NEurope
Grazza

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

The gamepad screen displays shit all when using a TV.

I do have to bring up is how the Wii U GamePad is used. If you are playing on the television, the touchscreen will have nothing displayed on it and it stays blank the entire time. There are no options to quickly select levels or see simple information displayed. If you are going for off-TV play, it is the same deal as nothing will be displayed on the television. It is not the worst thing ever, but it made me want to use the GamePad less and that can't be what Nintendo and Retro Studios wanted

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/preview/36408

I'm actually pleased by that info. Obviously I'd prefer the GamePad to be used in a creative way, but if it isn't then yeah, it should just be blank/off.

It's annoying when playing a game with the Pro Controller/Wii Remote and having the GamePad on (especially if it's just mirroring the TV) for no reason other than to drain the battery. :nono:

BTW, that's not new info. We've known that the Gamepad gets turned off when not used in this game ever since E3 2013.

And yes it's a shame that they're not using it in any creative way with this game :(

BTW, that's not new info. We've known that the Gamepad gets turned off when not used in this game ever since E3 2013.
Well it's new info to me, that or I just forgot (quite possible :heh:).

And yes it's a shame that they're not using it in any creative way with this game :(
It really is. And I'm very surprised that Retro/Nintendo couldn't come up with anything. :hmm:

I reckon it would've been a great way to do the bonus stages. DK & Co. could've blasted out of a barrel towards the TV screen and then appeared in the GamePad for a mini-game, while the level was still running on TV (with the enemies walking around looking confused :hehe:). Or better yet, DK could jump to the GamePad and leave his buddy on the TV and the bonus game would require you to flick between the two in some way.

Another idea (if Cranky wasn't playable) would be to have Cranky Kong on the GamePad at all times, hurling abuse at DK, laughing when he dies etc... :grin:

And providing tips/items if you fail a level too many times.

Or it could've just been used as a way to show your collections/stats. Every time you picked up a banana it could have swooshed on to the GamePad screen, causing it to fill up with nanas that eventually move on to the TV, obscuring your view until you tap on the touch screen to eat some and lower the pile. :D

It really is. And I'm very surprised that Retro/Nintendo couldn't come up with anything. :hmm:

I reckon it would've been a great way to do the bonus stages. DK & Co. could've blasted out of a barrel towards the TV screen and then appeared in the GamePad for a mini-game, while the level was still running on TV (with the enemies walking around looking confused :hehe:). Or better yet, DK could jump to the GamePad and leave his buddy on the TV and the bonus game would require you to flick between the two in some way.

Another idea (if Cranky wasn't playable) would be to have Cranky Kong on the GamePad at all times, hurling abuse at DK, laughing when he dies etc... :grin:

Or it could've just been used as a way to show your collections/stats. Every time you picked up a banana it could have swooshed on to the GamePad screen, causing it to fill up with nanas that eventually move on to the TV, obscuring your view until you tap on the touch screen to eat some and lower the pile. :D

I've read so many things like this since the Wii U launched. It seems people on the internet have more ideas how to use the Gamepad than Nintendo do! It's nuts.

I've read so many things like this since the Wii U launched. It seems people on the internet have more ideas how to use the Gamepad than Nintendo do! It's nuts.
I'm sure Nintendo have come up with loads of great ideas, but I still think off-TV play is the primary reason why they don't embrace using the GamePad in unique ways. :hmm:

Well it's new info to me, that or I just forgot (quite possible :heh:).

I love the idea of the level going on in the background whilst you play the Bonus levels on the gamepad.

Say if Rambi gets left behind as DK enters the Bonus stage, he could have a few animations when he's left alone, like when characters fall asleep, or start swatting at flies or something... things that you wouldn't get to see friendlies/enemies doing otherwise.

This is the problem with the ideology of the WiiU. If Nintendo DO use the GamePad, core gamers call it gimmicky and not needed. If they don't use it, it breeds concern from other sections of gamers. They are damned if they do and damned if they don't with this console. I'm not sure it will ever go away.

I haven't missed the GamePad functionality at all - primarily enjoying the setup that the Pro controller allows (uber comfort). Must say though that the GamePad makes a stunning jukebox for this game though. ;)

Edited by tapedeck

Thing is, they've developed the thing they might as well bloody use it! Whether gimmicky or not.

Use it for whatever their intention for it was, they told us we needed this thing.

The worst thing they can do is do nothing. It doesn't sell any confidence in their console whatsoever.

Thing is, they've developed the thing they might as well bloody use it! Whether gimmicky or not.

Use it for whatever their intention for it was, they told us we needed this thing.

The worst thing they can do is do nothing. It doesn't sell any confidence in their console whatsoever.

I think Off-TV play was a primary intention. Certainly if you read Sherry Turkle's book 'Alone Together: why we expect more from technology and less from each other' (which Iwata cited as an influence on the WiiU tablet decision), the way you can game beside family on the couch while they watch the main TV, there's your functionality.

Sadly, it seems that the GamePad is a jack of all trades, master of none.

Wow. Just wow.

I bet Miyamoto's new IP uses every functionality of the WiiU Gamepad in order to balance things out, and that'll be the end of that then I guess :laughing:

Love that advertisement. Old school.

Here's a GREAT 43 minute interview with David Wise. Really interesting. @RedShell and @ReZourceman might like the tech stuff about the SNES sounds on the original DKC trilogy. I was geeking out to it all.

This guy is still one of my biggest influences. I really should post some of my DKC music one day!

Although I did think I was getting good, until I heard DKC:TF. :wink:

Here's a GREAT 43 minute interview with David Wise. Really interesting. @RedShell and @ReZourceman might like the tech stuff about the SNES sounds on the original DKC trilogy. I was geeking out to it all.
Yeah, I listened to it yesterday, great stuff. icon14.gif

Cheers for the heads up though. :)

I really should post some of my DKC music one day!
You really should!

Obviously I know his name and his much loved association with the DKC series, but I apologise for not knowing much else of his work... thus I just googled him...

He's responsible for the Diddy Kong Racing (and Battletoads) soundtrack!!!!! GOD!! :bowdown:

Edited by Retro_Link

Yeah, I listened to it yesterday, great stuff. icon14.gif

Cheers for the heads up though. :)

You really should!

Not sure if I can directly link Soundcloud but here are two tracks I found that I wrote in a DKC style. I did a few so will have to find them. On an old HDD no doubt.

https://soundcloud.com/mark-a-lee2/snowturn

https://soundcloud.com/mark-a-lee2/dkc-pirate-re-visited

@ReZourceman might like these too as DKC2 was the inspiration (especially the second piece).

He's responsible for the Diddy Kong Racing (and Battletoads) soundtrack!!!!! GOD!! :bowdown:
Yep. :) The Diddy Kong Racing soundtrack is one of my all time faves and definitely my favorite of Wise's work.

You just can't help but smile and feel good when listening to this:

So uplifting! :bouncy::yay::hug::love:

Not sure if I can directly link Soundcloud but here are two tracks I found that I wrote in a DKC style. I did a few so will have to find them. On an old HDD no doubt.

https://soundcloud.com/mark-a-lee2/snowturn

https://soundcloud.com/mark-a-lee2/dkc-pirate-re-visited

@ReZourceman might like these too as DKC2 was the inspiration (especially the second piece).

Awesome! :bowdown:

What program did you use?

By the way, there was a DKC soundfont in the works. Not sure if it's still going or not though. :hmm:

The guy making it uploaded this example:

I've messed about with F-Zero and Super Mario Kart soundfonts before, really good fun. :D

Great stuff @tapedeck! There's a really nice moody feel to those tracks : peace:

Oh and good call on the DKR OST @RedShell. One of my faves too! (It's like Kirby music, it's impossible to hear it and not feel cheery! :) )

It's a shame that almost all of the projects that David Wise worked on after SFA got cancelled. Couldn't imagine how frustrating it must've been for him :( (it's a wonder how he stayed there so long!)

Speaking of which, that's another one that doesn't get its dues!

Whatever your issue with the game itself, you can't deny that SFA had a fantastic soundtrack!

Edited by Dcubed

Thanks for the comments guys. I use GarageBand and a few other apps on the iPad to create music. It's a ridiculously powerful music creation platform now that Yamaha/Korg etc. are all bringing out premium apps.

Love the Diddy Kong Racing soundtrack - so varied! Star Fox Adventures doesn't really stick in my mind...but that could have been a good thing in such an open world game. Could be my total adoration for StarWing and StarFox64's soundtrack though...

I had no issue with Starfox, I personally thought it was a nice new direction. And that fuckin' music <3

Two reviews:

35/40 [9/8/9/9]

9.25/10

:yay::yay::yay:

Great scores, The best reason to buy a WIIU at the moment!