NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dante

Injustice: Gods Among Us

575110_385932444792710_719479219_n.jpg

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment Announces Injustice: Gods Among Us

New Fighting Game Franchise from the Makers of Award-Winning Mortal Kombat Franchise Revealed

BURBANK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--What if our greatest heroes became our greatest threat? Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and DC Entertainment today announced Injustice: Gods Among Us, an all-new game in development by award-winning NetherRealm Studios, creators of the definitive fighting game franchise Mortal Kombat. The game is scheduled for release in 2013 for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and the Wii U™ system from Nintendo.

“Our team is excited to make a fighting game that is filled with fast-paced action, incredible story-telling and iconic DC Comics characters.”

Injustice: Gods Among Us debuts as a bold new fighting game franchise that introduces a deep, original story featuring a large cast of favorite DC Comics icons such as Batman, Harley Quinn, Solomon Grundy, Superman, The Flash, Wonder Woman and many others. Set in a world where the lines between good and evil are blurred, players will experience heroes and villains engaging in epic battles on a massive scale.

“With Injustice: Gods Among Us, we are creating an all-new franchise with incredible battles set in the DC Comics Universe,” said Martin Tremblay, President, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. “NetherRealm Studios is the extremely talented team behind the latest Mortal Kombat hit and it is developing a game unlike any other in the fighting genre.”

“We can’t wait to reveal Injustice: Gods Among Us because it will give our fans and gamers an epic experience as they battle like gods as their favorite DC Comics villains and heroes,” said Ed Boon, Creative Director, NetherRealm Studios. “Our team is excited to make a fighting game that is filled with fast-paced action, incredible story-telling and iconic DC Comics characters.”

For more information, visit http://www.injustice.com.

Gamespots Ed Boon interview

Edited by Cube

Kinda interested as I really enjoyed DC VS Mortal Kombat but I still have Mortal Kombat to beat.

Fuck yes. Although don't like flying Wonder Woman.

IGN Preview

Yesterday, news of Injustice: Gods Among Us broke. Basically, it's Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe without the Mortal Kombat. That is, it's a fighting game from Mortal Kombat co-creator Ed Boon and developer NetherRealm Studios pitting superheroes (Superman, Batman) and supervillains (Solomon Grundy, Harley Quinn) from the DC Universe against each other in knockdown, drag-out brawls.

I've seen Injustice: Gods Among Us and while it was nowhere near its 2013 release date, I'm not impressed. Yes, it's a cool trailer, but the fighting itself seems a few years behind the curve.

Last year's Mortal Kombat marked a return to greatness for the franchise and for NetherRealm -- the game corrected the problems of Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe. Bones exploded in grotesque x-rays, blood gushed, and the action looked fluid. The snippet of Injustice I saw did none of that and really looked like a step backward. Wonder Woman lifelessly rocked back and forth, heat vision didn't seem all that damning, and the few matches I saw seemed predictable.

See, each Injustice arena has two or three sections for fighters to transition between -- you can go from the main floor of the Batcave to the boat dock below or kick an opponent through a city building to a different part of town. But these didn't seem like spur of the moment events. You have to have a build up to it and then watch the animation play out as an elevator slowly rises and we see it shaking and hear sound effects. Similarly, there are objects in the environments that you can use against your opponent, but you have to be in the exact right spot to grab the car and slam it on the foe. It all seems stiff -- like you'd tell your friend "Ooo, come over here and let me do this move!" They seem like forgettable gimmicks you'll rarely really use; kind of like button-tapping "Free Fall Kombat" in Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe.

And then there are super moves. A lot of people got hung up on why Superman could be hurt by Batman in Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe, but as a comic fan it never bothered me. He was worn down by magic -- explained, move on. However, Superman's Injustice supermove has him throw the opponent into space, fly up and slam the bad guy or gal back to the arena. How is anyone supposed to contend with that? Of course, according to Boon, "We're obviously going to have a pretty elaborate story," so maybe I'll eat my words.

But perhaps I'm being too hard on Injustice -- this is the first time it's ever been seen, I didn't play it, and there are cool aspects to the game. For the starters, everyone's costume seems darker, making me think we're in a parallel world without justice -- Crime Syndicate style. Wonder Woman can switch between lasso attack and sword/shield stuff, Solomon Grundy yanks knives from his back for attacks, and even though I wasn't impressed with environmental moves, they do vary by character (Batman will slam your head into the car, Wonder Woman will slam the car onto you).

Still, Boon told me back in 2010, "While [Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe] performed well, it certainly created a hunger or a lust for a little bit more bloodshed and a little bit more of what Mortal Kombat has been notorious for." Although this isn't a Mortal Kombat game, it seems to me like it's going to leave people in the exact same spot. This is a T-rated fighter that looks a lot like Mortal Kombat, but it's lacking the brutality that makes that game standout.

But again, maybe Boon will make me eat my words.

"To be honest, it's going to have more blood than we had in there today," he said. "Our environments are going to be damaged, but the characters will also have damage on them as well. It's going to be a pretty brutal experience. Our goal is to push the envelope of what we can do."

Destructiod preview, sounds good.

http://www.destructoid.com/preview-injustice-gods-among-us-228407.phtml

Injustice: Gods Among Us is a fighting game that brings together the DC Universe characters for a beatdown festival that only world-class superheroes and villains could give us. Ed Boon himself showed it off to select press recently, and it was there where he said that he wanted to introduce new fighting game features that would move the genre forward.

He may have succeeded, and along with that created a virtual test ground to settle arguments that have been plaguing nerdkind for ages.

The first battle we saw had Superman going up against Solomon Grundy. Both looked to be a fair bit larger than your standard fighting game character, and the artwork for the characters and the stage leaned more toward photorealism than comics or animation. That's not to say that these guys took up too much screen space, but they definitely gave an impression of being bigger and badder, which actually works towards them being superheroes and villains.

Boon told us that one of the goals of Injustice was to make the stages as pivotal as the characters are. Superman and Grundy fought in the Batcave, where there were plenty of interactive points to change the balance of battle. Fighting actually causes damage to the backgrounds, and in this case some punches near containers for Batman's Batsuits caused them to break, releasing hand grenades that could be picked up by either fighter and used in battle. The far right side of the stage also featured a console with a large red button on it, and when a fighter is backed into this corner, the button gets pressed, sending missiles flying out to hit the other fighter. Consider yourself warned, corner trappers.

The stages in Injustice all have multiple tiers. In the Superman vs. Solomon Grundy battle, a punch from the Man of Steel sends Grundy down into the floor, through it and into a lower level of the Batcave. There were even more background objects to use in this section. For example, Grundy used a floating power generator to attack Superman, bashing it over his head. The assault continues with a super move: Grundy grabs Superman, smashes him to the ground, pulls out a gravestone from his chest, and hits him over the head.

Superman's comeback super move was quite a bit more exciting. His eyes turn angry red, and then he picks up Grundy and punches him into space, sending him flying through the clouds and into the stratosphere. The view pans out into space, where we see Grundy start to sink down towards Earth at high speed. The view follows as he crashes through the roof of the Batcave back into the stage, where Superman finishes him off.

The next demonstration, a fight between Batman and Wonder Woman, made the previous one seem tame. Batman has all his neat toys, like his grapple gun and Batarang, which he can throw forward or upward. Wonder Woman has two fighting states to make full use of her most popular equipment. Her lasso mode has her being more of a ranged fighter, but with her sword and shield she has some very SoulCalibur-ish, close-ranged moves.

In this stage, which was a wide open city street-style arena, Batman found himself backed into a corner where there just happened to be a car. He used that car to his advantage by taking Wonder Woman's head and bashing it into the car's body. Another option for him would have been to throw explosives into the car to blow up on his opponent. Wonder Woman, on the other hand, would have picked up the car to slam it over Batman's head.

For as good as the fighting was, the stage was really the highlight of the match. This city stage features three arenas: one street scene, another two blocks away on the top of a building, and the last in the reception area of a building. The fun lies in how you get to these areas of the stage, though.

We saw Batman kick Wonder Woman at an upward angle, sending her out of the stage's first area, up into the sky, through several floors of a nearby skyscraper, out the other end of that building, and onto the roof of another. The fight continued there for a bit until Batman turned really mad. He used his grappling hook to grab Wonder Woman and slam her down through some 30 stories of this building, and we watched on, laughing, as she continued to plummet down in this cross section view until she hit the ground floor, where the fight continued. To finish her off, Batman kicked her backwards, sending her back to the stage's first area, knocking her through other buildings' plumbing and pipes, with her knocking her head on several of them. Batman finally ends it by hanging her upside down with his grappling hook to kick her.

While what we saw of Injustice was fantastic (and hilarious), there are still plenty of questions to be answered. We've only seen four characters of the full roster (Harley Quinn and The Flash have also been announced), and we have next to nothing on story details. Boon did let on that the story will explain how, say, Superman could take a beating from Batman. We'll have to wait for that, though.

So far, Injustice looks to be right in line with what any fan of the Justice League would want in a fighting game. Through it, the timeless "who would win in a fight between X and X" questions can now be answered definitively. With a modified Mortal Kombat engine behind it, and its focus on ridiculous superhero-type super moves and crazy multi-tiered stages, Injustice: Gods Among Us could take fighting games to a new level. See what I did there?

I'll get a chance to get my hands on Injustice next week at E3. Stay tuned.

Although the IGN one is probably closer to the truth I can't help by think they're being ridiculously harsh about an early build of the game.

I'd love to see Aquaman in this. I reckon he'd look sick with the darker armour-clad twist going on. In fact, I'd love the roster of fighters to really reach beyond the usual suspects; Swamp Thing (and the Green), Animal Man (and the Red), Superboy, Batwoman and the like. I suspect it might just keep to the Justice League, though.

I gotta have Doomsday in this. Superman VS Doomsday in an epic brutal battle.

*drool*

OMG! I love Clark Kent opening for Superman! Also love the armoured look to everyone.

Hope to see Hawkman in this.

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/21204/injustice-gods-among-us-announces-cyborg-and-nightwing-will-join-its-fighter-roster

Injustice: Gods Among Us Announces Cyborg and Nightwing Will Join Its Fighter Roster

The opening night of Comic-Con featured a massive reveal for fans of fighting games and DC Comics.

The Verge reported that NetherRealm Studios' newest fighter Injustice: Gods Among Us revealed at Comic-Con that their iconic roster of DC Comics' heroes and villains will include Cyborg and Nightwing.

They also got to take both characters on a test fight. Nightwing is a "weapons-based" fighter who uses a staff to beat his enemies to a pulp. The most interesting part is that he can split the staff into two fighting sticks that change his fighting style from his speed and jumps to his special moves.

Cyborg, of course, focuses more on power than speed and can launch missiles and fire lasers at his enemies. One of his special moves can regenerate his health forcing his opponent to attack to reduce his health regeneration and his extra special move consists of punching his opponent in the face with a giant fist and blasting them with a large, screen-filling energy blast.

640OZ.jpg

rNhyE.jpg

54CTt.jpg

KSJEA.jpg

I keep forgetting about this game, so every time someone bumps this thread I think it's something new and interesting that I've never heard about before, and then I realize that it's that DC fighting game from the Mortal Kombat developer and I get disappointed all over again. :sad:

Looks awesome.

I'm going to nab me the collectors edition because I want the statue and the New 52 get up for Wonder Woman.

Seriously, where is Aquaman? I'm getting tired of your shit DC.

That was a nice video. Makes me want the game but I think I'll just wait for it to drop in price as I didn't really like the first videos. It looks like it will have some kind of story mode.

I recommend the comic if you're into that kind of thing. Issue #1 has been pretty crazy (or it's three mini-issues digitally).

Oh, didn't know about the comic. Looks interesting but it's a tad expensive for something that is read in 10 minutes. How many issues will be published?

I'm not sure. I suspect six issues.

If anyone is interested, you can grab the Green Arrow skin used in the (awesome) show Arrow on the Injustice site.

2427658-dlc_skin_super.jpg

Edited by Daft

The first two fights in the Battle Arena have happened. The Bane Batman one is especially lol-worthy.

So Bane got thrown down a large pit, crushed by a space ship then fell through a small sun and came out fine?

Because the Bat-mobile driving through an orbiting space station made complete sense.

:heh:

Because the Bat-mobile driving through an orbiting space station made complete sense.

:heh:

I was going to mention that, but I thought what I posted was ridiculous enough. Still, the cinematic replay mode of the game (I'm presuming that's what this is) looks good.

On another note: Have the designers ever looked at a design of Harley Quinn before? Arkham City did a extremely good version with her (her costume didn't look right in Asylum, but made some kind of sense with the setting) that was different, but still looked like Harley Quinn

Sign in to follow this