NEurope
Retro_Link

Killer Instinct

Free to play can work really well if done right. Having said that the developer and how the game looked so early does not inspire confidence. This looks rushed out. Visually it doesnt look next gen and they had next to nothing to show. Only one stage and 3 character models. Reminds me of Ridge Racer Vita.

Also some publishers have a terrible record for free to play. See EA with two free to play Battlefield games and their iOS junk.

Apparently the game looks much better live and hardcore fighting game fans are enjoying the mechanics. At the time though, they didn't know about the 'nickel and dime' scheme.....

Apparently the game looks much better live and hardcore fighting game fans are enjoying the mechanics. At the time though, they didn't know about the 'nickel and dime' scheme.....

Yeah sorry i didnt read that it comes with just one character...

Was Killer Instinct actually any good? My only memory of the game really was the having a friend who used to hammer everyone around and I just didn't enjoy it as a result.

i can't believe were getting free 2 play stuff like this on a console! its bad enough on any platform even mobiles! atleast on mobiles you can get around paywalls with cracks and not have to pay thousands

basically i'm thinking it will be like EA fair like the nice but ruined simpson's tapped out - to have all the premium characters and buildings (and premium characters and buildings often are cult favourites like professor frink etc) you'd need around 1700 donuts (in game currency) and 900 donuts is £35....

what next? the next final fantasy being free 2 play? only item and weapons shops cost real money? characters are extra?

Cod like this? Fifa? etc etc

its a slippery slope i'd rather not see come to consoles, at least dead space 3 wasn't anything worth while to buy extra

but for now i suppose i'll give them the benefit of the doubt and wait for pricing scales

Of course this model can work - and it doesn't have to be horrific either!

Everyone can download the game for free and play as one character. I'm pretty sure that character will change over time. For example, it might be Jago for a week, then Sabrewulf for a week and simply cycle through the roster. League of Legends does this. Each week there are a different selection of free characters to play as, when you find the characters you like you pay for them and add them to your roster.

I'm also sure that for people who like the game the option will be available to buy it all for say $20. Each character will likely seem like a steep option with a price tag of around $2.50 each, making it less cost effective to buy them all separately and character packs being maybe $5 for three.

Everytime MS does something new it doesn't mean they have to do it badly. The most played game on the PC is done in the way I have laid out above and it works great.

Sure, if the only playable character is always Jago, characters are only available separately at a stupidly high price and fans can't opt to buy the full game at a reduced rate it will be an epic fail - but let's not just assume it's going to work that way.

They should rotate the one playable character every week or two.

Pricing revealed

“Killer Instinct” for Xbox One will be free to download with one free playable character available. Additional characters will be available for purchase starting at $4.99 / £3.99 / €4.99 each.

Players can also purchase special discounted character packages:

Combo Breaker Pack –– Save 50 percent instantly by purchasing the Combo Breaker pack,

Combo Breaker Pack Includes

- The first 8 characters (6 at launch, plus 2 characters before their official post-launch release) for $19.99 / £16.99 / €19.99.

Ultra Edition – The Ultra Edition delivers the best value for “Killer Instinct” fans. Available for $39.99 / £34.99 / €39.99,

The Ultra Edition includes:

- The first 8 characters (6 at launch, plus 2 characters before their official post-launch release)

- Character accessory packs

- Character costumes

- The original “Killer Instinct” arcade game

So:

- Character accessory packs

- Character costumes

- The original “Killer Instinct” arcade game

Is £18. More than all of the characters.

capture0spi0.png

Just been reading Gaf and people have been getting this through their email. I had a quick check and i've also received it.

capture0spi0.png

Just been reading Gaf and people have been getting this through their email. I had a quick check and i've also received it.

So if you have all the characters left what does that leave to unlock and purchase? Just wondering how much in real terms they are giving away also is it permanent or just a trail?!

So if you have all the characters left what does that leave to unlock and purchase? Just wondering how much in real terms they are giving away also is it permanent or just a trail?!

There are still two additional characters, costumes, accessories and the original Killer Instinct.

This game really surprised me at Eurogamer. I expected it to play like garbage, given Double Helix's track record, but no; I thought it was actually very solid!

It's fun! Uncomplicated fun :)

Meh, I didn't like it all. It feels just as clunky as it did back on the SNES which was fine for then but poor for now. The graphics are very pretty but fuck knows what's going on with some of the body proportions. It's like they've tried to go for stylised and realistic at the same time and botched it.

I'll stick to BlazBlue thanks.