N-Europe

General Gaming Sales/Charts Discussion

Pre-orders don't mean a damn thing though. The 3DS and Wii U broke pre-order records and look what happened there.

Well they do mean something. It says something that Microsoft's allotment is magnitudes less than Sony's.

...So they do mean something. And actually much more than that.

I'm certain you wouldn't be saying the same thing if pre-orders were in the toilet.

The Last Of Us continues to impress.

I'm so pleased that this is finding the success it deserves. Truly a unique gaming experience and it's great to see many other gamers are sharing this experience as well.

My brother bought a PS3 just to play it, its mad as he's pre-ordered a PS4. :o

He still has no interest in the Wii U. ::shrug:

Here's quite a decent article from Gamasutra about the Wii U sales, both software and hardware, from launch until now.

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/195808/Analysis_Wii_Us_twofold_problem.php

Be interested to see what arguments come up against an article like this. It puts the Wii U in a rather damning light in comparison with a lot of previous systems. I hadn't even considered the point about the lack of 3rd party titles for 2014 before either. Probably waiting to see the state of the other consoles.

Nintendo need to do something big, marketing push, price cut, and a killer unique title.

Be interested to see what arguments come up against an article like this. It puts the Wii U in a rather damning light in comparison with a lot of previous systems. I hadn't even considered the point about the lack of 3rd party titles for 2014 before either. Probably waiting to see the state of the other consoles.

Nintendo need to do something big, marketing push, price cut, and a killer unique title.

I suppose you could say that it's not that far off the PS3 numbers and just look at how well that console is doing now. However, the PS3 had 3rd parties on it's side, a decent online setup, was a bluray player and launched some killer new IPs this generation, so you can see why it eventually picked up.

I think this holiday will be what makes or breaks the Wii U. If it doesn't start performing at a decent level after Donkey Kong, Pikmin 3, W101, Zelda and Mario arrive then I don't think it ever will.

An interesting point that was made on Gaf ( someone may have made it on here as well ) is that the 3DS may be actually causing problems for the Wii U. Let's be honest, the 3DS has had a killer year this year and with the release of Pokemon and Monster Hunter 4 in Japan, those two games alone will have people set for the rest of the year.

Another argument in that is the milking/constant iterations of franchises across both systems possibly eating into the sales of the other. What parent knows the difference between New Super Mario Bros U, and the New Super Mario Bros 2 that they bought for their kid's 3DS two months ago?

I understand the PS3 flagged hard for a while, but as you say it eventually picked up and whatnot; it took its sweet time though, had to become more affordable, and generally offered more than the Wii U currently does.

I still consider myself more of a Nintendo fan that most, and yet despite the holiday lineup I know I won't be picking up everything on the list. DK doesn't appeal to me, Mario doesn't appeal to me much, WW doesn't appeal to me much, W101 does, and Pikmin sort of does but I'm not even sure on that. I'm short on time, and atm I'm also short on money - I'm haemorrhaging a bit on the 3DS rather than the Wii U(which I've already put about £300 into this year ofc, and that's cos I've been doing it on the cheap!)

Edited by Rummy

The PS3 was also the last console of its generation released. The Wii U, on the other hand is going up against two new consoles from companies that, when it comes to it, are pretty ruthless (for better and worse).

Also, it's amazing that the PS3 sold that much considering how ridiculously expensive it was.

Frankly, that seems optimistic nearly to the point of delusional.

Pretty much describe what I think Nintendo's approach to the games industry is.

Edited by Daft

Add to all those good points is that the PS3 had a well of power to be tapped into that took time to figure out. The Wii U does not and is probably closer to this generation than next generation which will cripple it even more in the long term. The price undoubtedly was the biggest stumbling price for the PS3.

There's no saving the Wii U now, it's on life support, it's just a matter of when the plug is pulled. It was doomed from the start. I don't think it can survive like it did in the N64/Gamecube era. It takes too long now to develop games to survive the droughts.

I'm kinda surprised that the 3DS is doing as well as it is and that it could be affecting WiiU sales. 3DS games seem to be only £5-£10 cheaper than Wii U ones. Though Nintendo Land & ZombiU are only £18 each surprisingly on Amazon. I've always considered getting a 3DS but 1st party titles never seem to drop below £20 so I can't really afford it. :sad:

They are doing a big marketing push, releasing 10 first party titles between now and the end of the year

They are doing a big marketing push, releasing 10 first party titles between now and the end of the year

Half of those are rubbish and are not going to give the Wii U the kick up the backside it needs. Where are the Wii U ads now? Nintendo are the stingiest company when it comes to advertising. You need to spend money to make money you misers!

The PS3 sales really started to move once it got the price drop. Until then there was no one single game which turned the corner. The benefit sony had was even though they launched far to high the console was future proof.

This is where I think the Wii U could really stuggle as I dont think its just about price. They are up against the 360/PS3 which produce similar looking games and have more 3rd party support and then you have 2 new more powerful consoles coming out which again will have the 3rd party support as well as exclusive next gen games.

Also like it or not a 3DS with Pokemon at holiday season is another device competing for people's wallets.

There is no easy way out of this hole.

Edited by liger05

The PS3 sales really started to move once it got the price drop. Until then there was no one single game which turned the corner. The benefit sony had was even though they launched far to high the console was future proof.

This is where I think the Wii U could really stuggle as I dont think its just about price. They are up against the 360/PS3 which produce similar looking games and have more 3rd party support and then you have 2 new more powerful consoles coming out which again will have the 3rd party support as well as exclusive next gen games.

There is no easy way out of this hole.

Exactly. There is no way out of this hole now. It's too late, the damage is done.

As Chief Wiggum would say "Dig up stupid"!

It wan't just a price drop for the PS3; it involved a redesign of the machine (not just making it smaller but getting rid of that stupid Spider-man font), a whole new direction for the marketing campaign (for starters the machine got re-branded from 'Playstation 3' to 'PS3') and this was happened in a year with massive games like Uncharted 2, Killzone 2, Demons Souls and more.

It was actually a phenomenally impressive shift. I don't think a lot of people remember how shite the early years of the PS3 were.

What it needs right now is a AAA title that will grab the attention of the gaming world and one that is marketed perfectly by Nintendo

Only two of the titles below are capable of selling millions of Wii U's

Pikmin 3 - looks a great game but franchise sales aren't great

The Wonderful 101 - New IP, will do ok but nothing special

Wind Waker HD - remake, won't sell that many consoles but will keep Zelda fans happy

Wii Party U - Game & Wario sales = flop

Wii Fit U - will the casuals buy a Wii U to play it, Nintendo hopes they will.

DKC: Tropical Freeze - will be an amazing game but will people buy the console to play it... lets hope so for Nintendo's sake.

Super Mario 3D World - it all comes down to good old reliable Mario, can he sell millions of Wii U's in the run up to Christmas, I wouldn't put it past him.

Thats only 7 titles, what are the 3 I've missed???

I'm kinda surprised that the 3DS is doing as well as it is and that it could be affecting WiiU sales. 3DS games seem to be only £5-£10 cheaper than Wii U ones. Though Nintendo Land & ZombiU are only £18 each surprisingly on Amazon. I've always considered getting a 3DS but 1st party titles never seem to drop below £20 so I can't really afford it. :sad:

Your kids got a 3DS, your kids got a Wii U. £5-10 might make quite a difference. Especially as your kid is likely, as most kids are, to be a little shit half the time he/she's somewhere they'd rather not be. Where would they rather be? Playing video games. 3DS=ultimate solution.

I've seen you claim to be a journalist. You should be aware that releasing games is not marketing.

'10 first party titles' as well - I'm unaware of what they are but it looks to me that you're putting your deliberate journalistic spin of extremes on that, I'd say.

One other point in favour of the PS3, is that when it DID get its price drop it had a nice enough back catalogue of both cheap exclusives, and the general cheap all platformers. The way Wii U is looking right now, it won't have so much of that given it seems to be being ignored for some upcoming games which WILL exist on the competition consoles.

What it needs right now is a AAA title that will grab the attention of the gaming world and one that is marketed perfectly by Nintendo

Wind Waker HD - remake, won't sell that many consoles but will keep Zelda fans happy

DKC: Tropical Freeze - will be an amazing game but will people buy the console to play it... lets hope so for Nintendo's sake.

Super Mario 3D World - it all comes down to good old reliable Mario, can he sell millions of Wii U's in the run up to Christmas, I wouldn't put it past him.

No Mario kart for holiday season is crazy. I would of made sure that was priority.

It should be ready though.

Should be prioritised over tat like Wii Party and other crap. Too late now as it is not ready so there we have it. Im not too bothered really as I can wait.

I dont think the general public can wait though. Xmas is really a missed opportunity for nintendo. Mario Kart is actually one of those games where you are likely to have a go with family on xmas day aswell.

Your kids got a 3DS, your kids got a Wii U. £5-10 might make quite a difference. Especially as your kid is likely, as most kids are, to be a little shit half the time he/she's somewhere they'd rather not be. Where would they rather be? Playing video games. 3DS=ultimate solution.

I've seen you claim to be a journalist. You should be aware that releasing games is not marketing.

'10 first party titles' as well - I'm unaware of what they are but it looks to me that you're putting your deliberate journalistic spin of extremes on that, I'd say.

One other point in favour of the PS3, is that when it DID get its price drop it had a nice enough back catalogue of both cheap exclusives, and the general cheap all platformers. The way Wii U is looking right now, it won't have so much of that given it seems to be being ignored for some upcoming games which WILL exist on the competition consoles.

Funnily enough, I wasn't referring to the release of games as marketing. Please refrain from putting words in my mouth.

Well New Super Luigi U retail for one. It counts. I keep forgetting to change the 10 to 9 in regards to Game & Wario's release though, so for that I apologise.

Mario & Sonic, while developed by Sega, is funded and published by Nintendo. Sonic Lost World is also being published by Nintendo, but doesn't really count

The original Wii Party sold 8 million units. It's irrational to just assume it will do Game & Wario style sales and flop. I'm not saying it'll sell crazily, but at this point you cannot make assertions either way

Funnily enough, I wasn't referring to the release of games as marketing. Please refrain from putting words in my mouth.

In that case, learn to use good grammar and punctuation so that your meaning is clear. Your post was one single sentence. I cannot be blamed for your poor expression of points.

In that case, learn to use good grammar and punctuation so that your meaning is clear. Your post was one single sentence. I cannot be blamed for your poor expression of points.

I apologise. It seems I forgot to finish my thought. Could have sworn I did though.

The original Wii Party sold 8 million units. It's irrational to just assume it will do Game & Wario style sales and flop. I'm not saying it'll sell crazily, but at this point you cannot make assertions either way

Yeah but thats most likely because it came bundled with a wiimote and launched when the Wii was the must have item.

Wii Play Motion launched near the end of the Wii's life, when the expanded audience had moved on and didn't even make a splash, despite it coming with a motion plus. I don't think it even sold 1 million copies WW.

The new one doesn't come with another gamepad and will be launching while the Wii U lacks a decent userbase. I think it's a fair assumption that it will probably mimic the numbers of the sequel rather than the original.

Yeah but thats most likely because it came bundled with a wiimote and launched when the Wii was the must have item.

Wii Play Motion launched near the end of the Wii's life, when the expanded audience had moved on and didn't even make a splash, despite it coming with a motion plus. I don't think it even sold 1 million copies WW.

The new one doesn't come with another gamepad and will be launching while the Wii U lacks a decent userbase. I think it's a fair assumption that it will probably mimic the numbers of the sequel rather than the original.

I'm confused, are you talking about Wii Play which launched alongside the console and had the original controller (and thus became one of the biggest selling games)?

Wii Party was released in 2010/11, sometime around then. I think it also came with a controller (WMP this time).

According to Wiki; Wii Play sold 28 million and Wii Party sold 8.