N-Europe

Sleeping Dogs

Happenstance

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
How would you compare this to other GTA-type games? More like Vice City and San Andreas, or more like GTA IV?

I got this for Christmas and played it / completed it in 3 days (3, 8 hour sessions)

Have to say that it really falls in the middle of the PS2 GTA's and GTA:IV.

The storyline side of it, try's to be fairly serious, but does have some amusing scenes, 1 liners. And there are some very fun missions too, They aren't as repetitive as "Go Kill Frank, then come back, Go Kill Jack, then come back!"

It tries to make it feel like you're watching a film with the whole under cover cop that tries to not get to involved with the suspects, but does kind of plot.

It's serious when It has to be, like when a bombshell in the storyline develops.

The mini games are pretty fun too. Karaoke if a laugh (you don't actually sing personally :p )

And there is alot to keep you distracted if you find yourself a little tired of the storyline...

Like in one of my sittings, I played the story, then for an hour or 2 just went around doing 'favors' which are the side missions which are similar to Red Dead 's side quests.

One thing that I wasn't keen on though was some of the fights you are overwhelmingly out numbered. You'll be trying to counter one person attacking, so pressing the relevant button, but another guy next to you will attack you thus messing your counter and you taking damage.

I found on one mission I had to run around to try and disperse the crowd, then attempt to pick people off 1 on 1. But it didn't work.

A great tactic I found with outdoor fights was get in a car and just run people over (if car was available) again another fight later on was by a car park. And there were too many enemies to really give me a chance, so broke into a car, tuned to 'Road Runner Records Radio Station' (A bit of metal ;) ) and ran them over, reversed into them, etc etc...

It's relatively cheap now, so If you do see it, I'd recommend picking it up.

Agree with everything. I end up just running over all the people when I'm doing the drug busts.

If you're outnumbered you can do the running take down move and that gives you a 1 on 1 briefly.

Still playing the game and really enjoying it!

Yeah I took that approach a few times too, pick off the regular guys like that (or by run over technique) and leave the bigger guys that try to grab you, or the guys you can't grapple with till last, so you can just focus on them completely.

Juat wait till you get the ultimate counter move! It's glorious! :D

What level do you need to reach for this?

Indeed it is. The final few missions felt really epic.

What's your take on the girlfriend(s) in this game, Like ... do you like that you only have to have 1 date to unlock an ability but never see them again, or would you rather the GTA style of calling them up when ever or them calling you. Not to the extent of Roman calling you every 30 seconds to go bowling, but time to time...

Same with the friends, like Jackie, maybe calling him up or him calling once in a while to play Poker now the main story is over wouldn't be a bad thing.

Also... I loved the names of the characters. Two Chins Tsao, Old Salty Crab, Uncle Po, Big Smile Lee

Initially I was impressed with how the girlfriends actually had a personality in this game, but then they all got swallowed up by the earth and I never saw them again after our first date, so that was pretty lame.

Though I still prefer them over the needy girlfriends in Grand Theft Auto 4 who have all the personality of a baked potato and won't stop calling you.

Indeed it is. The final few missions felt really epic.

What's your take on the girlfriend(s) in this game, Like ... do you like that you only have to have 1 date to unlock an ability but never see them again, or would you rather the GTA style of calling them up when ever or them calling you. Not to the extent of Roman calling you every 30 seconds to go bowling, but time to time...

Same with the friends, like Jackie, maybe calling him up or him calling once in a while to play Poker now the main story is over wouldn't be a bad thing.

Also... I loved the names of the characters. Two Chins Tsao, Old Salty Crab, Uncle Po, Big Smile Lee

Er dude, might need to take a raincheck on playing poker with Jackie!

I liked the girlfriends as their missions were varied and funny with the girls having actual character, however like you guys I thought it was a bit naff having only one mission each for nearly all of them.

Really hope there is a SD2

• 9 months later...

A New Game in the Sleeping Dogs Universe is Coming

United Front Games, the developer of the open-world hit Sleeping Dogs, has shed some light on what they've been brewing in development.

In a post on its website, the studio announced that they're making a new game called Triad Wars, based in the Sleeping Dogs universe. Details for the title is to be expected in 2014. The game will be something that UFG "wanted to do for ages" and the team will work once again with Square Enix.

Here's the post in full:

Hi everyone! We’ve been a bit tight-lipped about our current projects over here at UFG, but we’re finally able to give you a little something.

So, we’re making a new game! We can’t say a lot about it right now, but you might have read about a trademark registration for something called Triad Wars? Well, we’re super-excited that it’s another game based in the Sleeping Dogs universe, it’s something we’ve wanted to do for ages, and we’re very happy to be working with Square Enix again… but that’s all we can give you for the time being – we’ll have more information about what the game’s going to be in 2014.

As always, we love to hear your thoughts and appreciate your shared interest in the games we make – although to reiterate, we really can’t share any more details until 2014 (despite your best efforts to get them, you sneaky people!)

Love,

UFG

I just hope this is a next-gen game and not something for mobile.

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/63011/a-new-game-in-the-sleeping-dogs-universe-is-coming