the long run.

But I don't think there close to being as good. It doesn't affect me personally as I play everything, but I could live without playing alien and infmous etc but I couldn't Nintendo games. But it's not like Nintendo don't get ANYTHING else. Each generation I feel non Nintendo consoles miss out on way more than Nintendo consoles do.

If I had to pick one console only, I'd pick the WiiU... I'm not missing out on Zelda, Mario and (hopefully) Metroid for anything! Even if it means I'd have no voice-chat. Haha

Soooo glad I don't have to pick just one though!

Couldn't you just get new rechargeable batteries for that?

But I don't think there close to being as good. It doesn't affect me personally as I play everything, but I could live without playing alien and infmous etc but I couldn't Nintendo games. But it's not like Nintendo don't get ANYTHING else. Each generation I feel non Nintendo consoles miss out on way more than Nintendo consoles do.

Different strokes, I guess. For me I could very easily live without the new Mario Kart, Smash and Pikmin, on account of them being highly derivative. More so than most other new generation titles on other consoles (AC Unity looks like a rather big jump, Dark Souls has now moved onto Bloodborne, Destiny was likely the first true console shooter MMO). That's just the beginning, too. About the biggest Nintendo jump so far looks like it's taking place with Zelda and its open world.

Edited by Sheikah

I get what Sheikah is saying but when the games are derived from the best that's ok with me!

I definitely felt the same when it came to gamecube...less so when it came to Wii, now even less so on Wii U. I find it really quite hard to get excited over Smash these days, given it's the fourth time we've seen near enough the same kind of game in 15 years. I'd be super bored with Assassin's Creed as well if it carried on in the same way as AC2. Going with the ship and exploration in AC4 was a great change.

Thats been the same for me. I loved Nintendo games but over the generations I havent felt that ive been getting enough new that its worth it. New Super Mario Bros for example has felt like the exact same game over and over again. I've mentioned before that this is why I think story is so important in my enjoyment of games. The AC series doesnt change all that much but with a new story each time it doesnt matter nearly as much.

Maybe another factor is the difference in age between both those franchises?

I love Assassins Creed and it's a totally fresh experience to me. But than again my first experience with that franchise has been in 2012, on Wii U.

Mario can feel less refreshing to me because I played that since the NES in the eighties, 25-30 years earlier.

So yeah, sometimes it feels like more of the same, but it also proves how strong the franchise is, still getting that amount of praise from a lot of reviewers/gamers/fans.

I'm very interested how fresh Assassins Creed still feels in let's say the year 2030. They are bound to face the same difficulties in maintaining their following over the years.

I'm very interested how fresh Assassins Creed still feels in let's say the year 2030. They are bound to face the same difficulties in maintaining their following over the years.

Oh yeah im sure in 15 years time AC would be very stale but I think the difference is that Ubisoft will have moved on from it long before that. People were already speculating that Watch Dogs was being groomed to take over from the AC franchise.

Nintendo do create new IPs as well of course but sometimes it does feel like they dont do enough in that area and we are still getting the old stuff as well. I know a lot of people absolutely loved 3D World but when I played it, I enjoyed it but still couldnt really shake the feeling that this was just 'another Mario game'.

Oh yeah im sure in 15 years time AC would be very stale but I think the difference is that Ubisoft will have moved on from it long before that. People were already speculating that Watch Dogs was being groomed to take over from the AC franchise.

Nintendo do create new IPs as well of course but sometimes it does feel like they dont do enough in that area and we are still getting the old stuff as well. I know a lot of people absolutely loved 3D World but when I played it, I enjoyed it but still couldnt really shake the feeling that this was just 'another Mario game'.

Hmmm, interesting point. And what about specific genres? Is it just Mario and the Mushroom Kingdom "skin", is it only the 2D or also 3D Mario games, is it Nintendo platform games, or lastly, is it all platform games from all developers?

Sometimes for me it can be enough to put a new skin/virtual world on an existing genre. And sometimes it can be enough to put an existing franchise (or "skin") on a new(ish) genre/mechanic.

In a perfect world we would get new skins/worlds with new mechanics and all new genres.

Hmmm, interesting point. And what about specific genres? Is it just Mario and the Mushroom Kingdom "skin", is it only the 2D or also 3D Mario games, is it Nintendo platform games, or lastly, is it all platform games from all developers?

Sometimes for me it can be enough to put a new skin/virtual world on an existing genre. And sometimes it can be enough to put an existing franchise (or "skin") on a new(ish) genre/mechanic.

In a perfect world we would get new skins/worlds with new mechanics and all new genres.

I think this is where my preference for story in games comes back, with that mixing it up enough that I dont mind the same stuff elsewhere.

Nintendo do tend to favour gameplay over story and thats where over the years my tastes have changed and its started to clash with the type of games Nintendo release. Not always but more and more as the generations have gone on.

Maybe another factor is the difference in age between both those franchises?

I love Assassins Creed and it's a totally fresh experience to me. But than again my first experience with that franchise has been in 2012, on Wii U.

Mario can feel less refreshing to me because I played that since the NES in the eighties, 25-30 years earlier.

So yeah, sometimes it feels like more of the same, but it also proves how strong the franchise is, still getting that amount of praise from a lot of reviewers/gamers/fans.

I think Demon's Souls had it down perfectly. For the first game in the series it had never been heard of and wasn't initially even released over here. Word of mouth and praise got it an EU release, but only on PS3.

Dark Souls was its sequel and that went to every format bar Wii, and was universally renowned and reached many people for the first time.

Dark Souls 2 basically carried on from Dark Souls, more of the same, but it hadn't outstayed its welcome yet. And now they go to Bloodborne before the format got stale (unless they plan to do another DS at some point, but doesn't seem too likely I guess).

Assassin's Creed has a story element that people want to follow, but at the same time they went with ships with AC4 and have now really ramped up the AI and scope of the world by the looks of things for Unity. To me, it looks like a very welcome boost which makes it seem a lot more fresh (fresher than, say, the Pikmin 2 to 3 transition or any NSMB titles).

I think this is where my preference for story in games comes back, with that mixing it up enough that I dont mind the same stuff elsewhere.

Nintendo do tend to favour gameplay over story and thats where over the years my tastes have changed and its started to clash with the type of games Nintendo release. Not always but more and more as the generations have gone on.

Happenstance has summed up my thoughts for me.

Part of why I loved Xenoblade so much was because of the story and character development. You were all on a long journey together with tons of twists and turns. I didn't know what to do with my life when I finished that game. :shakehead

Skyward Sword was the exact opposite. It was probably the first Nintendo game in a long time which actually burned me. The story, character development, emotion and voyage of discovery was all missing. Xenoblade ticked all of the right boxes for what I wanted in a game.

Cinematics are very important for me. It's part of the reason why Ocarina of Time blew my mind when I discovered that for the first time.

Again, good points, and as you point out, a matter of taste.

I prefer a good story myself, but I can't handle more than two or three "large" story based games a year. Zelda, Assassins Creed 4 and maybe a third would be my max in a year. I also get that same fix from certain movies, books and tv series.

I tend to play a lot more bitesized, casual, competitive, multiplayer games on a lot of different platforms; Wii U, 3DS (eshop/vc), Appstore, PC, PSP, Retro consoles.

I think Demon's Souls had it down perfectly. For the first game in the series it had never been heard of and wasn't initially even released over here. Word of mouth and praise got it an EU release, but only on PS3.

Dark Souls was its sequel and that went to every format bar Wii, and was universally renowned and reached many people for the first time.

Dark Souls 2 basically carried on from Dark Souls, more of the same, but it hadn't outstayed its welcome yet. And now they go to Bloodborne before the format got stale (unless they plan to do another DS at some point, but doesn't seem too likely I guess).

Assassin's Creed has a story element that people want to follow, but at the same time they went with ships with AC4 and have now really ramped up the AI and scope of the world by the looks of things for Unity. To me, it looks like a very welcome boost which makes it seem a lot more fresh (fresher than, say, the Pikmin 2 to 3 transition or any NSMB titles).

I can see what you mean, but still I'm not sure if I find it fair to compare the staleness of a >30 year old franchise with one that was launched in 2007 (first Assassins Creed I think?). I find it admirable how Nintendo can still get a lot of gamers enthusiastic about such an old franchise.

Same goes for FIFA and COD for example. Really admirable!

Skyward Sword was the exact opposite. The story, character development, emotion and voyage of discovery was all missing. Xenoblade ticked all of the right boxes for what I wanted in a game.

Cinematics are very important for me. It's part of the reason why Ocarina of Time blew my mind when I discovered that for the first time.

Eh?? Skyward Sword is probably the Zelda game that focused on story the most! Certainly far more than Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.

Thats been the same for me. I loved Nintendo games but over the generations I havent felt that ive been getting enough new that its worth it. New Super Mario Bros for example has felt like the exact same game over and over again. I've mentioned before that this is why I think story is so important in my enjoyment of games. The AC series doesnt change all that much but with a new story each time it doesnt matter nearly as much.

I felt it with New Super Mario Bros 2 on the 3DS, hated it. I did feel it with the Wii U one too but I also loved and felt it was almost 2D platforming perfection in the controls and level design. But the presentation felt so flat and uninspired it soured it a little. Rahman for example isn't as good in either (though has better variety but the presentation is fucking good it elevates it. The starry starry night level in mario was stunning, w whole world like this would have been great, and this level of unique design across the whole game would have really lifted it in my opinion.

How people can think Zelda is the same thing but Assassins creeds are vastly different is a little bizarre to me though.

Eh?? Skyward Sword is probably the Zelda game that focused on story the most! Certainly far more than Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.

I disagree. It starts off well in that regard but then falls very flat in that area around halfway through. Xenoblade was much more consistent from the very start to the very end, at least in terms of cut-scenes/cinematics, developing the characters and progressing the story.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

For the second question - like Serebii said, anything will do, but there's a few things you should look for if you want to get the best out of a console:

-Unless you're buying a small TV, get a 1080p set. It will allow you to play all games at their highest resolution. These are slowly starting to become the standard, but there's still a lot of 720p TVs being sold. In general, 720p TVs are marketed as "HD Ready" and 1080p TVs are marketed as "Full HD". Go Full HD for full happiness!

-Digital TVs all suffer from something known as input lag or display lag. Basically, this means there's slight a delay between your button inputs and the TV display (it's noticeable if you've ever played Guitar Hero on a large TV). Most modern sets have a "Game Mode" which mitigates the input lag by turning off some of the video settings, but even in Game Mode some low-end TVs still have intolerable amounts of input lag. More info here. This isn't something you need to scientifically research, just make sure that you read reviews of whatever TV you're going to buy ensure that they are suitable for gaming.

-Check out what connection ports the TV has. All current-gen consoles require HDMI. You may want to consider getting a TV with multiple HDMI ports if you're thinking of hooking up multiple devices. Or you might want to get a TV with multiple SCART or Composite ports for hooking up older systems.

-Finally, a TV is not just for games. Do you watch Netflix? Think of getting a "smart" TV that you can hook up to the internet via an ethernet cable.

Of course a lot of this depends on your budget. For comparison, about a year and a half ago I bought a 42" Panasonic Plasma for £500. As long as I look after it, it should last me for quite a few years at least.

I disagree. It starts off well in that regard but then falls very flat in that area around halfway through. Xenoblade was much more consistent from the very start to the very end, at least in terms of cut-scenes/cinematics, developing the characters and progressing the story.

Really, I found it kept the story going throughout, especially when you finally meet up with Zelda half-way through and then the whole time travel aspect in the third quarter.

Twilight Princess is the game that started out very strongly story-wise and then completely abandoned it for the second half of the game.

I dont know what it is but ive always struggled to have Zelda games keep my interest, 3D ones especially. I've only ever completed A Link Between Worlds and to be fair, I did really enjoy it.

With regards to the TV situation, you can get some incredible deals atm. In fact, if you're willing to wait until after Christmas, places like John Lewis and Richersounds will do some incredible deals, usually selling their final TV units for ridiculous prices (all with 5 year guarantees). With just a bit of luck you'll come across a full HD, Smart TV that's great for gaming for around £350-500 and maybe even less.