NEurope
gaggle64

LucasArts shut down, Star Wars 1313 cancelled

Disney have shuttered LucasArts after weeks of speculation, cancelling all projects including 1313 in a move towards a "licensing model". It seems likely the LucasArts brand will become no more than a box stamp.

This from Disney:

After evaluating our position in the games market, we've decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company's risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games. As a result of this change, we've had layoffs across the organization. We are incredibly appreciative and proud of the talented teams who have been developing our new titles.

This makes me sad - one of my favourite games on the SNES was the excellent Super Star Wars action/platformer, not even going into having published the likes of Sam & Max Hit The Road, The Secret of Monkey Island, and Star Wars: Tie Fighter.

An undeserved fate for the one of the great gaming brands.

RIP LucasArts.

2SZdzpU.jpg

I can't believe Grim Fandango was released fifteen years ago.

Too bad that was their last really great game.

Grim Fandango is an unplayable mess. Which is extremely annoying as I know that I would absolutely love the game if it had much better controls. That game really needed a remake.

Also, Republic Commando was great and the first Force Unleashed was good.

Other than that...they really haven't done much good. The good "recent" (stretching that a bit) games published by Lucasarts have been made by other people (LEGO games, Empire at War, Tales of Monkey Island).

These are what has been developed in-house at LucasArts in the past few years:

- Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II (2010)

- Lucidity (2009)

- Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (2008)

- Star Wars: Republic Commando (2005)

How many developers actually worked at LucasArts? I didn't actually realise how little they had actually done themselves.

This may actually be a good thing/b], but it really depends on how Disney deal with it. The "licencing" agreement sounds like they could really branch out some more, with different developers, publishers and approaches. We really need to wait to see what is happening.

I suspect we are in the most annoying stage of the Star Wars Disney ownership. They clearly have their own plans, but they need to shut down other stuff before they can start (then announce) their plans for it.

Edit: @gaggle64 LucasArts didn't develop the X-Wing/Tie Fighter games.

Edited by Cube

I wonder if this will help at all in getting more of their back catalogue available to buy again.

Grim Fandango is an unplayable mess.

Hahahaha.

No.

Not that the controls couldn't be better, but talk about a huge exaggeration.

What, again? How many times have they died now? I've lost count!

So sad to see the name being lost and their legacy being thrown into the Disney vault :(

Edited by Dcubed

All the best Star Wars games were licensed out to other developers, so this might not be so bad. I was looking forward to 1313 though. ::shrug:

Grim Fandango is an unplayable mess.

Hahahaha.

No.

Not that the controls couldn't be better, but talk about a huge exaggeration.

Actually for me, it literally was.

Installed it, tried to get out of the first room, and it would crash. Couldn't get past the first room.

Think it was a broken disk or something....

Did LucasArts make Battlefront? That was one of my favourites, i hope at some point Battlefront 3 gets made....

Pandemic Studios made the Battlefront games. EA bought the studio and killed them off.

Dammit! Sometimes....sometimes i think EA stands for 'Evil Arseholes'.

*Cries in a corner clutching his copy of Star Wars: Rogue Leader*

That counts, right? A joint collaboration between Factor5 and LucasArts.

*cries some more*

Edit: @gaggle64 LucasArts didn't develop the X-Wing/Tie Fighter games.

I know but they did publish them and they are among the great titles associated with the brand. It just seemed pertinent to mention them.

*Cries in a corner clutching his copy of Star Wars: Rogue Leader*

That counts, right? A joint collaboration between Factor5 and LucasArts.

*cries some more*

Yeah, LucasArts published again.

Which reminds me, there's an N64 copy of Star Wars: Episode 1 - Pod Racer that I need to curl into a ball with.

*cries also*

Edited by gaggle64
Automerged Doublepost

Which reminds me, there's an N64 copy of Star Wars: Episode 1 - Pod Racer that I need to curl into a ball with.

Now that one (and the great Shadows of the Empire) they did make, and it was brilliant.

Actually for me, it literally was.

Installed it, tried to get out of the first room, and it would crash. Couldn't get past the first room.

And you just gave up?

This is why nobody likes you, Bob.

Yeah, LucasArts published again.

*cries also*

Good God, Pod Racer was spectacular. The sense of speed in that game was immense. How we never got a proper sequel to that game, I will never know.

Good God, Pod Racer was spectacular. The sense of speed in that game was immense. How we never got a proper sequel to that game, I will never know.

The sequel was only released on PS2.

And you just gave up?

This is why nobody likes you, Bob.

The reason no-one likes me is because i gave up on a broken copy of Grim Fandango 15 years ago?!

That's quite the revelation...

I remember my sister and I used to play Star Wars Episode 1: Pod Racer on the PC, but we played it in Co-op because it was so damn hard. One of us would do the driving, and the other would deal with the maintenence of the pod (the 'R2D2' role). Joyous times....

The reason no-one likes me is because i gave up on a broken copy of Grim Fandango 15 years ago?!

That's quite the revelation...

And all this time you thought it was because of your personality!

Sounds like instead of allowing this game to be something new and fresh for the Star Wars universe, George Lucas had already stepped in to ruin it anyway...

http://shopto.net/news/42358/Star-Wars-1313-was-going-to-be-about-Boba-Fett

Star Wars 1313 was going to be about Boba Fett

Hnnnnng. Kotaku has revealed that before it was cancelled, LucasArts had shifted development of Star Wars 1313 towards basing the storyline around Boba Fett, the popular Bounty Hunter from the series.

Kotaku's unnamed source states that the game took this major shift in development last May, before the E3 reveal. "Star Wars creator George Lucas looked at 1313 - which at that point had been scrapped and refocused multiple times?and told the team he wanted it to be about Boba Fett, the mercenary whose origins as a clone were revealed in the Star Wars prequel movies."

The same source also stated that "They ended up with movie tech that wouldn't fit in a game, and game tech that wouldn't fit in a movie," and that more importantly "1313 was always in danger of not being made."

Star Wars 1313 was officially cancelled yesterday after Disney decided to shutter LucasArts development wing.

I don't mind nearly as much now.

Dammit! Sometimes....sometimes i think EA stands for 'Evil Arseholes'.

Theres no think about it lol

It was at least as good then any given F-Zero or Wipeout title. I realise what I'm saying and I'll defend that if I have to.

PS. Giantbomb are doing a LucasArts farewell stream tonight, looks like it's about to start. I'm doing a little work, so this'll be my background noise until about 2am I think.