NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

Family Guy: Back To The Multiverse was planned for Wii/3DS, but was cancelled

Activision and developer Heavy Iron Studios were once working on Family Guy: Back To The Multiverse for both Wii and 3DS. These two versions would have been very different, as they would have featured an isometric perspective.

Unseen 64 shares the following information:

The Wii version of the game was being designed around the Wii remote and nunchuck, although did not make use of any of its unique features, such as the motion sensors or pointer. It was planned to be almost entirely identical to the 3DS version in terms of gameplay.

Whereas the shooting mechanics in the released HD title used a manually controlled reticule, the 3DS and Wii game used what one developer described to us as an “auto targeting system” instead, given the isometric camera view. This automatically locked on to potential targets within the immediate area to fire at with Stewie’s laser gun or Brian’s pistol.

According to one of the programmers on the Multiverse project we spoke to, the 3DS and Wii version were outlined to be otherwise “completely undifferentiated” in terms of story; even featuring the same dialogue and voice acting clips. It would have also included the two main playable characters of Brian and Stewie Griffin from the other version.

Ultimately, Activision canned the Wii and 3DS versions of Family Guy: Back To The Multiverse back in August 2011. Playable prototype builds were ready at the time.

http://nintendoeverything.com/family-guy-back-to-the-multiverse-was-planned-for-wii3ds-but-was-cancelled/

I love Family Guy but after seeing the reviews of other versions I think we're better off for not having been scarred by this plague.

I didn't even know that game existed. The only Family Guy game I know is the mobile one like Simpsons: Tapped Out.

I'd love ports of Tapped out and Family Guy the quest for stuff...only because organising the cities is a pain in the behind on a touch screen, its not accurate enough...but yeah paywalls, fremium etc not entirely good, i don't pay for anything on them, just acquire them via android/bluestacks

You know I was fairly dismissive of the Family Guy game but after looking at videos it's not that bad. I think I would have enjoyed it.

Just bought Sonic Lost World..any fond out the DLC is no longer available! Great

I'm going to plop this here as well because it's relevant.

OMG Amiibo Settings! Wii U System Update 5.3.0 U Tour

That was a painfully slow update. Thank God they're not daily occurrences. That seemed to me like a big update so I'm expecting more than just the amiibo support. It's early doors so we'll see what people sniff out.

More info:

Next couple of amiibo rounds confirmed for Japan – Shulk, Rosalina, Sonic, Mega Man, and more

Nintendo is releasing amiibo figures in waves. In Japan, there will be eight figures in round two and another three in the third set.

Fan favorites like Shulk and Rosalina will be available in the second set. And perhaps most importantly, the first third-party figures are releasing in the third – Sonic and Mega Man.

Most of the figures pictured above are due out in Japan on January 22. Shulk, Sonic, and Mega Man are the three expected in February.

Pricing is set at 1,200 yen each.

To summarize:

January 22

Lucario

Rosalina

Bowser

Toon Link

Sheik

Ike

Meta Knight

King Dedede

February

Shulk

Sonic

Mega Man

Just as a reminder, this is for Japan only. It’s slightly confusing because the amiibo rounds are different between the west and Japan. We’re getting Zelda, Luigi, and a few others in December, which is round two for us. But Japan is getting all of these figures in their first round at launch.

thumbnail-1.jpg

thumbnail-10.jpg

thumbnail-2.jpg

thumbnail-3.jpg

thumbnail-4.jpg

thumbnail-5.jpg

thumbnail-6.jpg

thumbnail-7.jpg

thumbnail-8.jpg

thumbnail-9.jpg

thumbnail.jpg

http://nintendoeverything.com/thirdfourth-round-of-amiibo-figures-confirmed-shulk-rosalina-sonic-mega-man-and-more/

Toon Link amiibo compatible with MK8; Toon Link, Zelda, and Sheik supported in Hyrule Warriors

Nintendo’s Japanese amiibo website confirms additional functionality for some figures.

First, Toon Link will be compatible in Mario Kart 8 – likely another Mii costume. Toon Link, Zelda, and Sheik are also supported in Hyrule Warriors.

You may recall that Nintendo announced amiibo functionality for all of the Smash Bros. figures in Hyrule Warriors during last week’s Nintendo Direct. However, it seems that Toon Link, Zelda, and Sheik will offer unique functionality rather than randomly selected materials, weapons and rupees.

http://nintendoeverything.com/toon-link-amiibo-compatible-with-mk8-toon-link-zelda-and-sheik-supported-in-hyrule-warriors/

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost

Nintendo see what the 3rd parties see. COD doesn't sell enough to make it worth Nintendo paying for the game. People who want COD have for the most part already jumped ship and will get it on one of the other two consoles. COD would not sell more consoles, it wouldn't make a profit for Nintendo, and it would presumably be an inferior version graphically.

I think Reggie was actually correct, with the Wii U they need unique experiences, because the Wii U can't faithfully reproduce what the other two consoles can do.

Your right but the worry is going forward they believe this so again the next console will be underpowered relying on unique experiences.

Ah great, Mega Man! Bowser, Toon Link and Ike look pretty good there. I hope to god the support blobs remain colourless this time. Would love the Rosalina one, but that shape that Luma is perched on looks so wrong :eek:

Your right but the worry is going forward they believe this so again the next console will be underpowered relying on unique experiences.

I think going forward they will probably go for something different again. Miyamoto said this just the other day in an interview.

While Miyamoto-san's focus is on making games, not necessarily concerning himself directly with unit sales or profits, he gave a clear indication of his views on what rival systems have to offer, and how Nintendo differs.

"What the other companies are doing makes business sense. But it’s boring. The same games appear on every system. At Nintendo we want an environment where game creators can collaborate and think of ideas for games that could have never happened before."

Granted, he is talking about games but I think this approach applies to their hardware now as well.

What Miyamoto says there is fine by me. I don't ever see Nintendo producing another PlayStation or Xbox. It seems owning two or more systems has become popular since last gen so I'd honestly rather Nintendo did their own thing.

The concern for me is that they actually have the courage of their convictions to explore and implement the unique features of their system and think them through fully beforehand. They really shouldn't have been scratching their heads so long over the gamepad (even the wiimote took ages to achieve its full potential outside of Wii Sports).

Speak for yourself, I love my Wii U.

Me too, probably more so since owning another system. I'm happy for Nintendo to do what they want as I know I can do eveything else with the PS4. I appreciate the Wii U games and enjoy them a lot more now.

I would also if I had to choose pick the Wii U over the PS4 for the sole reason that I am first and foremost a nintendo fanboy :)

Although, having saying that if Nintendo could just add party chat then I would love the Wii U even more.

The concern for me is that they actually have the courage of their convictions to explore and implement the unique features of their system and think them through fully beforehand. They really shouldn't have been scratching their heads so long over the gamepad (even the wiimote took ages to achieve its full potential outside of Wii Sports).

If they are going to go this route again, then I agree, they need to think about something that is easy to get across to those who aren't informed. One of the best things about the Wii was that you instantly got what they were trying to do , not just when you got a hold of the wiimote but just by looking at someone playing something like Wii Sports. The gamepad was and still is a harder thing to sell.

Nintendo Voice Chat recently had Perrin Kaplan on the show and she gave a great insight as to how Nintendo went about marketing the Wii and the vision they had for the console. It seemed that Nintendo had a clear plan of attack and knew exactly what they were doing with that console. The Wii U, not so much.

As long as they see that they are backed into this through the under powered nature.

I think things behind the scenes are a bit more complicated than they may seem initially. Power is an element, but 3rd parties are at the moment developing for 3 platforms (X1/PS4/PC) A fourth platform is a lot of extra work. The answer isn't necessarily one dimensional, but a range of issues I imagine. I'd have thought power, architecture, development tools, company relations, perceptions about Nintendo, pricing (both of the hardware AND software development), sales (again, software and hardware), investors and no doubt a whole plethora of things I wouldn't have a clue about.

For all we know, Nintendo may have fixed several of those things, as we're on the outside we may be misreading what has gone wrong. Nintendo may even have fixed the issues now and have things in the pipeline for the successor to the Wii U (Which I would imagine will release 2017/2018 time).

Anyway.. fingers crossed. Mind.. I say that but I am quite happy with my Wii U at this time - I have a backlog of games and that's all that matters to me! :D

Me too, probably more so since owning another system. I'm happy for Nintendo to do what they want as I know I can do eveything else with the PS4. I appreciate the Wii U games and enjoy them a lot more now.

I would also if I had to choose pick the Wii U over the PS4 for the sole reason that I am first and foremost a nintendo fanboy :)

Although, having saying that if Nintendo could just add party chat then I would love the Wii U even more.

Literally exactly how I feel. I've always loved Nintendo, I loved the Wii u and think it's produced some incredible games. Getting the ps4 made me love it even more, the games, even the UI and such after seeing what "next gen" was offering. But party chat (and better messaging) would really fix the issues most people have with the console. Also I guess a bigger focus online in general from Nintendo.

Same here. Since we got a PS4 it's just made me value the great library of games (that are more up my street - ie colourful, bright and fun!) and the sheer attention to detail and charm Nintendo puts into things. The PS4's UI is so incredibly corporate and soulless. I miss the cool music and the personal quality the Wii U has, even the touch screen layout etc is easier and more satisfying to me. Also prefer the browser and eshop by far to the offerings on the PS4. After all the hype I'm really rather disappointed by PlayStation Plus and the selection of content. I waited in excess of 20 minutes for it to register my user account and again just to load the store. There don't even seem to be many good demos at the moment.

Admittedly all we have right now is Destiny, which depresses the life out of me, and I am looking forward to getting Alien for Christmas. Good to know I'll be able to play Rocksteady's new Batman too. Ultimately though, it's Nintendo and their different, perhaps old-fashioned, perhaps 'too Japanese' ethos that keep me gaming!

I'm all for Nintendo going down their own route BUT:

1. At least make future consoles capable of running 3rd party engines. It's embarrassing that the Wii U can't run last gen engines without significant work needed to get them going at an 'okay' frame rate.

2. Don't release the same stuff again and again. Playing newer versions of Wii games but in HD doesn't appeal to anyone. Do what you did with the NES->SNES jump and N64->GC jump...show us that you can create bigger, more immersive worlds. Super Mario 64 and Mario Galaxy did more for me than SM3DW and NSMBU ever did.

3. Leverage the IP in the right way (it seems as though they are already doing this, at least with 3rd parties). There's a huge history of I.P and characters that fans adore and there are developers that would kill to make games with them.

4. The West. Don't ignore us..Our tastes are different to Japan..Realise that :)

1. At least make future consoles capable of running 3rd party engines. It's embarrassing that the Wii U can't run last gen engines without significant work needed to get them going at an 'okay' frame rate.

2. Don't release the same stuff again and again. Playing newer versions of Wii games but in HD doesn't appeal to anyone. Do what you did with the NES->SNES jump and N64->GC jump...show us that you can create bigger, more immersive worlds. Super Mario 64 and Mario Galaxy did more for me than SM3DW and NSMBU ever did.

3. Leverage the IP in the right way (it seems as though they are already doing this, at least with 3rd parties). There's a huge history of I.P and characters that fans adore and there are developers that would kill to make games with them.

4. The West. Don't ignore us..Our tastes are different to Japan..Realise that :)

Amen. Until Nintendo start to follow this they will continue to play second fiddle to the other consoles.

It's a shame that they're a shadow of their former selves.

Not the first time I've heard people say owning a PS4 made them love Nintendo even more. My love for the company has never been greater than with the Wii U and 3DS.

Not the first time I've heard people say owning a PS4 made them love Nintendo even more. My love for the company has never been greater than with the Wii U and 3DS.

It's just like when someone only owns a Wii U and then buys another console suddenly appreciates what is on offer on the other machines. This has happened to many members on here recently as well. It's swings and roundabouts.

Personally I think all 3 machines have something to offer a gamer. It's down to whether or not the console meets your own personal taste and needs. I have no beef with the output from any of the big 3, hence owning them all.

I think the single player output for the Wii U has been far better than the PS4 but on the flipside the online offerings on the PS4 have been far better than the Wii U. It's not to say either of these are a worse console than the other, more that they both target different audiences.

I will say though that the PS4 has probably done more for our little community in terms of meeting up, playing online with each other and generally getting to know one another than any other console in recent times. I know a few on here generally scoff at the fact so many of us constantly go on about voice chat but it really does bring everyone together in a more meaningful way. : peace:

I agree with a lot of this, I mean imagine if Wii U was architecturally similar to xbox/ps4. Forget the business side of things etc etc But if it did and had all the 3rd party support it'd be perfect!

BUT, the bit I do disagree with is the jumps between generations. It just doesn't work like that anymore, in the past they were HUGE jumps, now it's barely any different, but this isn't nintendo, this is the way it is. The next gen machines, could ANY of the games not work on the last gen really? Games aren't changing, prettier, maybe slightly bigger worlds or whatever, but they're slightly souped up versions of what we had last gen. I think we've hit the ultimate peak with the current way of playing games.

I agree with this 100%.

I agree with a lot of this, I mean imagine if Wii U was architecturally similar to xbox/ps4. Forget the business side of things etc etc But if it did and had all the 3rd party support it'd be perfect!

BUT, the bit I do disagree with is the jumps between generations. It just doesn't work like that anymore, in the past they were HUGE jumps, now it's barely any different, but this isn't nintendo, this is the way it is. The next gen machines, could ANY of the games not work on the last gen really? Games aren't changing, prettier, maybe slightly bigger worlds or whatever, but they're slightly souped up versions of what we had last gen. I think we've hit the ultimate peak with the current way of playing games.

I would argue that with Pikmin 3, NSM3DW, NSMBU, Mario Kart, Smash, etc... that a lot of this is due to Nintendo's reliance on bread and butter franchises rather than innovating as much as they used to; on the scale that they used to (ie. not just indie/small scale games).

Snes = Nes with souped up versions of the previous gen.

GC = N64 with souped up versions of the previous gen.

Wii U = Wii with souped up versions of the previous gen.

It's a sweeping statement... I think now gaming has matured a bit and a lot of devs are going out of business due to costs, diversity will suffer. Successful formulas have been found, so finding new ways of repackaging that is getting harder. But the main visual aspect has always "improved".

Nes = sprites.

Snes = improved sprites

N64 - polygons

GC= improved polygons

Wii.....

ok so Nintendo broke it off a fair bit at the wii and just improved polygons a bit more, but I suppose possibly with the wii mote they explored reflecting the players movements within the virtual environment :D

Looking at the pattern though, with the other two consoles it went to 720p for the Wii's generation, and now with the Wii U's generation 1080p. Next 4k/8k is a possibility presumably. But it's not all about graphics. there have been innovations in control schemes (mostly pushed by Nintendo) as well as a more social focus for adults who can't go round their mates after school (Sony and Microsoft with online infrastructure).

I'm sure there is a lot more but I think a lot of the awe of gaming is gone now because it has matured, we've seen it all before. The improved graphics tend towards being closer to realism, so the shock is much reduced now, in fact I expect more than they deliver most of the time.

The jump from 360-> XBO might be smaller than the jump of the generations before it, but Nintendo's previous console was the Wii, and the generation jump from GC->HD consoles was absolutely huge imo. At the moment I can't help but feel the PS2 gen -> HD gen was a bigger jump than the Wii -> Wii U jump, despite the consoles being quite similar. I was blown away by the online of Halo 3 and the world of Bioshock and appreciated that they couldn't be done on previous hardware. NSMBU, SM3DW, Donkey Kong etc could have been SD Wii games imo.

I'm not saying those games aren't great..I bloody love SM3DW but it doesn't exactly inspire you to buy the console when you look at it, does it? Yes it looks great graphically but Nintendo fans are the ones who, for the past decade, have constantly claimed graphics aren't everything.