N-Europe

Rain (PSN)

Retro_Link

Yes yes yes yes yes. My interest in gaming is rapidly waning but this sort of thing staves of my apathy. Call me a sucker for uniqueness and minimalism. Games like Journey, Limbo, Flower, Sword & Sworcery and now Rain, (+ others of their ilk) while special in their own right, now just need an injection of difficulty and complexity that doesn't mar the illusion of freedom or beauty they so effortlessly create.

A meaty game without the recurrent failures in game design. A focus on art and challenge. Less shit writing.

Something like Dark Souls comes close this generation. You've got scale, beauty, complexity (in controls and navigation and choice), ambiguity (some cliches but it doesn't choke you with story), and individual quirks (online interaction). Take something like that but dial back the scale, remove the interface and HUD as much as possible, make it bloomin' arty, don't make an institution of failure/death, and bang - awesome game. Easy.

Have I described Shadow of the Colossus? Probably.

Can't we have more Team Ico's?

Reminds me a lot of Lost in Shadows for Wii (Though in reverse)

That game turned out to largely be a one trick pony sadly and I fear that this game may be more focused on attempting art for art's sake over exploring what is still largely an untapped game mechanic, so I can only be cautiously optimistic about this one.

Please prove my suspicions wrong SCEJ!

Regardless though, props to Sony for being the most daring publisher out there right now. They may not necessarily be putting gameplay first, but at least they're willing to give originality a chance!

Edited by Dcubed

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Has an old school Resident Evil vibe about it don't you think?... the camera angles, the way your character moves about the world, the music, the monsters, the atmosphere... but brought into the modern era so it's playable and looks great! :p

Looking forward to this one!