NEurope
are1981

DuckTales Remastered (eShop)

Just been looking through some of the reviews, one review says the game is too hard where as the other one says its too easy.

I'm still getting it, I've been playing through the original the last week or so and it still holds up so if this is anything like the original I'll enjoy it.

Edit - Actually i'm disapointed by this:

Whereas the original game featured nonlinear level layouts and allowed you to play through the stages using whatever route you wanted, Remastered presents numerous key-and-lock scenarios that require you to visit certain points on the map before proceeding onward, resulting in a somewhat more guided approach to each stage. This is especially noticeable in the African mines, which has traded its multiple sprawling paths for a surprisingly linear design.

From the Gamesradar review.

Edited by Helmsly

Games have changed a lot since the NES days. How should they be reviewing this? Against the same games released around the time of the originals (most of these reviewers couldn't even string a sentence together back then) or maybe the cluster of NES remakes that have shown up in the last few years that are more within their scope of experience? I'd say the latter is a lot more fair.

If Ducktales remastered falls short compared to other nostalgia-fueled modern remakes, I'd say the 5/6s are justified.

That said, I still want to give this a go.

Ugh! I've always wanted to play this game, but I want to play the original NES version before playing the remake.

So irritating that the NES original isn't coming to the VC!

You could try the original at VirtualNES.com. It has quite a few games available, and the best thing is, it's completely legal, as they only have games available, they own.

Or course, it's not the best way to play the game, but their streaming emulator is actually pretty good.

DuckTales Remastered - IGN video review

7/10. Overall the review sounded more negative than positive.

It's a very respectful remake of a NES game. To be fair, what did people expect

Well if a place can give a new retro game like Spelunky a 10/10, a score of 6/10 is fairly low.

You could try the original at VirtualNES.com. It has quite a few games available, and the best thing is, it's completely legal, as they only have games available, they own.

Or course, it's not the best way to play the game, but their streaming emulator is actually pretty good.

That doesn't make it legal. Same as if you own a music album, and then post the tracks on youtube for others to listen. It's illegal, because you don't have the right to copy / distribute the work for others (not your copyright) and it's cutting directly into the revenue of the original copyright holder.

I can see what people are getting at with their moral objections to old NES games being pirated, but it's not like Nintendo have made the original Ducktales easily available to play. People are happy to pay for things, just make them easily available.

Edited by Guy
I speled badlie

Well beaten the first two levels and its definitely taken an authentic approach it is not a modern reimagining by any stretch and makes very few concessions for the modern player.

Just watched Videogamesawesome play through the whole game and they had a pretty awesome sound glitch during the final part of the game. Anyone else with the Wii U version get the glitch?

Wii U version isn't out till Thursday I thought.

I guess its out in Canada, they were defo playing the Wii U version.

I just played through the whole game (PC version) and had a blast, it plays like the original so as long as that is what you are looking for; which is an updated version of the original game, then you shouldn't be disappointed.

It really felt like a lot of care and attention went into this, the animations on the characters are really well done, the remixed music sounds great and I really enjoyed some of the dialog the characters come out with. It was like a new episode of Duck Tales. Hearing these characters talk again for the first time in decades and with their original voices is just so awesome.

Heres a few pictures I took

1024x576.resizedimage

1024x576.resizedimage

The only thing I didn't like was the that controls didn't feel quite the same as the original. A few times when I was trying to attack with the Pogo move, it wouldn't work sometimes. I think this is down to me using a 360 controller though, the d-pad isn't quite as responsive as I'd like.

I just played through the whole game (PC version) and had a blast, it plays like the original so as long as that is what you are looking for; which is an updated version of the original game, then you shouldn't be disappointed.

It really felt like a lot of care and attention went into this, the animations on the characters are really well done, the remixed music sounds great and I really enjoyed some of the dialog the characters come out with. It was like a new episode of Duck Tales. Hearing these characters talk again for the first time in decades and with their original voices is just so awesome.

Heres a few pictures I took

1024x576.resizedimage

1024x576.resizedimage

The only thing I didn't like was the that controls didn't feel quite the same as the original. A few times when I was trying to attack with the Pogo move, it wouldn't work sometimes. I think this is down to me using a 360 controller though, the d-pad isn't quite as responsive as I'd like.

Nah nothing to do with 360 controller same on PS3 as well!

Nah nothing to do with 360 controller same on PS3 as well!

well damn, then they screwed up. I was definitely taking damage at times for no fault of my own. I'd assumed it was my slightly worse for wear d-pad on my controller...plus the fact its a 360 d-pad in the first place that was the problem. I'd imagine of the harder difficulties it would be very frustrating.

Hopefully they patch it.

I don't know what people were expecting really, gameplay wise, i've never expected a remaster/remake to alter the game play just bring the graphics/sound etc up to date, so if this is basically the NES version with HD cartoon graphics then its exactly what i would want!

Anyone have any idea why it costs more on the e-shop than on Steam or PSN? I seen this on Gaf.

PSN: £11.99

Steam: £11.99

eShop: £13.49

I was going to get it on the Wii U but seeing as it's cheaper and comes out today rather than tomorrow I may just buy the PSN version.

Wait a day, splash out a whopping £1.50 more and support Nintendo man!! (also on the eShop it currently says £11.99 anyway).

Wait a day, splash out a whopping £1.50 more and support Nintendo man!! (also on the eShop it currently says £11.99 anyway).

Weird. Just checked ONM site and it still has it down for £13.59 as did their press release. Also, the cost increase isn't the issue, it's the principal of the thing.

£11.99 seems a little bit steep for this game. I was expecting around £7.99.

It's somewhat ironic that some of the modernized parts of this game actually let it down...At first the voice acting bits are amazing and every time an old favorite is reintroduced it is great to hear their voice. However it does become a bit much and get in the way of the core experience. I mean say you end up having to replay a level...it's a bit much having to skip 3 separate sets of cinematics.

I don't think I could ever complain about all the dialogue scenes.

They got Scrooge McDuck's 93 year old voice actor (Alan Young) back. I mean, when you bring in someone at 93 to reprise a role, being realistic you're understanding that this is probably one of the last, if not the last, time you'll ever have this opportunity.

The game is a combined tribute to fans of the original game and the TV series, so I'm glad they made quite a lot of use of the voice acting talent.

It is great hearing the dialog again, however I've now played through this game several times and I think they should have had the option to turn off cutscenes. I like them but I don't always want to watch them when I replay a level.

Side note, people have found a strange secret..or something that was accidentally left in by the developers. If you hit the space bar on the screen that shows up after defeating a boss that normally reads "Stage Clear" it changes to this:

2B19F8B04051D039EC78398D0787A364B1351069

Edited by Helmsly

OK, Can't speak for the console versions but the PC version on Steam just got an update that fixes the issue with the Pogo jump move I mentioned a few posts up.

Edited by Helmsly

Has anyone tried this using the wiiu pro controller? i was using it earlier and discovered that the analogue stick doesnt always work when pushing right....

its really odd if you flick back and forth between left and right then it won't register the right movement.

i thought it was my new pro cont, but it works fine on the wiiu menu and pokemon rumble

The controls are exactly how I remember them and so having spent a lot of my childhood playing the game - I have no issues with the pogo stick, or very few.

The dialogue is a bit much though.