N-Europe

Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Retro_Link

Im thinking of getting this seeing its quite cheap. Im crap at fighting games though. Is this easy to master or am i going to have to rememer 30 button combos in order to pull off a decent move?
I wouldn't say it's easy to master (no fighting game is really) but it's nowhere near as complicated as some. The Fight Lab training mode also does a fantastic job of teaching you the ropes. icon14.gif

How do you find using the gamepad? I play all my fighting games with an arcade stick on 360 but dont really wanna get a stick for the Wii U yet until there are some more fighting games on the horizon. As someone who tends to really dislike playing fighting games without an arcade stick would you say I should just wait for now?
Pretty good actually. I also prefer to play fighters with an arcade stick, but the D-Pad on the Wii U GamePad is great, it's a nice size and super responsive.

Considering the price this game is at right now, I wouldn't suggest waiting just to play it with an arcade stick. I'd say give it a go, see how you get on with the GamePad and if it doesn't play right for you, then just keep it in your collection until you get a stick.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am glad to hear about the Wii U pad :) Tekken plays like it was designed for the Dual Shock, so I was worried that the Wii U's D-Pad might not be as accurate (though this is stemming more from me thinking of Nintendo D-Pads as too small because of the Gamecube :heh:)

Speaking of the Dual Shock, @RedShell, I have a question: The four shoulder buttons of the DualShock allowed for 4 shortcuts (like, L1 could be assigned to Left Punch+Right Punch). With the Wii U, I know the touch screen allows for similar shortcuts, but can the shoulder buttons also do it?

Speaking of the Dual Shock, RedShell, I have a question: The four shoulder buttons of the DualShock allowed for 4 shortcuts (like, L1 could be assigned to Left Punch+Right Punch). With the Wii U, I know the touch screen allows for similar shortcuts, but can the shoulder buttons also do it?
Yeah, holding the the L Button shifts all 4 touch screen shortcuts to the face buttons with the default controls.

Not sure if you can customize it to use all of the shoulder buttons instead though. :hmm:

Yeah, holding the the L Button shifts all 4 touch screen shortcuts to the face buttons with the default controls.

Not sure if you can customize it to use all of the shoulder buttons instead though. :hmm:

Wait, I don't think I'm understanding you right, here. Holding L simply shifts what the touch screen shortcuts are? You can't assign a shortcut directly to L, for example?

Wait, I don't think I'm understanding you right, here. Holding L simply shifts what the touch screen shortcuts are? You can't assign a shortcut directly to L, for example?
What I mean is when you hold down L, the 4 shortcuts that are on the touch screen become available on the 4 face buttons of the GamePad instead (for the duration that you hold down the L Button).

Here's how the GamePad screen looks normally:

fqfXF.jpg

And here's what happens when you hold down L:

2Pi1e.jpg

The same 4 shortcuts are assigned to Y, X, B and A.

I took a look inside the controller customisation options for you as well, unfortunately though it doesn't seem like you can assign shortcuts directly to the trigger Buttons. You can however, customise 'em to be certain input combinations.

The default control setup:

l3ccM.jpg

Customised:

j7SBu.jpg

Hope that helps.

: peace:

Ah, yes, the input combinations was what I meant by "shortcuts". I wasn't aware that the touch screen ones corresponded to actual moves.

And if the Left Joystick can be assigned to "Shift", I can see things working out for me (L for LP+RP, R for LK+RK, Right Joystick for the Tag Button, and the shortcuts go to grabs and/or extra moves that require other combinations).

Shame that the Wii U has no double shoulder buttons, though, as that would be the ideal (especially since I play King, and his grapple combos can't be solved with shortcuts).

Still, thank you very, very much : peace: As soon as I get a Wii U (eventually :heh:) this is the first game I'm getting, for sure.

Still, thank you very, very much : peace: As soon as I get a Wii U (eventually :heh:) this is the first game I'm getting, for sure.
No probs. :)

Let me know when you get it, we'll have some fights. :grin:

I just uploaded a couple of vids to my YouTube...

The compression messes 'em up pretty bad though, so be sure to select 720p. These obviously aren't running at 60fps either, thanks to YouTube.

Custom "N-E" Mokujin:

Online fight + bonus upskirt action: :heh:

: peace:

Game came today from Shopto. Ive only had chance to have a mess about on it for about 10 mins. I had a quick go on ghost mode. There seems to be a load of modes to get into and the online stuff seems really good although ive not tried anything yet.

I did win 2 matches in ghost mode though with just using basically punch, kick and the touch combo controls. I think im going to have to spend a lot of time in practice trying to get my head around it.

Although thanks for your comments so far @RedShell if it wasnt for those i wouldnt have got the game as i dont normally pick fighters up. Do you tend to play mostly offline or online?

Game came today from Shopto. Ive only had chance to have a mess about on it for about 10 mins. I had a quick go on ghost mode. There seems to be a load of modes to get into and the online stuff seems really good although ive not tried anything yet.
Yeah, there's a lot of content in the game. Even just unlocking all of the different character endings can take quite a while. :o

Do you tend to play mostly offline or online?
It'll end up being 50/50 I reckon. I started out playing offline, getting to grips with the controls, unlocking stuff, etc... But now I'm really getting into the online mode too, and soon will probably play that exclusively (once I've unlocked everything that I want/can offline).

By the way, Ghost Mode is great for unlocking customization items and increasing your character rank quickly. ;) It can also be a more efficient way of unlocking character endings too, as when you fight high ranked opponents (shown by their character icons being inside a golden frame), if you win, you unlock the lead character's ending!

I've unlocked several in that way, handy if you don't like certain characters and don't want to play through Arcade Mode to unlock their ending.

By the way, Ghost Mode is great for unlocking customization items and increasing your character rank quickly. ;) It can also be a more efficient way of unlocking character endings too, as when you fight high ranked opponents (shown by their character icons being inside a golden frame), if you win, you unlock the lead character's ending!

I've unlocked several in that way, handy if you don't like certain characters and don't want to play through Arcade Mode to unlock their ending.

Another quick way to get an ending is play Tag Team mode in story and pick your second character as the person who you usually main and the first character as the person you want the ending with. Just tag straight away and pummel the enemy with your main dude.

I also enjoyed ghost mode though, it came in handy getting loads of endings but eventually it was quicker to get then through story mode rather than waiting for the opponent to randomly appear. It is a nice way to rack up the cash though. :D

@Hero\-of\-Time, did you ever play this game online? You're not showing up on the ranking list when I set the filter to friends. :hmm:

In the original Tekken Tag I remember you could start a match with your second character by holding down the tag button during the loading screen. Not sure if they implemented this in the sequel though.
Tested that last night, it does indeed work on this version too.

Cheers. icon14.gif

Well this evening is the first time ive had a proper go at the game. I conpleted the arcade mode without being beaten. I then felt a bit confident and had a go online. Decided against a ranking match so did the other one. Ive had two matches and were destroyed on both. I didnt stand a chance. Im only a beginner!

Well this evening is the first time ive had a proper go at the game. I conpleted the arcade mode without being beaten. I then felt a bit confident and had a go online. Decided against a ranking match so did the other one. Ive had two matches and were destroyed on both. I didnt stand a chance. Im only a beginner!

To be fair ive been playing Tekken since the original game came out in arcades and i still get my ass kicked online. Im the best player out of all my friends but the level of play online is way beyond what i can do.

Whoa, there sure are a lot of ranks in this game! :o

My main team of Marshall Law & Lili are now at 21st Dan: Byakko and 20th Dan: Genbu respectively (offline, obviously :hehe: They're both at 3rd Dan online).

Loving the little logos for each rank:

lE8xT.png1RxB9.png

Was curious as to how many there are though, so took a look online...

It goes all the way up to 100th Dan: True Tekken God!!

:eek:

oYu2W.png

...Never gonna get there.

I dread to think how many hours it must take to reach that rank. :heh:

All the rank logos can be found here.

To be fair ive been playing Tekken since the original game came out in arcades and i still get my ass kicked online. Im the best player out of all my friends but the level of play online is way beyond what i can do.
It's amazing how random online fights can be, one minute you can be absolutely destroying someone, the next, getting completely obliterated without even landing a hit on your opponent! :laughing:

It's great for variety though, and I for one love coming up against really skilful players online. You can learn quite a bit from watching replays of your defeats. ;)

I've almost unlocked all of the character endings/customizations now, just a few more to go. Approaching 30 hours played, but I reckon I'll be getting a lot more out of this game in the future with online (and occasional local) multiplayer.

A great game to have in the collection anyway. :)

I noticed something strange while playing today though, during a couple of fights I would suddenly hear old-school/arcade style sound effects/music. Unless it's just me going crazy. :heh:

Anyone else had that happen on their game?

This game is hard. I cant even block properly. :-/
Not really sure how anyone could have trouble blocking, it's just holding the opposite direction on the D-Pad. ::shrug:

Have you done the Fight Lab? :blank:

I've had the game since launch and enjoyed some multiplayer, but couldn't get into it in single player. I just presumed you have to put so much effort into learning moves and such and I just didn't have the energy or desire for it anymore. Almost too complex for me.

But I played it yesterday in bed and I quite enjoyed myself playing it. So maybe I can get some fun out of it. Payed online and won, which was a surprise considering I'm crap and read earlier that day on here someone saying people online are HARD! I got lucky I guess with a midnight gimp!

This game is hard. I cant even block properly. :-/

This is odd... Like RedShell said, you just have to hold "back" (like so many other fighting games), and crouch+back to block low moves. Sidestepping also helps in avoiding many moves, too (though learning how to sidestep is slightly trickier).

I've had the game since launch and enjoyed some multiplayer, but couldn't get into it in single player. I just presumed you have to put so much effort into learning moves and such and I just didn't have the energy or desire for it anymore. Almost too complex for me.

The beauty of Tekken is that you can just learn as you go. No need to memorize or go look up moves until you stumble upon them, or genuinely wish to see other moves for your character(s).

The beauty of Tekken is that you can just learn as you go. No need to memorize or go look up moves until you stumble upon them, or genuinely wish to see other moves for your character(s).

But surely the joy of beat em ups is learning moves and combos and executing them? Button mashing is only fun for so long.

But surely the joy of beat em ups is learning moves and combos and executing them? Button mashing is only fun for so long.

All I'm saying is that you don't need to spend hours in Practice Mode, looking up every move or memorizing the juggles in order to do anything decent. Through button mashing you find a few moves that work for you, and you can use that as a starting point to learn the rest.

I feel like a lot of fighting games aren't intuitive like this, having combos that work simply because they do (like in the Vs. Capcom series). Here, a lot of combos can be done through intuition alone.

(Also, I'm more from the school of thought that thinks fighting games are more fun when you're playing mind games with the opponent)

I'm really disappointed how little the series has really evolved since Tekken 3, but I'm still thinking about buying this.

The only problem is that after you get to a certain level of proficiency, the game devolves into you looking for an opening to pull off a launch and then keep the opponent in the air with a 10+ move combo that shaves off more than 3/4 of their health bar. Success and failure can be predicted so early in a round that it sort of takes the fun out of the game. I still love it for it's accessibility though - few fighters have such a broad appeal with the general public, or are competitively playable without an arcade stick.