NEurope
bob

Tipping in USA?

Hi,

I'm going to New Orleans next month and i'm quite looking forward to it, until i realised that i would have to deal with the ridiculous process of tipping everyone and anyone i meet. Being British, i get very awkward over the process of tipping. Especially since the amount you pay isn't set before you start. I hate the idea that people might think i'm rude, but conversely, i don't want to overtip when i don't have to.

Has anyone had any experience with this? I've checked out a few websites, and they seem to suggest that you tip pretty much everyone you interact with during the day, even if it's just a dollar or two. Is this normal?

I'm going over for work, and so mostly everything i pay for i can put on expenses (which is good, since i really can't afford a trip to the USA right now if it wasn't). However, i realise it's difficult to put any tips on expenses, so i'm happy to just pay these with my own money. But i'm not sure how much money i'll need to take with me.....it seems as though i'm going to need pockets overflowing with dollar notes and $5's.

I'm in New Orleans for 8 days, so i though $500 dollars might be enough for spending money and tips. Is this too little?

Gaaaaaaaaaaah! I hate it!

I think it's supposed to be 10-20% but I got that from Curb Your Enthusiasm, so don't consider it a valid benchmark.

Also, when I went to Raleigh I don't think I tipped. I just had to hit the girls with my sexy RP accent and they went all gooey.

"oh, I love your accent!"

"well, you have beautiful hands."

"wow, my hands... Really? You think so? I mean they're my hands, so I oh... "

"hush your mouth, my colonial beauty, unless you wish me to stop your lips with a kiss?"

"I, uh, I ..." *melt*

Anyway, don't listen to me, I've not had my evening brandy yet. Tip what you feel is appropriate, or ask someone when you get there.

I found this for New Orleans

Hotel Chambermaid - $5 minimum a night (consider $7 to $9 a night)

Room Service Waiter - 15% of bill

Bellhop - $1.50 - $2.00 per bag

Desk Clerk - None unless special service is given during long stay, then $5.

Concierge - $5-%10 Average. More for special services or favors.

Restaurant Waiter or Waitress - 15% of bill. 20% If it is a 4 star+ restaurant or for large parties.

Headwaiter/Maitre d' - None unless special services are provided; then about $5.

Wine Steward - 15% of wine bill.

Bartender- 10-15% of bar bill.

Servers at counter - 15% of bill.

Coat Check Attendant - $1 for one or two coats.

Rest Room Attendant - $.50

Car Park Attendant - $1

Taxi Driver - 15% of fare, no less than $.25

Parking Garage Attendant - $1; if attendant helps with luggage/packages then $5 is customary.

Parking Attendant - $10 to $20 each. Tip generously if you care about your vehicle.

That is true, but that's the point i don't like about it. You're basically being asked to rate their service in front of them. If it was a secret tip, then i could get behind it, although then obviously no-one would pay anything...

So according to those prices, i'm probably going to paying around $20 in tips per day.....so thats a total of $160 over the week. Not too bad i suppose, but maybe i should take a bit more just in case?

I wouldn't worry about it too much. My experiences I only tip at restaurants and bars. Then I typically leave between 10-20% of the bill, but if it's exceptional service I just add a little extra that I can afford/care to part with.

On the very last night of the holiday I tend to unload all my change on the fortunate waiter/barstaff.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. My experiences I only tip at restaurants and bars. Then I typically leave between 10-20% of the bill, but if it's exceptional service I just add a little extra that I can afford/care to part with.

In some places, isn't a 20% tip the law?

I despise the concept that tipping is expected/mandatory. The fact many places over there pay their staff a pittance and then expect it to be made up in tips is disgusting.

Tipping should be a bonus that exists should the consumer believe that the service was exemplary. It should not be expected at all

They'll get nothing and like it. The restaurant should pay for their wages. Not like you tip the bus driver or anything.

They'll get nothing and like it. The restaurant should pay for their wages. Not like you tip the bus driver or anything.

In many places, if you fail to leave a tip, you will be chased down by the person until you do

Having "set prices" completely defeats the point of the concept of tipping. It's ridiculous.

It's true, when I went to Florida they had little cards in the middle of the table telling you that "an appropriate tip" was around 20% of the bill.

Sadly I wasn't old enough at the time to organise the finances, but were I in such a position I'd be half tempted to not tip them out of spite.

In many places, if you fail to leave a tip, you will be chased down by the person until you do

I can handle quite a lot of shame.

I'm a bit appalled that it's that bad. A couple of days ago, a story from an American waiter throwing a huge tantrum about not getting a tip made the news here. I've also heard a similar story from a friend who went to London, and a waitress made a big fuss over getting a small tip, too.

Or maybe we're the weird ones. Leaving tips is not really a common thing around here (maybe in restaurant, and even then, nobody really expects you to leave anything)

That happened to us once, the waiter was crap and his clothes were filthy. We didn't tip and he chased us out the restaurant. xD

I don't really mind tipping if it's the norm, and i've received good service. But on some websites they say to tip 25% if the service is exemplary, 20% if it is good, 15% if it is just ok, and only 10% if it is bad service...

10% if it is bad service!? That's what we pay here if it's good! They should get nothing if they give bad service, and to fuck with them if they are on minimum wage. They shouldn't be on a wage at all if they can't do their job.

In general, I go with the following:

Food - 10% to 20% depending on how good service is

Taxi - 10% or thereabouts

Everything else $1 per thing (drinks, bag carrying etc.)

With actually bad service don't worry about leaving nothing, if they kick up a fuss there is always a manager to be talked to.

Cool.

I think the main reason i don't like tipping is that i'm like the Queen: I don't carry cash. So it gets embarassing when i have to leave a tip anywhere.

I think i'm going to ask for loads of small notes when i buy my dollars, so i have a wadge of 'tipping' money before i go.

Also, 'wadge' is that a word? I think it is.

I don't really mind tipping if it's the norm, and i've received good service.

I'd hate to offend somebody because our norms differ, but I disagree so vehemently with the concept of tipping as it exists today. Serebii absolutely nailed it, tipping should never be expected. Tipping is a bonus if the waiter has been extra friendly and made you feel welcome and comfortable. Like mentioned it also allows the owner of the establishment to fuck the employees over regarding pay.

Maybe he meant "wedge."

A wedge of money. Perfect for holding doors open.

The concept of tipping in ridiculous. It should be stopped, and then maybe tightfisted employers would be forced to pay their staff more than peanuts. Why should the general public have to compensate for employer greed?

It's not even a fair system anyway. I once had a taxi driver go in the huff because i didn't tip him. At the time i had been working in a shop for minimum wage and the closest thing i ever got to a tip was an old lady buying me a bag of jelly babies one day, which my manager promptly told me i could not keep, as it was against policy!

So as someone who has worked for min wage for years in the past without a single tip, anyone with a sense of entitlement over tips can piss right off! And greedy employers can as well.

For you to be expected to pay $160 a week to subsidise the failure of employers to pay their staff a living wage is lunacy and you shouldn't do it, don't feel bullied into doing it.

Tipping should only ever be optional if you want to be nice/say thanks/they really deserve it/whatever.