NEurope
gaggle64

Watch Dogs

Gang hideouts I find pretty straightforward if you just take your time and go in stealthily. Using a silenced pistol obviously a big help. Criminal convoys are fun but I don't feel the need to 100% them. The thing I'm having most trouble with are the timed ctOS hacks. The countdown timer stresses me out (obviously by design) but having to retry most a couple of times is frustrating.

Finished the second act the other day. Really enjoyed it. The assault on Iraq's compound was good fun although the enforcer at the very end was a nightmare. Ended up planting about a dozen IEDs to kill him. I get the impression a quick pistol headshot will become less and less viable from here on out.

I did the Missing Persons and Human Trafficking final missions, they were a little disappointing. Could have done more with them, especially with the former.

Still loving it but anxious to finish now and get started on Tearaway then Uncharted

After what felt like 60+ hours with the game I've finally finished the campaign and put it down. Overall, really really loved it. Now I'm sure that's just my inexperience with the genre talking, but I thought the storyline was decent, the characters interesting, the hacking and action great fun, all tied together with some lovely visuals. The final missions were a lot more epic than I was expecting, particularly the final one. The presentation was superb overall.

Out of curiosity, how similar is this to GTA?

Can't wait for Watch Dogs 2! But now I want to play something as far removed from an openworld game as possible!! Looks like Tearaway Unfolded is next... :)

After what felt like 60+ hours with the game I've finally finished the campaign and put it down. Overall, really really loved it. Now I'm sure that's just my inexperience with the genre talking, but I thought the storyline was decent, the characters interesting, the hacking and action great fun, all tied together with some lovely visuals. The final missions were a lot more epic than I was expecting, particularly the final one. The presentation was superb overall.

Out of curiosity, how similar is this to GTA?

Can't wait for Watch Dogs 2! But now I want to play something as far removed from an openworld game as possible!! Looks like Tearaway Unfolded is next... :)

I'm happy that you enjoyed the game. I wasn't sure it would be your cup of tea at all. I'm a fan of it and had a great time with it. :D

GTA is similar in the sense that you have an open world and can do similar sorts of things. There's a bit more going on in it, though, I think. In GTAV, you have multiple characters that you switch to, each with intertwining stories. You can do side missions and the online part is probably more fleshed out than WatchDog's, although I haven't really tried it yet.

It's got a very particular sense of humour, though. It's very American, that's all that I can say. A bit dark at times, quite a lot of "gangster-speak" (as you'd expect) and it's over the top. But, I've also had a lot of fun with it. Still plugging away with it. :D

I'm struggling to see how anyone could not have fun playing Watch Dogs to be honest, I get the feeling a lot of the complaints were based on it not meeting people's huge expectations. Regardless of the wonky storytelling and arguably poor protagonist, the moment to moment gameplay was great fun IMO.

Might check out GTA down the line, thanks for the comparison. Currently falling in love with Tearaway, again.

I'm struggling to see how anyone could not have fun playing Watch Dogs to be honest, I get the feeling a lot of the complaints were based on it not meeting people's huge expectations. Regardless of the wonky storytelling and arguably poor protagonist, the moment to moment gameplay was great fun IMO.

Might check out GTA down the line, thanks for the comparison. Currently falling in love with Tearaway, again.

I think it really depends on how you feel with open world gameplay. Some people love it, some get bored by it, whilst others find it overwhelming. I'm not sure how some people might find Watch Dogs after playing GTAV or a similar sort of game.

I agree though that the general gameplay and variation in this is pretty fun. The best part for me was how the online actually integrated with the main game. I loved just strolling around the city and then suddenly somebody was invading my game, or I was invading theirs. I really enjoyed how the online was implemented here and hope that more can be done with this in the future, if/when we ever get a sequel to it.

I'm glad I played Watchdogs before GTAV otherwise I'd have been sorely unimpressed. To me it feels a little like GTA-lite, which doesn't mean it's bad just got less going on. After playing GTAV, Watchdogs felt like a good, fun warm-up to the main event.

Having played other open world games Watch Dogs just doesn't cut it in comparison. The Creed games have far more interesting settings, GTA games ( yet to play GTAV but GAME are selling it for £32 at the moment...) have that cartoon violence aspect about them, Far Cry has better writing and again better settings. Even Sleeping Dogs ( a game that many didn't even play ) was far more interesting than Watch Dogs, especially the combat.

I just found the story boring and the world very bland.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

I honestly enjoyed Watch Dogs, i took it for what it was, and firmly believe that as and when Ubisoft make a 2nd game that it will have more to it. Think of Watch Dogs like the very first Assassin's Creed game.

I enjoyed this because it was different. I am tiring of AC a little because you are basically doing the same things most of the time, and bar Black Flag most of what you do feels unimportant (like looting treasure or doing small bounties. This had you hacking to do a variety of things and it felt pretty intuitive, like changing traffic lights or pulling up bollards as you drive, or taking control of cameras. I think because people were quite negative I went in with low expectations, and was pleasantly surprised.

Yeah, the novelty of it definitely kept me going. That and, as I mentioned previously, the multiple approaches one could take to a problem given the different options - felt it achieved more than I might have expected from the early game stuff. I might try going back to it again next week or so - just feel like I've got so much to play and not enough time!