NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

Weight Loss and Fitness 2013

Quite proud of my gym efforts today...

Did chest in the morning. Then did 30 mins swimming during dinner and just come back from the gym after doing 60 mins of cardio. Ive also been eating really well in the last few days. Hopefully i will make some progress

will acquire my fathers yoga blox ;)

Birthday lifting today @Fierce_LiNk?

Haha, no, I'm full of cake and Indian. I can't fucking walk right now!

Well needed kick up the arse yesterday, got me back into my fasting again.. Thought I could manage doing a monthly weigh in but I just ended up going off the end and failing. Gonna go back to weekly weigh ins, maybe even every 2 weeks once I'm back on track.

Today I weighed in at 251.9. 50.1% bf :o

Bit strange as I was 280 and 50% bodyfat at the start of this year?! So despite training, developing muscles, AND dropping weight, I've actually got MORE bodyfat? errr....

But anyway, time to sort myself, I've been in the low end of 250/high end of 240lbs for TOO FUCKING LONG (the guts of 3 months!)

I surprised myself today... not much of an accomplishment you may be thinking but it goes to show that you just never know some things until you try.

Last week, I was debating whether to go for 75 or 80kgs for my last set of deadlifts (6 reps). Either wieght would have been an improvement on the previous week anyway, and so I decided to play it safe and just go with 75kg. I didn't struggle too much and in hindsight, the higher amount was more than doable.

Today, I was thinking about what weight I was going to do for my 3 sets. The first set is 12 reps, then 8 and then 6 and the weight is increased each time. With starting on 50kg, it dawned on me that if I did 80kg for my set of 6, I would have shifted a lot more total weight with my 12 rep "warm up" than my 6 rep "push". Consequently, I ended up doing 75kg for my set of 8 (my last week max over 6) and then 100kg for my set of 6 - each set therefore involving lifting 600kg in total. Now 75kg to 100kg is a bit of jump in my mind considering I've only been doing these for 3 prior and my other sets were heavier than last week too.

I just like those days when you push yourself beyond what you think you should be able to do for an exercise, but manage to do it anyway without too much trouble. I hope I can accomplish a similar improvement in squats tomorrow.

ARGH my snapping hip has come back -_-

I did a very ungraceful ninja slide out of my car in the ice, probably pulled a muscle :( It only started hurting today (the first time I've done any weights). Did an ITB stretch there and it SEEMS to have helped it, got all me digits crossed that it stays away :(

I surprised myself today... not much of an accomplishment you may be thinking but it goes to show that you just never know some things until you try.

Last week, I was debating whether to go for 75 or 80kgs for my last set of deadlifts (6 reps). Either wieght would have been an improvement on the previous week anyway, and so I decided to play it safe and just go with 75kg. I didn't struggle too much and in hindsight, the higher amount was more than doable.

Today, I was thinking about what weight I was going to do for my 3 sets. The first set is 12 reps, then 8 and then 6 and the weight is increased each time. With starting on 50kg, it dawned on me that if I did 80kg for my set of 6, I would have shifted a lot more total weight with my 12 rep "warm up" than my 6 rep "push". Consequently, I ended up doing 75kg for my set of 8 (my last week max over 6) and then 100kg for my set of 6 - each set therefore involving lifting 600kg in total. Now 75kg to 100kg is a bit of jump in my mind considering I've only been doing these for 3 prior and my other sets were heavier than last week too.

I just like those days when you push yourself beyond what you think you should be able to do for an exercise, but manage to do it anyway without too much trouble. I hope I can accomplish a similar improvement in squats tomorrow.

That's good going. Quite similar to how I broke past the 95kg mark.

I had a really bad day at work where one of the kids was very rude to me. I went home that night very pissed off and woke up the next morning still annoyed. Back then, I used to go to the gym before work and so was up at 5:30 or so, fuming with rage.

Went to the gym to deadlift and was on 95kg. Handled it, and thought raaargh, let's just add more weight. Tried 100kg, which I had never done up until that point. Hmm, seemed fine. Added 10kg, just to take the piss. Still fine. Then, I thought I'd push my luck and add another 10kg. Did it, the anger was fueling me to lift that weight up.

Surprised myself. It really is amazing what you can do when you just push yourself to do it. I tried it again about a week later and managed to do it, so I knew it wasn't a fluke. Was happy.

Did some back work tonight, using the heavy 25kg plates for the second time. Trying to work my way back up to the heavy stuff. Managed to get back to 100kg for 5 reps, but my grip wasn't strong enough to go past that. Tried 105kg for two, and didn't feel confident enough to go past that with my grip. Need to work on that.

Actually, might be more than that because I'm not taking into account the weight of the bar. It's this one. One of the reviews says that the weight of the bar is close to 8kg. Not sure about that.

I wish i wasnt ill and this snow and ice would go away so i can go to the gym. Ive not been since thurs. i lnow excuses excuses but at least i am keeping the good diet in the interim.

I wish i wasnt ill and this snow and ice would go away so i can go to the gym. Ive not been since thurs. i lnow excuses excuses but at least i am keeping the good diet in the interim.

Wait til it gets a bit better then do eeet.

My old gym back home was on the other side of a big bridge. Trying to work there and back when it was leg day and icy was interesting.

Personal training today... Am dying :( my shoulders feel like they're hanging by a thread xD

Doing more snatch work, kb swings (20kg kb) and lots of clean and presses. Tried 40kg but the flick in the arms just wasn't happening. Could do 10x 40 kg yesterday but that was on a full tank, did a few reps of 20 then just went up to 40kg. Then did the snatch work, building up each section of the move before gluing it altogether. Did the swing part standing, then swing then squat, then the overhead press/squat part, then glued it together. Using a step as a baseline to where my squat needs to get down to is handy. Then if fluff up the squat I'm not going to fall far and hurt myself :)

10 minutes xtrainer

kettlebell 20kg swings x10

clean and press - oly bar 20kg x 10

kettlebell 10kg swing x 10

clean and press - oly bar 20kg x 10

(that was warm up)

Clean and press 25kg x 10

clean and press 30kg x 8

clean and press 35kg x 5

-attempted the 40kg but by this point my body was beginning to feel the wrath so I couldn't get the flick up to the shoulders bit at all -

clean and press 20kg to fail - 12 reps

(10kg barbell)

snatch swing x 10

snatch swing & squat x 10

squat barbell on shoulders x 10

squat barbell raised x 10 - my shoulder were beginning to cry by this point

full snatch into press x 5 (incorporating all of the above in one seamless move)

Edited by Raining_again

Anyone on fitocracy?

I don't know what you're onnn aboouuuuuut. [/Cockney/Eastender]

My back aches from back day. Triceps ache from yesterday. Not sure if I have the strength for leg day. :p

Tomorrow.

https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Hannata/

Theres my profile. Its a website you log your weights/exercise/activity on. Tells you when you get PB's, gives you points for workouts, and you can get badges, achievements and all kinds of things.

I think a lot of people here might get a kick out of it, as its quite gaming orientated. It's motivating me to do a bit more just to kick my friends arses and get MOAR POINTS. :)

Today I weighed in at 251.9. 50.1% bf :o

Bit strange as I was 280 and 50% bodyfat at the start of this year?! S

Did you use the same scales? I'm a bit skeptical about bodyfat machines. I get different readings every time. Callipers are the way forward if you can find someone who has them and can use them properly.

Anyone on fitocracy?

I was on it, but deleted it because I found it pointless (i.e. have no friends).

I squatted a PB tonight. 3x5 80kg. Pretty chuffed with that. Making good progress. Also made a new gym friend, a guy who always seems to be up there at the same time asked if I could spot him and we started chatting.

Squatted for the first time with the new bar. Had 97.5kg in plates on the bar and managed to go for two sets of 3 reps. Might have done more on a better day, but work was tiring. Before that, managed 95 for 6. Weighed the bar afterwards out of curiosity to see if it really is 8kg and it turns out that it is! Bringing the total weight to 105.5 for 3 or 103kg for 6. Both are higher than my previous best which was 100kg.

Now I've broken down that barrier, I feel a bit more confident that I can squat more now. A bit depressing that my squat is almost equal to my deadlift...need to improve that grip.

need to improve that grip.

Good job on the squatting.

Before I knackered my back I found that it was grip holding my deadlift back, curse my small hands. I reckon I could have lifted quite a bit more than the 110-120kg I usually stalled at if only I could have held on to the bar.

I was detmined not to resort to straps and I've never liked pulling with a mixed grip as I tended to twist, so I always lifted double overhand. I found my grip did improve over time from just the deadlifting itself, just not at the same rate at which the rest of my body got stronger.

Though before I had to take a break from deadlifting I found grip was slightly less of an issue if I let go of the bar and reset between reps.

My gym have finally bought a cushion-strap-thing for the barbell on the squat rack. It's amazing how much easier squats are when you don't have a heavy bar digging into you. Will be taking it for a spin for the first time tonight!

Had a great chest session last night. Declines bench, flat flyes and the incline bench. Finished the workout off with some pull-ups (5 and then 3 on the parallel bar) and then 5 negative pullups (wide grip).

I was comparing my body in the mirror to some photos I took a couple months ago. Can notice a big difference in my shoulders and arms. My chest seems to be roughly the same (although it's stronger) and legs are much better. Definitely lost a wee bit of weight around the waist too. Will get the comparison photos up soon.

I was thinking about getting a pad for my oly too, want to do good mornings, and they look like they'd be bad without protection.

I had a maddddd session on tuesday night

KB double handed swing 20kg 10 / 12

Rotational row TRX bodyweight 10 / 12

Vipr Clean and press 26kg 10 / 12

Vipr Needle Thread 16kg 10 / 12

TRX reverse lunge and row BW 10 / 12

KB alternate hand swing 16kg 10 / 12

Vipr Squat up & chop 12kg L 10 / R 10

Vipr Lunge & sweep 16kg L 10 / R 10

Lat pulldown 35kg x 10 / 40kg x 5 / 45kg x 3

Bicep pulldown 35kg x 10 / 40kg x 5 / 45kg x 3

Also 1hr yoga class

Good job on the squatting.

Before I knackered my back I found that it was grip holding my deadlift back, curse my small hands. I reckon I could have lifted quite a bit more than the 110-120kg I usually stalled at if only I could have held on to the bar.

I was detmined not to resort to straps and I've never liked pulling with a mixed grip as I tended to twist, so I always lifted double overhand. I found my grip did improve over time from just the deadlifting itself, just not at the same rate at which the rest of my body got stronger.

Though before I had to take a break from deadlifting I found grip was slightly less of an issue if I let go of the bar and reset between reps.

Thanks, dude.

I use mixed grip as I found I could lift more/it was less strain on the forearms than overhand. I may go back to overhand only and see how that works. Yeah, resetting between reps can help, especially with just mentally preparing for the next lift.

Definitely not going to resort to straps. The grip is the problem, so that's what needs improving. Using straps just goes around the problem rather than solving it.

My gym have finally bought a cushion-strap-thing for the barbell on the squat rack. It's amazing how much easier squats are when you don't have a heavy bar digging into you. Will be taking it for a spin for the first time tonight!

If you're feeling discomfort or pain in the neck when squatting, it could be because the bar isn't resting properly. It should be more on the shoulder blades/traps rather than the neck. More so the traps. I've never used any padding for it.

Grip is one thing ill never have problems with... I've got massive man hands. I've got more problems with callouses than anything else..

Good grip, eh? You'll make a man truly happy one day.

As you shake his hand when you sign some sort of business deal.

Unrelated: That feel when your arse aches from squats. Getting up from a chair/toilet seat is the hardest activity of the day.

I've signed up for some experiments regarding training for use in some master thesis. It'll run over 8 weeks where I'll have to attend this special training two times a week in a very well-known crossfit centre, Butcher's Garage. It'll either be 8 weeks of weightlifting with squats, deadlifts and cleans at 1RM most of the time, or it'll be 8 weeks of hard leg-based crossfit training. They want to know wether traditional strength training or hard crossfit training would help athletes perform better. I'm really excited about it, it sounds really good so far. Before and after the 8 weeks we'll go through a lot of physical tests which sound interesting to at least get the results from. And furthermore, I get a small amount of money for it! What's not to like? Oh, the downside. Yeah. The training is on Wednesdays at 9 PM and on Fridays at 7 PM. I suspect that the Wednesday one is going to interfere with my sleep but as I only have to write my master thesis now for the next six months it's not really that much of a deal.

Regarding grip, I don't really think it's my grip that holds my deadlift at 125 kg. I think lots of pull-ups, rowing and lots of deadlifting has really improved my grip strength.

Edited by MindFreak