NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

OMG Plus is such a great name, don't kill the branding. 'World' is shit, doesn't mean anything...

I think Wii is probably the first real, out and out griefer I've encountered on this forum.

Do you think Sony will have anything on display that can even come close to matching Nintendo's graphical beasts that are NSMBU and NintendoLand? :blank:

FYI, I hope Sony die!

C'mon man, at least try to be subtle

I wonder if the image in the 15 is of a new IP or possibly hinting using Battlefield 4 as well to showcase the capabilities of PS4..

Oh God. I can't wait to see all your faces when PlayStation World means you have to pay to play online.

It'll be like when Android dropped flash 3 years after iPhone.

Oh whaaaaat?!!!

11 O'Clock PM? I though it was this morning! Crap. I'm sat at my computer like a numpty waiting for nothing.

You know, I wont deny it, usually regarding the other systems I'm a bit spiteful. I want to see them fail. I want to see things like Sony E3 2006. I'm satisfied seeing a screw up, from some egotistical Nintendo Elitist perspective of feeling like only Nintendo "deserve" true success.

But with Orbis, I want to see something interesting. I want to be excited. I want Sony to show me that they can do it right, that they can go forward into what's going to be the most difficult generation ever and produce the goods that meet the challenge.

Nintendo fucked up. They deserve to be whipped here. I've heard the specs Sony, now show me the package. Show me why I should care about a next generation. Show me it's gonna work.

Oh God. I can't wait to see all your faces when PlayStation World means you have to pay to play online.

It'll be like when Android dropped flash 3 years after iPhone.

I can see a collossal shit storm kicking off if that's the case. Mad non-Plus paying Playstation customers, fanboy battles as the die hard Sony fanboys revert to hating something about another console only to love it when Sony does it. Basically, I'd rather it not happen, but I'd love to see the NeoGaf posts if it does.

Oh whaaaaat?!!!

11 O'Clock PM? I though it was this morning! Crap. I'm sat at my computer like a numpty waiting for nothing.

I'd rather it be at night for me! Checked yesterday to find exactly what time its due to find that it's 8am February 21st Japan time.

Nintendo fucked up. They deserve to be whipped here. I've heard the specs Sony, now show me the package. Show me why I should care about a next generation. Show me it's gonna work.

I don't care much for specs as to be honest, consoles are never going to be able to compete with a computer. Hence why I get a good laugh at console fanboys arguing about power, because if they clearly cared much for it, why are they on those platforms?

But yeah, I do agree Nintendo has somewhat gotten complacent with their domination last generation. I just want to see some good competition finally heat up for first place this time round, with Microsoft preferably going down the shitter and re-evaluating their shit offering.

I think Sony have moved past the option to charge for online multiplayer. It's such a basic feature compared to things like Plus and Gaikai and God know what else they have up their sleeves. It's only Microsoft who sees online play as a premium feature.

Also, it would just be so weird to implement at this point. If they were going to do it, they would have started charging with the Vita.

@Daft =

wiig.gif

That's how I act when I'm calm.

I do feel people need to scale down their expectations a bit. Yeah, it has higher specs, but look at how PC games are with even higher specs, they aren't that much of a jump from the 360 and PS3

The PS4 and new Xbox will be a hard sell outside of the very core gamer, and that's coming from someone who has all the consoles atm.

I really am intrigued about how this conference will go, but the stuff on Kotaku has me worried with price, subscription requirements etc. I just hope Sony manage to impress with something cool

I do feel people need to scale down their expectations a bit. Yeah, it has higher specs, but look at how PC games are with even higher specs, they aren't that much of a jump from the 360 and PS3

That's one thing I'm not expecting much of an improvement on. Especially since recently trying The Witcher 2 which, despite what people say about the PC graphics, doesn't actually look all that impressive.

In terms of graphics, I'm expecting a small improvement but with more things happening on-screen without slowdown and all games at 1080p.

I don't know how some people are expecting massive improvements and 4k.

The PS4 and new Xbox will be a hard sell outside of the very core gamer, and that's coming from someone who has all the consoles atm.

I dunno, the PS3 and 360 combined sold almost 150 million units (With the Wii selling like hot cakes, to boot). That audience is still there.

And all I need to know about the PS4's graphics is that Uncharted 2/3 and God of War were made on hardware that's now 7-years-old. And that still blows me, and most other games, away.

I dunno, the PS3 and 360 combined sold almost 150 million units (With the Wii selling like hot cakes, to boot). That audience is still there.

And all I need to know about the PS4's graphics is that Uncharted 3 was made on hardware that's now 7-years-old.

Yeah, but would the masses really be willing to get something that on a glance is not that much better than the console they already own and/or can get at less than half the price?

If the iPad sold 96 million units last year with yearly iterations, then people will pony up for a next gen console after 7 years.

Hence why the most vocal people for the new generation are actually the PC gamers. Traditionally, games were developed for PC in mind and then ported to consoles, but now we see the reverse. It's kind of like how most multiplatform games got completely shafted on the PS3 with occasional graphical errors and performance issues, because there's no optimisation being done outside of the dominant platform (this generations case: The 360).

But just like the PS3, games specifically designed for the system surpass the 'dominant' platform. You can't get the detail of stuff such as the Uncharted series and Heavy Rain on a 360 because it's just not technically possible, but some moments of the Halo series have been close.

Although it's one hell of a fucking cliche title to call on, the original Crysis still shows what the PC was capable over 5 years ago that still exceeds the output of most console games. Also combine the fact that games on PC tend to make themselves more performance orientated rather than shitting it all into graphical capabilities (1080p is now something of the past for mid-range PC's). Texture quality, sophisticated lighting, rendering distances, 60 frames per second and beyond frame rates and supported resolutions that require multiple monitors. This is all the stuff the PC platform is capable off when specifically developed for, but isn't due to a much larger market being available on consoles and corner cutting.

If you think PC games aren't much of a jump, I'm very curious as to what you expect the jump to be for the other next generation machines, because they too will be a considerable jump. I just hope they start considering performance as well.

Increase in CPU speed and GPU memory is about all it's going to take to make a difference that will satisfy me in the next generation. 1080p isn't a big deal on a TV screen, but nice, a consistent framerate (doesn't have to be 60fps, but as long as it doesn't struggle in areas with varied lighting/smoke animations/lots of models) - and little things like improved rendering, faster caching of textures etc will be a good step forward.

I think Sony have moved past the option to charge for online multiplayer. It's such a basic feature compared to things like Plus and Gaikai and God know what else they have up their sleeves. It's only Microsoft who sees online play as a premium feature.

Also, it would just be so weird to implement at this point. If they were going to do it, they would have started charging with the Vita.

That's how I act when I'm calm.

Yeah, it makes absolutely zero sense why they would charge for online when neither the PC or Wii do it. It's also one of their major selling points and they undoubtedly know there would be a colossal shit storm if they were to charge people. No, that's definitely one thing that won't happen.

I'm getting a strange vibe that PlayStation World is the new Home.

Also, the last time there was an "Xbox live-style subscription" it turned out to be PS+.

Yeah, I was thinking Playstation World made much more sense as a re-launch to Home. Plus has way too many positive associations with it right now, makes no sense to re-brand it. If they do, Imma be pissed.

From the amount of tweets from Codemasters about #PlayStationMemories, I think we'll see the PS4 version of GRiD 3 tonight.

Got to say I'm looking forward to seeing what Sony announce today. Not had a Sony console since PlayStation 2 they could win me back.

Go take a look at Crysis 3. Then tell me with a straight face that the next generation isn't going to blow your mind.

Go take a look at Crysis 3. Then tell me with a straight face that the next generation isn't going to blow your mind.

The next generation isn't going to blow my mind

From the amount of tweets from Codemasters about #PlayStationMemories, I think we'll see the PS4 version of GRiD 3 tonight.
Grid 2 you mean?... or you think they'll be developing Grid 3 for the PS4?