N-Europe

Where on earth are you? (Awesome Thrip)

bob

This is pretty cool, you get a random location off Google Maps, and you have to guess where you are.

My first attempt

My second, better attempt. Challenge me!

It's kind of like being in Quantum Leap, only instead of helping some girl achieve her Prom dream, you just have to work out where you are by shuffling slowly down the road looking at things.

EDIT: Mwahahaha - can anyone beat Tns3iFl.jpg

?! Admittedly, i got lucky, instantly recognising it as Scotland and then finding a road sign, but still, only 5km away.

EDIT2: Saw a random sign that said "Something - something: Tip Of Africa" ended up with this:

o8TV9HH.jpg

Edited by 130131301364

@bob but still

1st round, Worked out I was somewhere in Russia, marked Moscow and was 8000KM away :heh:

2nd Round, figued was somewhere in the US, random location on Kansas state, was actually in North Dakota, 1100KM away

3rd Round, got lucky there was a bus that said "Ipswich" on it :heh: Marked Ipswich and was 19KM off :D

4th Round, a road sign gave it away again :D was 7KM off my target in Wales

5th Round some grifitti on a wall gave away I was in South Africa... couldn't narrow it down further, took a guess at Port Elizabeth and was 990KM off

Total score after 5 rounds 17643

I actually wasn't too bad at this :)

I found a sign in round one which said Ontario so that made it easy, the rest I just went based on the language I saw in road signs or on buildings. I'm proud of Round 4 (D on the map) though as I was on a highway with nothing for miles but there were oil derricks so I guessed Texas and picked the longest road I could see :p

[edit] I guess the link doesn't show your results after a while :( I was fairly close with all of them, a few hundred km away at most.

Edited by The Peeps

GeoGuessr-Kautokeino.png

22,706 points

I kept moving until I found road signs, then I tried tracking down those locations on Google Maps. In Ireland I could only find the approximate location, in southern Brazil I had the wrong bridge, and the picture from Belize was on a beach with no signs, no roads and thus no chance of moving anywhere, so I made a wild guess. :p

Edited by Dannyboy-the-Dane
Automerged Doublepost

Are you people just looking for road signs and then just searching the maps for it?

I haven't googled anything. It's usually fairly easy to guess the country/region. Then you'll get around 2000+ points for being fairly close.

Of course when you see a sign for Macclesfield it makes it much easier.

Yeah using another tab with Google Maps in it is cheating.

Any googling is cheating i think. Imagine you are just transported to a place with no internet at all and just a map with a pin in it.

Still....0.001km is pretty damn impressive! Don't think that is beatable...

It kept dropping me in Spanish/Portuguese speaking countries, usually in the middle of nowhere. I usually couldn't figuer out which country it was as no one seems to advertise internet links or anything. How do you figure out the country?

Then one of the maps was somewhere in Japan, at least that is way more easy to recognise than some dirt road in the middle of nowhere. =P

One time i got dropped off next to a lake near a coniferous forest, and i couldn't move. There were no roads, it was just a single spot in the middle of nowhere, with a frisbee on the floor. I'm not even joking.

Seeing as i couldn't move, and the frisbee didn't have anything written on it, i went with Canada - but it turned out to be Ukraine.

It's really just luck.

One time i got dropped off next to a lake near a coniferous forest, and i couldn't move. There were no roads, it was just a single spot in the middle of nowhere, with a frisbee on the floor. I'm not even joking.

Seeing as i couldn't move, and the frisbee didn't have anything written on it, i went with Canada - but it turned out to be Ukraine.

It's really just luck.

GODAMMIT BOB I WAS TRYING TO MODERATE HERE! Move along. Nothing to see here.

I didn't google anything for mine, just looked at signs and surroundings and made a guess :p bunch of cheats!

Someone should split this out of the awesome stuff thread too I think.

Totes done. My first ever thrip woo.

It kept dropping me in Spanish/Portuguese speaking countries, usually in the middle of nowhere. I usually couldn't figuer out which country it was as no one seems to advertise internet links or anything. How do you figure out the country?

I was circling a roundabout in a place like this, with no clues. And then I noticed a van with a little sticker of the Brazil flag on it.

There are usually some clues in built up areas. Roads in the middle of nowhere are hard, but you can try and gauge from the scenery and plantlife. It should at least narrow down the continent.

Yeah i wondered at first if moving was allowed, but then i thought if you were suddenly transported to a new place, you wouldn't exactly just stand still and crane your neck trying to work out where you are. I suppose that is 'hard mode' though.

EDIT: Danny's is pretty impressive! The Mexico one ruined your score though!