NEurope
Retro_Link

Killer Instinct

COMBO BREAKER

E3 2013: Killer Instinct Announced for Xbox One

Microsoft has announced a sequel to Killer Instinct for the Xbox One. A trailer shown during the company's E3 press conference featuring classic fighters Jago and Sabrewulf going at it while the iconic announcer shouted "Ultimate Combo."

The game is being developed by Double Helix, the studio behind Silent Hill: Homecoming.

Edited by Retro_Link

It says a lot about a game developer when their best game is Silent Hill: Homecoming. :p

I won't play this even if it turns out great, though, so whatever.

Oh wow. It is not being done by Rare? God, even Microsoft has written off Rare.

To many people, Rare was obviously dead an incredibly long time ago, but this news should be the final nail for even the most optimistic and hopeful nostalgists.

Why aren't RARE doing this? There's no soul in this.

There would be no soul in it, even if current day Rare was working on it anyway.

At least with this announced there's a chance that we might get the arcade versions of KI 1 & 2 on 360. That way we'll at least get something good out of this...

Rare is dead. Long live Kinect Sports. *throws up*

Edited by Ville

Just wow Microsoft

"Killer Instinct is a day-one digital-only release on Xbox One, and features -- get this -- one character. Jago is free to play on launch day. Everyone else -- unspecified returning characters as well as original fighters -- will cost money. Price is to-be-determined"
Edited by Dante

There has be to be a mistake with that one. So, one character and you have to pay for the rest? Is the initial game free then? What about stages? Do you get one stage and have to buy the rest?

I guess it kind of makes sense. It's like a demo that is the full game...but not.

You can't knock Microsoft for not trying something new.

Not a joke, you only get to play as Jago for free and the other characters are for a fee. Microsoft thinks that people that actually still care about KI will buy it.

As if I needed any further proof that this will be a steaming pile of horse manure that desecrates over the series' legacy...

Must be F2P, surely... surely.... Not that it really matters since yknow... Xbox One. But still.

I'm not sure why there's the rage over this being a F2P game where you pay for extra characters and equipment? It works well on PC, in fact the most played game on the PC - League of Legends - works that way. It's just a new distribution model.

Other games like Black Light Retribution and Ghost Recon Online have done similar things.

You can download the game for free, have a go with Jago, and if you like it buy more characters. I don't see what is unfair about that?

I'm not sure why there's the rage over this being a F2P game where you pay for extra characters and equipment? It works well on PC, in fact the most played game on the PC - League of Legends - works that way. It's just a new distribution model.

Other games like Black Light Retribution and Ghost Recon Online have done similar things.

You can download the game for free, have a go with Jago, and if you like it buy more characters. I don't see what is unfair about that?

It's because it'll end up costing more than it would if it was a XBLA title with all the characters straight out

Yeah, I agree with Zechs *shudder*. Microsoft should be commended for trying this out.

Not sure why you'd make an assumption that it would cost more. It might actually work out a hell of a lot cheaper if you pick only the characters you like.

With these models, you can also buy the guns, characters and customisations that you actually want, BUT you can get almost everything for free if you play for long enough although maybe this game will have that too. Doubt it.

That and this should really be fan-service, not a way to trap and milk customers. Those fans would have wanted every character and will probably be very reluctant to this model as they are already practically buying this box just for this game when there are cheaper and subjectively, better options elsewhere.

I think it's a fucking horrific idea and I don't like the path this is going down. I love how in a game like Smash Bros you can unlock extra fighters, extra stages and so on. It gives the single player depth. Not EVERYTHING should be online. Yes, it's awesome playing with your friends, but half the fun is finding new things and exploring everything within a game.

How do you know the characters are going to be any good if you don't know much about them before you buy them? Your friend comes around and wants to play KI, they want to use a specific character and can't, because you haven't bought it. Does this apply to stages?

I just don't like this model, not for fighters. You should pay once, have everything there for you and be given a spectacular single player (or even unlock things with a friend) and be able to get extra characters that way. It's sad that somehow this mindset is becoming old school. Another reason why I'm disliking where we're going with gaming.

@Fierce_LiNk I do agree overall with your sentiment, but I don't think there is that big a shift in gaming, this one title is testing the waters of F2P on consoles. Yeah it was nice when you just played for unlockables and that is disappearing, but unfortunately with game trading killing the post-launch sales on games that now have way waaaay bigger production costs and overheads, it's either this or more companies going bust.

I can't see anywhere officially saying the game is free to download. But if it is, I agree it's not a big deal. The F2P market is a big one, and you could probably pay just a few dollars for a couple of the characters you like the look of.

Edited by Shorty

Day One DLC - Killer Instinct: Round One, with the exclusive Shadow Jago character. :blank:

I just don't like this model, not for fighters.

I don't like it for any game. Just look at Age of Empires Online (also by MS): if you want to get everything in the game, you'll end up paying more than if you bought a full-priced title. I've enjoyed every AoE thus far, but not that one. Totally ruins the game.

Free to play can work really well if done right. Having said that the developer and how the game looked so early does not inspire confidence. This looks rushed out. Visually it doesnt look next gen and they had next to nothing to show. Only one stage and 3 character models. Reminds me of Ridge Racer Vita.

Also some publishers have a terrible record for free to play. See EA with two free to play Battlefield games and their iOS junk.