NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

It is a fact, end of. We have had many disagreements on here and everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but trying to argue that the PS4 is cheaper than Wii U is an act of tomfoolery. As you pointed out recently when you falsely accused me of stating you had purchased a PS4, it retails at £330. The RRP for PSN is £40 per annum which is required. So based on a 5 year life span a PS4 will set you back £530. I'm not sure what the RRP for Wii U is at present but even taking the most expensive pack available at launch, the Zombie U bundle was £299 and that came with Zombie U, a game pad and a Pro controller. That's £230 less than a PS4 and if you wanted to be pedantic you could add in the cost of a Vita at circa £200 to enable the PS4 to do exactly what Wii U can do. It is as Black and White as a Penguin playing chess on a zebra crossing that Wii U is considerably cheaper than PS4 to own and perceived values and the depreciation of game values are in no way a valid justification to argue otherwise.

I said it could be cheaper. It's not black and white like you are suggesting. You are taking a very simplified approach to come to your conclusion.

To put it in simpler terms - if a car was cheaper to initially buy than another but had more costly fuel, while the other car also got some fuel topups for free, would you tout the first car as 'cheaper'? Maybe if you don't travel much, you would. Maybe if you travelled lots, you wouldn't.

It is a fact, end of. We have had many disagreements on here and everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but trying to argue that the PS4 is cheaper than Wii U is an act of tomfoolery. As you pointed out recently when you falsely accused me of stating you had purchased a PS4, it retails at £330. The RRP for PSN is £40 per annum which is required. So based on a 5 year life span a PS4 will set you back £530. I'm not sure what the RRP for Wii U is at present but even taking the most expensive pack available at launch, the Zombie U bundle was £299 and that came with Zombie U, a game pad and a Pro controller. That's £230 less than a PS4 and if you wanted to be pedantic you could add in the cost of a Vita at circa £200 to enable the PS4 to do exactly what Wii U can do. It is as Black and White as a Penguin playing chess on a zebra crossing that Wii U is considerably cheaper than PS4 to own and perceived values and the depreciation of game values are in no way a valid justification to argue otherwise.

I don't particularly approve of the way anyone is talking about this subject but it does genuinely feel like both you and dazzy are missing Sheikah's point on purpose.

I don't think Sheikah disagrees that the unit and PS+ subscription is significantly more expensive than a Wii U on it's own. But if you take into account actually owning games over the lifetime of the unit then I think it's very likely that you will pay less on aggregate.

I think that most people would easily get £200 worth of games out of PS+ over 5 years. And most of the games on disc, even the ones really worth getting, will likely drop in price to £20 or even £15.

Compare that with Nintendo games that due to supply and demand, happily sit at £30 for a long time even waaaaay after they have been released.

I don't really understand why you guys don't see this as a possible value argument. You are stating facts which are true enough without taking into account the real world scenario, that although is only a possibility and cannot be proven, is quite likely.

Let's not even get onto the fact that the PS4 will likely price drop down to £250 quite easily in time.

I don't particularly approve of the way anyone is talking about this subject but it does genuinely feel like both you and dazzy are missing Sheikah's point on purpose.

I don't think Sheikah disagrees that the unit and PS+ subscription is significantly more expensive than a Wii U on it's own. But if you take into account actually owning games over the lifetime of the unit then I think it's very likely that you will pay less on aggregate.

I think that most people would easily get £200 worth of games out of PS+ over 5 years. And most of the games on disc, even the ones really worth getting, will likely drop in price to £20 or even £15.

Compare that with Nintendo games that due to supply and demand, happily sit at £30 for a long time even waaaaay after they have been released.

I don't really understand why you guys don't see this as a possible value argument. You are stating facts which are true enough without taking into account the real world scenario, that although is only a possibility and cannot be proven, is quite likely.

Let's not even get onto the fact that the PS4 will likely price drop down to £250 quite easily in time.

Hmmm. No I get it. But it was actually me who started this whole thing, by saying it was good there was a different option on the market, a cheaper option for people who wanted a cheaper console and not to pay monthly fee to play online. Sheikah then argued against it, by missing my point, that's the issue. YES, in different cases one may be better VALUE in the long run, which I have already said, but the wii u is a cheaper console, more so without the monthly fees. All factually correct. Forget all the caveats and different add ons and situations.... Sheikah added this to somehow defined Sony like he always does! I was just trying to keep it on track to my original intention.

So no, I didn't miss his point.

I will say 32GB's of a hard drive is extremely paltry and depending on your game buying choices you may already have a HDD. Many here have bought one. If you have the 8GB model, it's a given. I don't want a 3rd party HDD constantly on and another plug in the wall. Nintendo skimped badly here, like many other areas(e.g. brutal gamepad battery) and depending on your choice that's another €100 at least for something respectable. Want to use it for something else? Tough $h!t, Nintendo won't let you. Nice!

Now the PS4 could suffer the same fate if their games are proportionally bigger.

Hmmm. No I get it. But it was actually me who started this whole thing, by saying it was good there was a different option on the market, a cheaper option for people who wanted a cheaper console and not to pay monthly fee to play online. Sheikah then argued against it, by missing my point, that's the issue. YES, in different cases one may be better VALUE in the long run, which I have already said, but the wii u is a cheaper console, more so without the monthly fees. All factually correct. Forget all the caveats and different add ons and situations.... Sheikah added this to somehow defined Sony like he always does! I was just trying to keep it on track to my original intention.

So no, I didn't miss his point.

I explained it exactly the way Jamba said. Nothing more - I wasn't out to cause an argument.

I've said it before, but I'm finding your posts increasingly rude/presumptuous, particularly when calling me part of a 'Sony Defence Force'. It's just immature, really.

I explained it exactly the way Jamba said. Nothing more - I wasn't out to cause an argument.

I've said it before, but I'm finding your posts increasingly rude/presumptuous, particularly when calling me part of a 'Sony Defence Force'. It's just immature, really.

I knew you point. I got it. But it was in response to mine, so either it was a. missing my point entirely or b. unnecessarily diverging away from my point

I wanted to ignore you after your last comment but it's refreshed... if you think I'm being rude then you have lived a painfully sheltered life. In my last post I said, word for word

"Why do you have to try and argue everything in some Sony defence?"

and you responded quoting it

"For a start, you're being rather rude again."

REALLY?!?!?! REALLY!?!?!?

And it isn't immature, it is exactly how I read your posts. I was posting about the Wii U being a nice alternative, and you AS ALWAYS have to use it as a way to big up sony being better even in this regard. Sometimes you post normal things, I enjoy it, but far too often I find it painful just how much you twist things.

Sheikah stop winding him up.

The point Wii makes about having to buy an external hard drive for the Wii U is a good point though, in this discussion (not that I want to get involved mind you :p)

I don't read Sheikah's post as if he's trying to defend Sony; I think it's clear he's showing an alternative point of view. Nothing wrong with his posts.

As for a hard drive...yeah, it's annoying as I'll be buying one pretty soon for all the eShop games and dare I say it, Gamecube VC games?

Sheikah stop winding him up.

The point Wii makes about having to buy an external hard drive for the Wii U is a good point though, in this discussion (not that I want to get involved mind you :p)

I actually was just trying to get him to stop, because I really didn't want to keep the argument going.

Sadly not.

And there goes any intention I had to buy a Wii U :blank:

*leaves again*

*leaves again*

I'm sure I've seen of an unofficial adapter to plug a Cube pad into a Wiimote, though. There's also the Wii U Pro Controller, which is a gamepad nonetheless.

I'm sure I've seen of an unofficial adapter to plug a Cube pad into a Wiimote, though. There's also the Wii U Pro Controller, which is a gamepad nonetheless.

To be honest, there aren't many reasons for me to spend 250€-300€ on a Wii U (including a game that I don't want).

There's no way I'll additionally buy adapters, more controllers and also pay for the only game that I want as soon as it is released (SSB). :hmm:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Nintendo%20GameCube%20Controller%20Adapter%20for%20Wii%2FWii%20U

looks good, I may invest in a couple of these!

To be honest, there aren't many reasons for me to spend 250€-300€ on a Wii U (including a game that I don't want).

There's no way I'll additionally buy adapters, more controllers and also pay for the only game that I want as soon as it is released (SSB). :hmm:

yeah, that would be pretty dumb. Having said that, I'm quite fond of the gamepad controls now, I think I could happily use those instead of a gamecube controller.

Even if you were to buy just a £200 wii U, £40 for a game - thats £240 for one game, bad deal.

I'm at about £50 average cost per game at the moment, not counting games I've downloaded, I'm not really happy with even that!

I think my gamecube games averaged about £25! that's my aim with my Wii U collection!

Edited by Pestneb
Automerged Doublepost

Do you guys think Nintendo should continue to use all their peripherals or scale things back a bit?

I was playing Wii Fit U and after playing a bunch of the mini-games realised that I had used:

Wii U GamePad

Balance Board

2 Wii Remote Plus'

Nunchuk

It's not bad for me, because I've been gaming regularly with my Wii for years, so built it up over time, but as a new-comer to Wii U and Wii Fit U, I'd be a bit pissed off knowing that, to fully enjoy this game, I'd need to buy all these extra things.

Wii Remote Plus' aren't cheap, either!

Do you guys think Nintendo should continue to use all their peripherals or scale things back a bit?

I was playing Wii Fit U and after playing a bunch of the mini-games realised that I had used:

Wii U GamePad

Balance Board

2 Wii Remote Plus'

Nunchuk

It's not bad for me, because I've been gaming regularly with my Wii for years, so built it up over time, but as a new-comer to Wii U and Wii Fit U, I'd be a bit pissed off knowing that, to fully enjoy this game, I'd need to buy all these extra things.

No doubt scale back. I just want a console where every game can be played with the controller that comes with it.

Wii U GamePad

Balance Board

2 Wii Remote Plus'

Nunchuk

All I need and want is a single controller that doesn't lack any buttons (Gamecube) whilst not being the size of the GamePad or the OG Xbox.

All future Nintendo controllers being based on the GameCube one just makes sense. There's a difference between desirable innovation and the type you desperately come up with when you're forced into a corner.

*leaves again*

So you would give up getting a Wii U for Smash Bros just cause you can't use a GC controller?

Get the Pro COntroller it is mint!

I recently got a classic controller pro for £15.. don't know if it'll be compatible with ssb4, but it is with ssbb and that was enough for me (having boxed up my Wii)... it also works on the VC

I hope that this game will allow for the gamepad to be turned off if you use another controller, or else whenever you'd play multiplayer or be a tournament you would have to ensure that the gamepad is plugged in.

So you would give up getting a Wii U for Smash Bros just cause you can't use a GC controller?

Get the Pro COntroller it is mint!

40€ for a controller for only one game in addition to the at least 300€ for the console + the game? No way.

The GC controllers would be for my friends as none of them own any controller (be it GC or Classic/ Pro). And no, they also don't want to buy one just for a game they don't even own and they would probably only get to play once a month.

From (approx.) Friday, 14 February 2014 05:00

to Friday, 14 February 2014 08:00.

Affected services:

Wii U

- Online Play, Rankings etc.

Nintendo 3DS

- Online Play, Rankings etc.

*Some of the affected services' features are not available during temporary

maintenance. We thank you for your understanding and apologise for any

inconvenience.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/netinfo/en_GB/index.html