NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

Weight Loss and Fitness 2013

So I've decided to loose another 10lb of fat to hit the 10st mark before I start to build some lean muscle.

Give me some motivation N-E! After already losing 6.5st I'm seriously lacking it.

Thats really impressive and just shows that it can be done. Are you going to then go on a bulking/cutting cycle afterwards?

Hah, no I don't believe in it. Just eat healthy with a bit more protein and do weights.

Hah, no I don't believe in it. Just eat healthy with a bit more protein and do weights.

What's your current diet like for curiosity sakes?

I know you rarely every go out but do you find alcohol prohibitive to weight loss?

What's your current diet like for curiosity sakes?

I know you rarely every go out but do you find alcohol prohibitive to weight loss?

Hahaha, I'm loling. Erm, well I only go out once a week and keep it to spirits with diet mixers such as a Vodka and Diet Coke. So no, not so much.

So I've decided to loose another 10lb of fat to hit the 10st mark before I start to build some lean muscle.

Give me some motivation N-E! After already losing 6.5st I'm seriously lacking it.

That's phenomenal weight loss but seriously 10st is nothing. What height are you? You'd want to be 4ft nothing for 10st to be heavy.

Now I do high-weight low-rep, I think my squat form might be suffering. I'm not sure I squat down deep enough. I still get to the sit position, which is cool, but wondering if I should reign it back and do full deep squats...if that makes sense.

Well you see, I thought 10st would be too low as well. But I'm 10st 10lb now and still have a fair bit of fat around my chest and core.

Then the other day I was looking at the weight of football players and a lot who are my height (5ft 11") are just above 11 stone.

So I was thinking drop to 10st then put on a stone of muscle over the course of a year. Looking in the mirror and on the scales I think this should work nicely.

I can't believe that, especially considering muscle weighs more than fat.

I suspect you'll get diminishing returns, tbh - but I may be wrong. You've lost enough weight to start putting on muscle. You can then cut again later. That's what I'd do.

What can't you believe? The weight of football players? If that's what you're talking about hop over to PSG's website who Beckham has just signed for. Obviously that's bang up to date and it says he's 6ft and 75kg.

Edited by Caris

Ah, my bad. I read 10 stone for some reason, yeah, 11 stone sounds right.

Well you see, I thought 10st would be too low as well. But I'm 10st 10lb now and still have a fair bit of fat around my chest and core.

Then the other day I was looking at the weight of football players and a lot who are my height (5ft 11") are just above 11 stone.

So I was thinking drop to 10st then put on a stone of muscle over the course of a year. Looking in the mirror and on the scales I think this should work nicely.

You could do that, or you could start building muscle now anyway. You'll lose some of the fat along the way. Also, the last place you'll lose your fat will be your core, unfortunately. So, for that reason, what I would do is start weight training and add in a sensible bit of cardio.

I are kicking ass and taking names

todays routine:

Essential stretching to warm up

kb swing - 16kg 10 reps x 2

Clean and press - 20kg x 10 / 25 x 8 / 30 x 5 / 35 x 4 / 40 x 5

OHP - 20kg x 5 / 25 x 4 / 30 x 2 (did these at the end of each c&p set, a bit of extra work on my press as its my weak bit)

DEADLEEEEEFT - 50kg x 10 / 55kg x 8 / 60kg x 5

wouldve tried 70kg BUT I actually only have 60kg worth of weights at home, lol

:D

Now I do high-weight low-rep, I think my squat form might be suffering. I'm not sure I squat down deep enough. I still get to the sit position, which is cool, but wondering if I should reign it back and do full deep squats...if that makes sense.

Yeah sounds like you might be cutting corners on your depth due to the weight. You're probably subconsciously concerned about being able to stand back up which is causing you to reverse the squat at a point you feel more confident.

Assuming you've started squatting fairly recently, if the weight is feeling too heavy to maintain the desired depth and form, your "beginner gains" maybe be slowing down. So you may have to except you can't increase the weight as often, and/or by as much.

What you could do is drop the weight and continue to squat deep for a few sessions with the same weight, to "own the weight" as Dan john would say. Once you've hit the desired sets and reps, at the right depth and with good form, for 2 or 3 sessions then try increasing the weight.

Edit: another thing you could try would be to do singles of the next weight. So after your 3x5 of 70kg for example, you could try single reps of 72.5kg or 75kg and just concetrate on form. If you can't do a single rep at 75kg correctly then you know your not ready for 3x5 as 75kg, and need to either make a smaller increase and/or do another session of 70kg.

Edited by pratty

You could do that, or you could start building muscle now anyway. You'll lose some of the fat along the way. Also, the last place you'll lose your fat will be your core, unfortunately. So, for that reason, what I would do is start weight training and add in a sensible bit of cardio.

So true. Take this advice @Caris The midriff is definitely the toughest area. A lot of times it can just be bloating. I suffer from bloating and I'm sure it's from wheat but I don't care and am not cutting it out of my diet. I know I'm super fit and I don't know if you're aiming for a 6 pack but I think it's just vanity. The only 6 packs I see is all the beer I drink every weekend. I know it's there, I seen it before Christmas but I had to give up drink for 6 weeks. It's not worth the sacrifice of giving up drink.

If you want to lose weight around the waist, don't do carbs. It actually almost as simple as that. I've always had a little fat there as well (most people have) and when I began to cut back on bread, pasta, rice, and potatoes, I actually lost much of that fat there. Of course, I still exercise very regularly and do lots of heavy lifting so that helps too.

Yesterday I did a 1.5 arm pull-up. It was much, much easier than I would have thought.

If you want to lose weight around the waist, don't do carbs. It actually almost as simple as that. I've always had a little fat there as well (most people have) and when I began to cut back on bread, pasta, rice, and potatoes, I actually lost much of that fat there. Of course, I still exercise very regularly and do lots of heavy lifting so that helps too.

Yesterday I did a 1.5 arm pull-up. It was much, much easier than I would have thought.

I ate very little carbs during the summer and did some skipping almost every day. I looked quite trim and my stomach was the flattest it had been for a long while. Will have to get on that routine again pretty soon. The downside is that my lifts weren't as good around that time.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

Yeah sounds like you might be cutting corners on your depth due to the weight. You're probably subconsciously concerned about being able to stand back up which is causing you to reverse the squat at a point you feel more confident.

Assuming you've started squatting fairly recently, if the weight is feeling too heavy to maintain the desired depth and form, your "beginner gains" maybe be slowing down. So you may have to except you can't increase the weight as often, and/or by as much.

What you could do is drop the weight and continue to squat deep for a few sessions with the same weight, to "own the weight" as Dan john would say. Once you've hit the desired sets and reps, at the right depth and with good form, for 2 or 3 sessions then try increasing the weight.

Edit: another thing you could try would be to do singles of the next weight. So after your 3x5 of 70kg for example, you could try single reps of 72.5kg or 75kg and just concetrate on form. If you can't do a single rep at 75kg correctly then you know your not ready for 3x5 as 75kg, and need to either make a smaller increase and/or do another session of 70kg.

Nah, been squatting for a while. Started bulking recently so just think I jumped a weight too high now I'm doing high weights and low reps. Was much better yesterday. Except on overhead squats. It's not so much the weight as I'm not 100% confident I can pull off the balance and not fall over. Going to try it again and just focus on the movement, nail that and then start trying more weight. I think I'm just being a moron.

So basically what you said. :heh:

Reyt so my back is now recovered and i thought id make the trip down the gym to do some weight training. Did shoulders today but kept it quite light today. The past month has been ok diet wise and ive added some cardio into my routine rather than weightlifting.

I had my body fat measured today. Last month was a staggering 33.8% which led me to add cardio and eat properly. Bearing in mind that ive been eating crap and not doing owt for past week due to my back I measured 32.6% today. Now its not a massive drop but its going down the right road at least.

I went ate very little carbs during the summer and did skipping almost every day. I looked quite trim and my stomach was the flattest it had been for a long while. Will have to get on that routine again pretty soon. The downside is that my lifts weren't as good around that time.

I've never lifted as heavy as I do now, four months of low carb diet.... Of course I eat carbs, I just only eat carbs that come with something else. I eat lots of fruit, eat oat meal in the morning, lots of vegetables, and then lots of meat. For my meat I just eat root beets, carrots, and other roots. They are richer in vitamins than potatoes.

Having a flat stomach isn't related to carbs, in saying that you're almost stating you can spot reduce weight, which you obviously can't. A healthy diet does the trick with sufficient exercise does the trick. Genetically men will always lose weight round the abdominals last, as it's normally the first place you gain. Obviously eating too much carbs and not burning it off will lead to weight gain and men gain weight round the mid riff first but that's as far as it goes.

Having a flat stomach isn't related to carbs, in saying that you're almost stating you can spot reduce weight, which you obviously can't. A healthy diet does the trick with sufficient exercise does the trick. Genetically men will always lose weight round the abdominals last, as it's normally the first place you gain. Obviously eating too much carbs and not burning it off will lead to weight gain and men gain weight round the mid riff first but that's as far as it goes.

The two statements there contradict each other. If you follow any cutting routines, the majority will focus on burning off those calories and watching what goes in, including carbs. Eating a smaller amount of carbs and burning off those calories with something like running or swimming will help a lot.

Nobody said anything about spot training or spot reducing weight. If you exercise enough to burn off those calories and eat the right way, you'll get trimmer all over which will make your stomach look better.

Edit: Just read through this thread again and figured you might have been referring to Mindfreak's post about "no carbs", which isn't something I'd really advise.

Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym.

tumblr_m09plvItq51rqfhi2o1_400.gif

You'll still need to exercise to get rid of the excess fat, but eating right is the way forward.

Lol @ people at work who tell me to do more situps to get abs.