NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dcubed

Various Wii online services being shut down 28/6 (games/Shop Channel not affected)

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/support/information/2013/0412.html

Services that will end include:

Weather channel

Digicam Print channel

News channel

Everyone Votes channel

Nintendo channel

Mii Contest channel

Wii Connect 24

A very sad day :( I'll miss the Mii Contest Channel and the Everybody Votes channel. Many countless memories spent using those with my friends.

Hope somebody at least saved the channel music in good quality!

Aaah Wii Connect 24! Does that mean you won't be able to send messages to each other anymore? Or receive content while your Wii is in sleep mode (like letters from friends in Animal Crossing)?

To be fair, people only really used those when they came because there was no new software.

Sounds familiar :p

Aaah Wii Connect 24! Does that mean you won't be able to send messages to each other anymore? Or receive content while your Wii is in sleep mode (like letters from friends in Animal Crossing)?

Yes, that's exactly what that means.

Better make sure that you unlock all the friend medals in Metroid Prime 3 before WC24 gets shut down! (or you could always use a cheat program I guess...)

Well I guess they can't keep it online forever, but wow isn't this kind of early?

I mean the DS games are way older, and things like Wild World or Mario Kart DS still work online.

Edited by M_rock

Well I guess they can't keep it online forever, but wow isn't this kind of early?

I mean the DS games are way older, and things like Wild World or Mario Kart DS still work online.

Probably because these services were offered for free and are not supported by Wii U or Wii Mini. The games themselves and the Wii Shop Channel are staying online.

It's sad that it's happening, but I can't really fault them for it. Nintendo are the only console manufacturer who have actually kept all of their legacy online games still active (the original Xbox Live and PS2 online services were shut down years ago and most 1st Party PSP games have gone offline now).

Hopefully the inevitable addition of DS games to the Virtual Console service (be it this generation or the next) will ensure that those games remain online, but I'm sure that they won't last forever either :(

It's a never-ending nightmare for game archival and it only gets worse as time goes on as more and more games tie an online connection into the game itself (be it through DLC, multiplayer or persistent online connectivity - like ZombiU or Demon's Souls). This is an industry that by and large cares nothing for the archival of its past (in fact, many publishers see it as an obstacle to profitablility with their newer products - I'm looking at you EA! :mad: )

This is an interesting (and depressing) topic that is best fit for another thread though. Thank God for local multiplayer at least!

Edited by Dcubed

This makes me sad :( and the news channel was a really cool app, looked so swanky. Ill miss Mii contest channel the most though! I still use it every now and then to fill up with celebrity Miis and the Wii Sports Resort integration was so intense!

And shit, does the lack of Wii connect 24 mean none of us will experience the Wii's pulsating blue light again? :(

As long as Boom Street stays online I guess I can live :/

I wonder if we'll be able to delete the News and Weather Channels off the system then..? It always annoyed me a little that you couldn't move them onto the SD Card Menu instead of having them on the Wii Menu :heh:

I'm never going to be able to check the weather ever again!

tumblr_m6xt75gV5u1rox0vu.gif

Lyk dis if u cri evrytim

The channels idea was great, but then Nintendo seemed to stop halfway through and didn't bother with it. I wish we could've seen more innovation here. Hopefully with the WiiU.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

>Nintendo seemed to stop halfway through and didn't bother with it.

>Hopefully with the WiiU.

That's Nintendo's signature move. I doubt we'll see any thing else now.

well I understand that they can't support these services forever, but it seems really early to drop support for them already. I thought they would have at least a couple more years left in them.

Funny enough I've been playing my Wii recently, pretty much on a daily basis, and i've been using these channels a lot the past few weeks.

Edited by Helmsly

Haven't used any of these since I got to China - a shame, because in the UK I used them every day.

I just realised the closure of the Weather channel will actually effect some games:

Certain games like Madden NFL 07, Nights: Journey of Dreams, and Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games can use the Forecast Channel to simulate weather conditions depending on the player's region.

I just realised the closure of the Weather channel will actually effect some games:

Wii Sports Resort also allowed for the automatic importing of Mii Contest Channel Miis as random opponents.

The loss of Wii Connect 24 will also take away the data sharing features from Metroid Prime 3, Smash Bros Brawl, Wii Music and Wario Ware DIY Showcase :(

I am going to miss the weather channel. I've defeated so much stress-induced insomnia by leaving that on.

I really wish they had allowed the WiiU to stay on standby the same way the Wii did, imagine how better it would be for games getting title updates whilst you sleep or downloading demos in sleep mode like the 3DS? Why Nintendo...why do you abandon some of your best ideas?

I really wish they had allowed the WiiU to stay on standby the same way the Wii did, imagine how better it would be for games getting title updates whilst you sleep or downloading demos in sleep mode like the 3DS? Why Nintendo...why do you abandon some of your best ideas?

The Wii U does actually support Spotpass, so stuff can download in the background automatically as long as the console is turned on at least.

Problem is that it doesn't have a sleep mode...

I think it's a bit early to shut some of these services down personally but when you consider that some of them have been running for years I guess Nintendo just wants to focus on the Wii U and 3DS.

After June there isn't any way of removing some of the channels either which I think Nintendo should address but they won't because they are focused on other things. Sad really.

When Mario Kart and other Wii online games stop running then that will be a sad day. Everything is temporary.

Wii Connect 24 games list-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_games_using_WiiConnect24

Edited by sumo73
Added list

In the remaining two months or so left, I hope I can use the WiiConnect24 service a bit more before it closes. I've bought a few games recently just so that I just it.

Just answered the final ever Everybody Votes questions :sad:. Apparently over the years I've answered 812 questions with a 73.2% accuracy rate. Now how will I find out the answer to important questions like whether people would prefer to be stuck in an elevator or on ski lift?

Sign in to follow this