N-Europe

LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins

Retro_Link

Not much to go on for now, but the 3DS game will be a Prequel to the Wii U game, even though it comes out afterwards! :p

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/01/17/lego-city-undercover-titles-dated

LEGO City: Undercover will launch on Wii U in North America on March 18, while the game's prequel, LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins, will arrive on 3DS on April 21.

Edited by Retro_Link

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nintendolife Review:

LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins is an enjoyable game that features many of the hallmarks of a quality LEGO title – there's tons of content, a decently crafted campaign and some fun uses of the 3DS hardware. However, it's burdened by several technical issues that sap away at some of its appeal and prevent it from being the handheld blockbuster it could have, and should have, been.

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/3ds/lego_city_undercover_the_chase_begins

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-19-lego-city-undercover-the-chase-begins-review

Just like the Wii U game, The Chase Begins has big ambitions - but it suffers for being crammed into a smaller footprint. Compared to its partner, it's undeniably compromised. Taken on its own merits, however, there's still enough charm and fun to be found in this smaller toybox to make it a worthy second best choice.

IGN preview

Edited by khilafah

Spent a few hours with the game so far. It's okay, pretty average. Having played the Wii U version, the city does lack some character due to the pop ups, fog and lack of people on the streets, and as there's not much music or spoken dialogue outside the main cut scenes, the games does feel a bit empty. Missions are much simpler and shorter too, and as a result feel a bit more repetitive than usual.

Children should enjoy it, but adults should seek out the Wii U version if they can :smile:

Does it still have a load of unlockables?

Yes, there are plenty of vehicles and characters to unlock by exploring the city in more detail, but it does seem difficult to keep track of what you've got and what you haven't.

Personally I have no incentive to go after them in this version, my copy is already on eBay :grin:

My copy arrived today. I haven't played it for very long but here are my initial impressions.

It's a good representation of the Lego City but the fog and pop-up ruin the feeling of a living toy town. There is a lack of music and voiced dialogue but there is non-voiced dialogue, so I didn't miss it that much but I feel it would hurt the experience for children.

There's occasional slow down but I don't feel it hampers the gameplay that much. The horrible load times remain from the Wii U. I'd say they're made even more annoying being on a portable game.

I want to play a few more missions before I say how they are.

• 2 weeks later...