NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

Weight Loss and Fitness 2013

I can OHP 50kg, but I doubt I could even OHS 40kg. Its a good workout for stabilising, lots of back/shoulder/arm work keeping it all steady. The limitations are in what you can keep steady as opposed to what you can squat!

Back/front squats for legs without a doubt.

I can OHP 50kg, but I doubt I could even OHS 40kg. Its a good workout for stabilising, lots of back/shoulder/arm work keeping it all steady. The limitations are in what you can keep steady as opposed to what you can squat!

Back/front squats for legs without a doubt.

Yeah, I agree with that. For me, I use the squat to work the legs and to batter them in order for them to grow. If I didn't feel I was really pushing the legs, I'd probably give that up.

I joined the 100kg club with my bench press today. I am pleased.

My knee is still injured. Reckon it will be another couple weeks before I'll ease into deadlifting again.

What a man. I'm languishing down at 65kg. Give me a few weeks...

Been doing 100 sit ups a day and dieting for a couple of weeks and notice no change, are there better excercises i should do instead ?

I am on a 1100 cal a day diet, i am taking protien phd diet whey, 4 scoops a day which is about 400 calories,

i do an hours training every day , either gym cycling, rowing or basketball. i am also tryng to do some weights but nothing major

i also have cut out evening snacks after 9 pm

but i have only lost 4 pounds in 2 weeks :(

Edited by yesteryeargames

Been doing 100 sit ups a day and dieting for a couple of weeks and notice no change, are there better excercises i should do instead ?

I am on a 1100 cal a day diet, i am taking protien phd diet whey, 4 scoops a day which is about 400 calories,

i do an hours training every day , either gym cycling, rowing or basketball. i am also tryng to do some weights but nothing major

Try eating.

My knee is still injured. Reckon it will be another couple weeks before I'll ease into deadlifting again.

Fuuuuck. I'm going to go cry in a corner now and weep at my progress. Good going, dude. :D

So, 1100 calories minus the 400 calories of protein shake makes up...700 calories. That's going to last you an entire day. You're going to do more harm than good by sticking to that.

100 sit ups a day isn't going to make you suddenly have abs. Take those ab exercises and spend that time hitting the weights and eating something. What are your goals, to lose fat? Also, how intense/how long are you going for with the cycling and rowing?

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

Haven't we had this discussion with Yesteryear before??

Sit-ups suck! Push-ups, planck, squats.

Also, Yesteryear, read the article I provided a link to above.

Edited by MindFreak

Right, I need to think better about my diet if I plan to actually increase anything. Looking around at vegetarian body building recommendations and come up with trying to work meals around these. Anyone got any websites they recommend for recipe/diet ideas?

To be fair I think at somepoint we've all thought situps were the best way to lose belly fat, it's just one of those things everybody thinks is true, but at least you did something.

I take it you want to lose weight? I think you do need to be patient, weight loss does take time, just as weight gain does. Plus 4 pounds in 2 weeks isn't actually that bad, I know some weight conscious people who would love to loose 4 pounds every two weeks.

Here's what I would do. If you regularly play sports as you said, then I wouldn't do any cardi like running on top of it. I'd strength train, if you don't have access to weights, don't worry, you can make good gains with your bodyweight at first, push ups, planks and "prison squats". Also pull ups if you have somewhere to do them. Lunges are good too. And Yoga. There's loads you could do without weights. Though you could build a sandbag on the cheap, again loads to do with that. (Really if all you wanted to do was lose weight you could probably just walk, but that's boring.)

All the above will burn calories and make you stronger. Strength training is good for your hormones, assuming you're a bloke increasing your testosterone will help facilitate building muscle and losing fat.

My suggestion is eat normally, your calorie intake sounds very low, you actually only need a slight calorie deficit to lose weight, and slow and steady wins the race. You sound like you could be under eating by around a thousand calories and too big a calorie deficit can be counter productive.

You can probably eat more but eat smarter, eat fewer carbs as the day goes on, a big plate of pasta might sound healthy, but not right before bed where you cant burn off any of that energy. Speaking of which, 9pm sounds a little late to still be eating if you're looking to lose weight, maybe try 7pm as a cut off point instead. Also reduce/cut out the crap calories that will do nothing for you, like beer, fizzy drinks, chocolate, sweets etc. Drink lots of water, and get enough sleep too.

Good luck.

It doesn't matter when one eats. You could eat your entire daily ration in one sitting and still not gain weight. It only matters what you eat. There are other reasons as to not eating before bedtime, and it's 'better' to eat unhealthily in the morning or early in the day as you can then actively do something against those extra calories. But weight loss wise, it does not matter if you go to bed right after supper as long as your total calorie income is less than your expense.

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1896439_1896359_1896345,00.html

That said, calorie counting is so 2011... It normally (until you are not hungry anymore and 6 times a day, three of those six are major meals), healthily, exercise varied both with and without weights.

It doesn't matter when one eats. You could eat your entire daily ration in one sitting and still not gain weight. It only matters what you eat. There are other reasons as to not eating before bedtime, and it's 'better' to eat unhealthily in the morning or early in the day as you can then actively do something against those extra calories. But weight loss wise, it does not matter if you go to bed right after supper as long as your total calorie income is less than your expense.

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1896439_1896359_1896345,00.html

That said, calorie counting is so 2011... It normally (until you are not hungry anymore and 6 times a day, three of those six are major meals), healthily, exercise varied both with and without weights.

Sure but if you eat right before bed the assumption is you've earned those calories in advance.

Where I was going with the big plate of pasta before bed idea, was if you over-do your last meal (no matter how "healthy" it may seem) and end up with a calorie surplus for the day, then you don't leave much time to correct it and create a calorie deficit through activity before bed.

Though I suppose actually you could eat a little more some days and eat a little less other days and still maintain a calorie deficit overall.

http://www.dangerouslyhardcore.com/5343/why-women-should-not-run/

An interesting read. But I would have liked him to list some things that could be done instead, except just mentioning HIIT somewhere. Also, I would like to see steady-state cardio at 90-95 % MHR (he only says ≥65 % MHR).

I've heard the same said of jogging for men, where as sprinting is actually beneficial. I remember Martin Rooney being a very anti steady state cardio guy.

As it happens there was something about jogging in a new T-Nation article today.

What we usually fail to consider however, is the cost.

One example of this that especially pertains to "general" fitness folks is aerobic exercise, which often assumes the form of jogging. As compared to a number of possible alternatives (such as lying on the couch eating Cheese Doodles, for example), jogging is "good."

Meaning, it is at least a form of movement, and it does after all burn calories, improve certain measures of cardiovascular fitness, and for some at least, improves what we might call "well-being."

An argument can also be mounted that jogging requires very little in the way of skill, equipment, or facilities.

The costs of jogging however, are considerable, and often not appreciated or adequately considered:

Jogging reduces or at least interferes with efforts to increase lean body mass, strength, and power. In other words, it has demonstrably feminizing effects.

Jogging, like all aerobic activities, is by definition, time consuming. Unlike resistance training, the only way to create progressive overload with jogging is to do more of it.

Dovetailing with the previous point, one serious downside to jogging is that the more you do it, the better you get at it, which in turn reduces the supposed benefits of the activity, requiring you to do more of it to compensate for the reduction in benefit. In other words, the more you do it, the less it does for you.

Jogging, particularly for those who tend to be drawn to it (overweight people), tends to have negative orthopedic consequences, especially for lower-body joints.

For many people, jogging is inherently unpleasant and viewed as an "unnecessary evil" (typically for the purpose of "losing weight.")

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/3_questions_for_better_workouts

@yesteryeargames

4 pounds in 2 weeks is pretty much pushing your body to the limit. You can't lose much quicker than that.

Eat more, it's not healthy eating that little.

In an unrelated note, Ine killed me in squash today. Leg day yesterday and squash today...I just got up to go to the bathroom and I'm walking like fucking C3PO.

Kill me.

In an unrelated note, Ine killed me in squash today. Leg day yesterday and squash today...I just got up to go to the bathroom and I'm walking like fucking C3PO.

Kill me.

Yes! Finally another victory! Though to be honest they were very close games. But I am gonna try to beat you again next time (and fail probably)! =P

Thanks for the replies guys , I would say I'm about 2-3 stone overweight , I'm 6.2 18 stone and a well built guy , so maybe 16 stone would be ok .

When I play basketball it's full on training as I play for a team, and rowing I race so it's always very Intense .

My workout is as follows

Monday 2 hours gym mix of cardio and weights

Tuesday 2 hours basketball

Wednesday 1 hour basketball 1 hour gym

Thursday 1 hour gym just on treadmill ect. Then 1 hour solid rowing

Friday 2 hours gym mix of cardio and weights

Saturday 1 hour gym 1 hour cycling or other things

Sunday 1 hour solid rowing And afternoon cycling again

I also try and do some sit ups , now started a range of crunches which burn like hell bit seem to be better than sit-ups, each day .

I do have protein shake for break fast , 200 calories then lunch around 200 calories , dinner 600 calories , another protein and other 200 , maybe a snack of some fruit grapes or an apple as an evening snack at 9 pm but after that I eat nothing at all !

I am starting to feel less motivated as I'm not seeing much of a drop in weight for a week , I have been stuck at 17st 11 .

I just don't get it eating more to loose weight ? The 1100 or so I eat a day is very healthy stuff I'm a vegetarian, no cheese pasta or anything like that , just qourn veggie range lots or fresh veggies , fruit , low cal bread which is 50 calories a slice , Low fat almond milk , that's about it

I have noticed an improvement in my speed running and I set new PBs on the rowing machines so my fitness is up on the up . But as for actual weight loss very poor so far.

Edited by yesteryeargames

I'm no expert, but aren't you supposed to have a rest some time? All that exercise and no time for the muscles to recover is going to be bad.

The eating stuff is all to do with your body knowing enough calories will come in so it doesn't hold onto fat. Or something to that effect.

Monday 2 hours gym mix of cardio and weights

Tuesday 2 hours basketball

Wednesday 1 hour basketball 1 hour gym

Thursday 1 hour gym just on treadmill ect. Then 1 hour solid rowing

Friday 2 hours gym mix of cardio and weights

Saturday 1 hour gym 1 hour cycling or other things

Sunday 1 hour solid rowing And afternoon cycling again

That's way too much exercise, you need to rest. Strength (and thereby muscle) isn't build from training, it's build from resting between training. Muscle burn calories throughout the day. You need to build some muscle, so resting is really advisable.

(And how the fuck can you stand 1 hour of rowing? Short and intense; do 5 min full on, take a rest, then 5 min again. I do about 1300 m when rowing for 5 min so go for something around that; if you can take much more rowing after this, there is something wrong!)

Seriously, with an intake of only 1100 kcal I'm amazed that you have energy for exercising that much.

I just don't get it eating more to loose weight ? The 1100 or so I eat a day is very healthy stuff I'm a vegetarian, no cheese pasta or anything like that , just qourn veggie range lots or fresh veggies , fruit , low cal bread which is 50 calories a slice , Low fat almond milk , that's about it

I have noticed an improvement in my speed running and I set new PBs on the rowing machines so my fitness is up on the up . But as for actual weight loss very poor so far.

As Ramar says, your body needs the energy to build muscle. If it doesn't get enough energy, it will do everything it can in order to hold on to fat (which is good energy to the body) and it will spend less energy trying to build muscle mass (which is what burns calories as I said above). So you can eat as healthily as you can and still gain body fat and loose muscle.

I'm not saying that you should run amok on food, just eat more of the same, add some nuts (for protein), (ordinary, medium fat) milk, eggs, and fish (if you allow yourself this as a vegetarian - there seem to be some sort of confusing on this part). Your weight loss won't instantly be as great as 4 pounds in two weeks (which is too much to maintain, you'll gain it again fast, about 1 pound a week is the advice for consistent weight loss) but in the long run, it's better. Also, remember that muscle weighs more than fat so even though the weight stays the same, the composition of the body may have changed.

Edited by MindFreak

Also, remember that muscle weighs more than fat so even though the weight stays the same, the composition of the body may have changed.

This is important to note.

Go by bodyfat percentage rather than weight or BMI. If you bodyfat is between 12-18% you're good and healthy.

I pay £11 a month and had no sign up fee. It's great on the weekends as the weights section is fairly empty but after work it's a nightmare sometimes. Often have to wait 30-40 minutes to get the squat machine :/

I do feel stronger so maybe i have built a little bit of muscle since i started,

1 hour rowing is out on the sea so no option to stop :p

On the rowing machines in the gym i usually do 15 minutes my record in that time is 4129 meters, i hate those machines but i have to do them as i race boats and im entering the world gig rowing championships next weekend.

With all the training im doing i dont ever feel tired, this is a problem as i cant get a full nights sleep since starting the diet.

I do feel stronger so maybe i have built a little bit of muscle since i started,

1 hour rowing is out on the sea so no option to stop :p

On the rowing machines in the gym i usually do 15 minutes my record in that time is 4129 meters, i hate those machines but i have to do them as i race boats and im entering the world gig rowing championships next weekend.

With all the training im doing i dont ever feel tired, this is a problem as i cant get a full nights sleep since starting the diet.

You won't have built a great deal muscle on a deficit that huge. You need a surplus of some sort in order to build muscle. If anything, you'll have lost muscle on a diet like that. Just like @MindFreak mentioned earlier. It'll affect your strength in the long run, too. No food = no energy = not giving your maximum during your workouts = not fulfilling your potential. Food is everything.

Post your diet in here and we'll have a look to see if we can help you out. I'm cutting at the moment and am aiming for around 1800 a day. Only been on it a few days, so I'm not going to have lost an awful lot.

Also, fuck the sit-ups and spend more time on the weights. You're going to need a rest day in there. That's going to hold you back, too. Put in a rest day on the Saturday, maybe. Use that day to recover and then get recharged for the next day. I'd be tempted to put 2 rest days in there.

I'm cutting too. Relatively lax about it though as I like eating pizza and drinking beer at the weekend.

Probably so around 1800-2000 calories a day. Typically get 300 from 2 protein shakes (PHD diet whey is awesome. 35g protein and only 200 kcals) 200 from 2 chocolate digestives. Then a lunch of about 500 and the rest at dinner.

Will quite often go over 2000 but that's ok as I'm burning a lot. My TDEE conservative estimate is 2600 so that's still a deficit of at least 500 a day.

I keep on thinking just how easy it would be to bulk up. Smash back 3500 calories a day, loads of protein and hit the weights. Did it a bit last summer and noticed huge gains.