N-Europe

Panopticon (aka Freedom Wars)

Retro_Link

Sony begins 'Panopticon' countdown

Sony Computer Entertainment Japan has launched a new teaser site for Panopticon.

We have no idea what it is, but the name has been trademarked in Europe since the beginning of this year, so we expect it'll be heading over here too - whatever it is.

The teaser site is hosted on a Ustream broadcast and is also counting upward to 1,000,000 years, although it's also due to expire next week. Makes you wonder why we haven't seen the countdown before.

What could this game be? We'll find out soon it seems.

Countdown/up: http://www.jp.playstation.com/scej/title/panopticon/

Any thoughts? :p

The Panopticon is a type of institutional building designed by English philosopher and social theorist Jeremy Bentham in the late 18th century. The concept of the design is to allow a watchman to observe (-opticon) all (pan-) inmates of an institution without them being able to tell whether or not they are being watched.

Apparently the closest thing to this vision is CCTV (which, oddly, is the theme of the next inFamous and Watch Dogs).

If I'm not mistaken they were all decommissioned very shortly after being introduced (at least in the UK) because they so heavily violated prisoners' rights. It removed their every privacy, except for the privacy of their thoughts. No consolation because the prison would've turned them insane before long anyway.

It may be too late but new IPs is what Sony need to do if it's going to get the Vita away from the jagged cliffs of failure it so successfully gashed it upon.

For all the amazing new IPs they release on their home consoles, there's a distinct lack on their handhelds. Also, give me Patapon.

Screenshot.

FreedomWars-3.jpg

Edited by Daft

• 1 year later...

I'm probably the only one who cares on here but I'm well happy with this news. I prefer my retail goods over digital and was quite annoyed by the news that this would just be a digital game over here.

As many of you are aware, earlier this month we announced that Japan Studio’s forthcoming action RPG Freedom Wars would be a digital-only release when it arrives here in the SCEE region later this year. Since then you’ve let us know here on PlayStation Blog, on forums and on social media that you really wanted to see a full title card release for the game. And we’ve been listening. Duly, today I’m happy to confirm that Freedom Wars will now be made available as a full physical edition as well as a digital release, from day one.

Once again a great example of Sony listening to fan feedback and acting accordingly. Well played. :bowdown:

Edited by Hero-of-Time