N-Europe

Luigi's Mansion

I woke up stupidly early this morning and couldn't get back to sleep. That being the case I decided to unpack the Cube and start playing through Luigi's Mansion, ready for the sequel.

Luigi1_zps0999a863.jpg

The game still looks great, even after 10+ years. Little things such as seeing his Luigi's nose bob up and down, seeing his breath and dust flying out when you knock at an item making this game a magical experience. Even the way that Luigi moves about is fantastic. I had also forgot how hilarious Prof. E. Gadds voice is. He sounds very much like an Ewok. :)

I reached the first boss with zero issues. I remembered how to tackle the baby straight away, despite not playing it since launch. He was pretty easy and the cry that he does reminds me of Baby Marios cries on Yoshis Island.

After the boss I kind of got lost for a while. It took me ages to find out where I was going as I forgot that you could rotate the camera on the map. I had just been going around checking all the doors, but I kept ending up in the basement trying to flick the breaker switch.

Fighting the normal ghosts was as fun as it ever was. I had forgotten about the little Shy Guy enemies that appear throughout the game. I felt sorry for the little guys when I stole their masks from them.

The next portrait boss was the dancing couple. I didn't have a clue how to capture them. I was standing on the rotating floor, waiting for a chance to see their hearts ( COVER YOUR HEART! ) and eventually they showed up and I nabbed them both.

Just a little further from that was the place where you unleash the Boos. Some of the names of these guys are fantastic. Ones like TaBoo, TurBoo and GameBoo Advance brought a smile to my face.

A few rooms/Boos later I managed to nab the Fire Element. I had completely forgot all about the elements in the game. Once I nabbed this one though I remembered about the water and ice ones.

I loved the battle in the Conservatory. Hitting all of the instruments and then listening to the Mario song was great and then when the ghost plays the Mario 3 tune, well that was even better. :D The battle here lasted mere seconds as I quickly dispatched the pages she threw at me with the fire I had gotten earlier and then nabbed her straight after.

The next portrait ghost gave me a bit of an issue. It was the fat SOB eating his dessert at the dinner table. The first stage was easy, with me quickly sucking up his servant ghosts and then getting rid of his food.Once that happened I couldn't find an opening to attack. It wasn't until I dodged all of his attacks that the opening appeared.

With him defeated I moved into the next room where I was able to nab the Water Element. I got to use this straight away in the next place as there was a plant to water. I remembered you had to water this plant every time you defeated a big boss. This would nab me some nice bling once fully grown.

The next boss was one of the big ones. He caused me a bit of trouble purely because there were so many of his minions kicking around, meaning that I had to do multiple sucks with the vac before being able to capture him.

With him busted I went back to the lab and watched all the ghosts so far getting thrown into a Wallace and Gromit style machine and then being turned into paintings.

I headed back outside and around the main building to a gym. The guy in here nearly killed me. I knew I had to hit him with the punch bags but I kept hitting myself! Then when I did hit him he went nuts and came after me in a fit of rage. I managed to capture him but I only had 20HP remaining.

Another ghost that caused me trouble was the stupid old biddy doing her knitting. I kept missing here with her wool and that being the case she kept disappearing. I had to keep entering the room and then exiting if I cocked it up. Luckily she didn't have much fight in her once she had been hit 3 times.

I came across the Astral room, but needed some fire to access it. I decided to trek back to the fortune teller and dump some of my items I had found on her. This allowed me to progress the story a bit and pick up some fire. I noticed that even though I had found Mario's shoe, hat and glove he still seemed to have them on when trapped in the picture. He must have had spares. :laughing:

I headed back to the Astral room and then into the Observatory. This is where Luigi looks up at the (Dark) moon and then the room opens up into some kind of space world. Nintendos first step into making Mario Galaxy? ;)

The next big boss battle was with a bunch of boos. It was easy what you had to do, but doing it was another matter altogether. I could quite easily get the boo onto the unicorn spike but once they popped it was a bit of a nightmare to freeze them. They just kept pegging it all over the place.

After the battle I dump some more ghosts and then set out around the mansion to water some plants for some extra cash. I had only seen 1 golden mouse at this point and never seen anymore during the course of the game.

Once I reached the 3rd floor the lights went out and the breaker needed switching on. See, this is what I was trying to do at the start of the game.:grin: The Prof. informed me that a new ghost was kicking about so I went and nabbed him before turning the lights back on.

I was nearing the end of my adventure and was just mopping up Boos but this is where it got frustrating.

The Boos were now rocking 300HP and would scamper from room to room pretty quickly. What made it worse was that the rooms they were going in were a nightmare to navigate. The cellar was by far the worst one. Take a look.

Luigicellar_zpsd513c2be.jpg

Every time I had entered and re-entered the room those stupid piles of dust would appear! The Boos in this area had a habit of going to the room just above this one, so every time this happened I had to trek back through here again.

Finally will all the Boos caught I was able to head to the final battle. Surprisingly I got killed twice in while fighting him. I had died once in the main game but this boss gave me a right beating. It wasn't until I stood back and took things easy that I was able to beat him.

luigiend1_zpscb0c21c1.jpg

So, in one 5 hour sitting Mario had been saved and Luigi had got himself a new mansion. It was only a B ranked mansion though.

c6b8cac8-dbd1-4caa-87cb-1c7be16bc76d_zpsc902c16e.jpg

Sorry, Luigi. :blush:

Bring on the sequel.

Edited by Retro_Link

I woke up stupidly early this morning and couldn't get back to sleep. That being the case I decided to unpack the Cube and start playing through Luigi's Mansion, ready for the sequel.

Luigi1_zps0999a863.jpg

The game still looks great, even after 10+ years. Little things such as seeing his Luigi's nose bob up and down, seeing his breath and dust flying out when you knock at an item making this game a magical experience. Even the way that Luigi moves about is fantastic. I had also forgot how hilarious Prof. E. Gadds voice is. He sounds very much like an Ewok. :)

I reached the first boss with zero issues. I remembered how to tackle the baby straight away, despite not playing it since launch. He was pretty easy and the cry that he does reminds me of Baby Marios cries on Yoshis Island.

After the boss I kind of got lost for a while. It took me ages to find out where I was going as I forgot that you could rotate the camera on the map. I had just been going around checking all the doors, but I kept ending up in the basement trying to flick the breaker switch.

Fighting the normal ghosts was as fun as it ever was. I had forgotten about the little Shy Guy enemies that appear throughout the game. I felt sorry for the little guys when I stole their masks from them.

The next portrait boss was the dancing couple. I didn't have a clue how to capture them. I was standing on the rotating floor, waiting for a chance to see their hearts ( COVER YOUR HEART! ) and eventually they showed up and I nabbed them both.

Just a little further from that was the place where you unleash the Boos. Some of the names of these guys are fantastic. Ones like TaBoo, TurBoo and GameBoo Advance brought a smile to my face.

A few rooms/Boos later I managed to nab the Fire Element. I had completely forgot all about the elements in the game. Once I nabbed this one though I remembered about the water and ice ones.

I loved the battle in the Conservatory. Hitting all of the instruments and then listening to the Mario song was great and then when the ghost plays the Mario 3 tune, well that was even better. :D The battle here lasted mere seconds as I quickly dispatched the pages she threw at me with the fire I had gotten earlier and then nabbed her straight after.

The next portrait ghost gave me a bit of an issue. It was the fat SOB eating his dessert at the dinner table. The first stage was easy, with me quickly sucking up his servant ghosts and then getting rid of his food.Once that happened I couldn't find an opening to attack. It wasn't until I dodged all of his attacks that the opening appeared.

With him defeated I moved into the next room where I was able to nab the Water Element. I got to use this straight away in the next place as there was a plant to water. I remembered you had to water this plant every time you defeated a big boss. This would nab me some nice bling once fully grown.

The next boss was one of the big ones. He caused me a bit of trouble purely because there were so many of his minions kicking around, meaning that I had to do multiple sucks with the vac before being able to capture him.

With him busted I went back to the lab and watched all the ghosts so far getting thrown into a Wallace and Gromit style machine and then being turned into paintings.

I headed back outside and around the main building to a gym. The guy in here nearly killed me. I knew I had to hit him with the punch bags but I kept hitting myself! Then when I did hit him he went nuts and came after me in a fit of rage. I managed to capture him but I only had 20HP remaining.

Another ghost that caused me trouble was the stupid old biddy doing her knitting. I kept missing here with her wool and that being the case she kept disappearing. I had to keep entering the room and then exiting if I cocked it up. Luckily she didn't have much fight in her once she had been hit 3 times.

I came across the Astral room, but needed some fire to access it. I decided to trek back to the fortune teller and dump some of my items I had found on her. This allowed me to progress the story a bit and pick up some fire. I noticed that even though I had found Mario's shoe, hat and glove he still seemed to have them on when trapped in the picture. He must have had spares. :laughing:

I headed back to the Astral room and then into the Observatory. This is where Luigi looks up at the (Dark) moon and then the room opens up into some kind of space world. Nintendos first step into making Mario Galaxy? ;)

The next big boss battle was with a bunch of boos. It was easy what you had to do, but doing it was another matter altogether. I could quite easily get the boo onto the unicorn spike but once they popped it was a bit of a nightmare to freeze them. They just kept pegging it all over the place.

After the battle I dump some more ghosts and then set out around the mansion to water some plants for some extra cash. I had only seen 1 golden mouse at this point and never seen anymore during the course of the game.

Once I reached the 3rd floor the lights went out and the breaker needed switching on. See, this is what I was trying to do at the start of the game.:grin: The Prof. informed me that a new ghost was kicking about so I went and nabbed him before turning the lights back on.

I was nearing the end of my adventure and was just mopping up Boos but this is where it got frustrating.

The Boos were now rocking 300HP and would scamper from room to room pretty quickly. What made it worse was that the rooms they were going in were a nightmare to navigate. The cellar was by far the worst one. Take a look.

Luigicellar_zpsd513c2be.jpg

Every time I had entered and re-entered the room those stupid piles of dust would appear! The Boos in this area had a habit of going to the room just above this one, so every time this happened I had to trek back through here again.

Finally will all the Boos caught I was able to head to the final battle. Surprisingly I got killed twice in while fighting him. I had died once in the main game but this boss gave me a right beating. It wasn't until I stood back and took things easy that I was able to beat him.

luigiend1_zpscb0c21c1.jpg

So, in one 5 hour sitting Mario had been saved and Luigi had got himself a new mansion. It was only a B ranked mansion though.

c6b8cac8-dbd1-4caa-87cb-1c7be16bc76d_zpsc902c16e.jpg

Sorry, Luigi. :blush:

Bring on the sequel.

What a bloody awesome story. Thanks so much for that :) I really want to replay but it's in my Dad's attic back in England and it's more trouble than it's worth to get him to find it and send me it. When I'm back in July I'm going to pick it up and bring it back to play for extra life.

Great post H-O-T.

I Played this recently and found it to be enjoyable still. Dual analogue movement seemed pretty cutting edge (in hindsight) and the graphics and sound still hold up. Amazing lighting and whistling.

Although at the time I remember being gutted there was no big Mario game at launch, I do remember thoroughly enjoying Luigis Mansion. Although...I remember wanting more mansions.

That wish has come true...over a decade later! Lol