Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Castlevania: Mirror of Fate

Fused King

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That teaser is complete bollocks, not even a CG trailer!?

The Mega 64 vid was the only good thing about that "conference". Not even any real funnies (The pathetic Ronaldo shilling was a small exception though :laughing: )

That teaser is complete bollocks, not even a CG trailer!?

The Mega 64 vid was the only good thing about that "conference". Not even any real funnies (The pathetic Ronaldo shilling was a small exception though :laughing: )

Well it was only a "teaser" - I wouldn't be surprised to see actual gameplay feature in a 3rd party showreel in Nintendo's conference though. Wishful thinking perhaps but maybe it will get it's only little segment... especially if it links to a Wii U version of LoS2. Perhaps the proper trailer shows some connection functionality and they have to wait until the after Nintendo talk to announce anything Wii U related as seems to be the case.

I really can't see otherwise why they would even bother with something as empty as this teaser. The best you get is masked images of the artwork but I can't tell if they are new or old. I justr pray I'm not getting my hopes up.

And yes, the LoS2 trailer aside, the Konami show really wasn't worth watching at all.

Even though he was busting out some different moves, it still really reminded me of the PSP game. The art style is a bit different than what I was expecting - reminded me a little of Fire Emblem for some reason... not the new game, one of the other ones. Wish it showed more gameplay though. Roll on the 3DS showcase!!

This looks much better than I initially thought. Seems they have retained some of the graphic-novely style with some subtle shading effects, despite the lack of sprites. Glad they've not gone too 'realistic'. If it's as big and challenging as the DS games it should be amazing.

Well, based on the Software Showcase unveil, it seems that my fears may have been allayed :D

There seems to be a good amount of exploration and platforming in place.

Also, this vid confirms multiple difficulty levels and some sort of Spotpass online functionality :)

Overall, I reckon it's looking good so far. Looking forward to it :D

3DS game of the year? I'm calling it now folks - you heard it here first!

I thought they pretty much gave away the "big twist" in the Nintendo showcase for the both the first console game, and what I assume is going to be the twist in this one, though arguably the new LoS2 trailer/support text heavily hinted at it.

Edited by Captain Falcon

Yeah, this is good stuff, although it looks to be a prime candidate for framerate drops.

Hoping it's now the case though.

I'm a bit sad that Castlevania is losing its Japaneseness a bit, but I'm all for taking franchises in new directions.

Man o man, the 3DS has so many good games coming up, not to mention the eShop.

Yeah, this is good stuff, although it looks to be a prime candidate for framerate drops.

Hoping it's now the case though.

I'm a bit sad that Castlevania is losing its Japaneseness a bit, but I'm all for taking franchises in new directions.

Man o man, the 3DS has so many good games coming up, not to mention the eShop.

Well, the shift towards a Metroid style of play (with SOTN) was in of itself a complete abandonment of the classic style of play.

This is simply the 3rd era of Castlevania. I have no real issue with it going in a new direction (and indeed it is still retaining elements from both Metroidvania and classic NES/SNES era Castlevania)

Well I'm yet to play a Castlevania game, but I still think from the video above it looks like a lot of fun. The series hasn't really appealed to me before but I think I might be willing to give it a go now maybe.

Quite nice in a way that the series has rebooted too, should make it a little easier to get into, although it probably wasn't really an issue before.

Anyone else feel rather meh about this? Admittedly I'm not much of a castlevania buff, though as I previously stated did enjoy the DS ones that I played, but this just doesn't seem to scream anything at me.

I hear ya, I hear ya.

I suppose a demo of this game would get the feel across better than watching videos.

Still, you got to appreciate Castlevania taking a different route this time 'round.

Well having started up Order of Ecclesia again (started a new file because there's no way I can go back into my previous save right before Dracula/final boss) and playing that has made me feel a little worried about how this'll turn out. Yes, there's a lot of positive feedback coming out from E3 from those that played the demo of this but I'm a little worried about how they'll handle the difficulty and whether they'll balance the combat/exploration/puzzles well enough as they did in the DS games.

Just from the stage demo, the combat did seem a little easy/basic, even when they had a 'boss' come along. I want to be properly challenged with the bosses to the point where even though I've died 20 times I still feel that if I have another go I'll get it on that next try. Similarly, little worried about then bringing the combat system from LoS over to a pseudo-2D game.

Definitely hope they put out a demo so I can allay some of those fears.

I worry the most about the sense of speed that has been taken out.

This looks much more sluggish, and I imagine it to sort of resemble the Melee -> Brawl change.

It'll definitely play different then the recent Metroidvanias.

The speed looks more similar to the classic NES/SNES CV games. That's fine by me, so long as the platforming is detailed and the challenge is high.

• 2 months later...

From GoNintendo

This information comes from Konami's PR for Gamescom...

Konami’s resurrection of the Castlevania series continues, as the breath-taking Castlevania: Lords of Shadows series heads to Nintendo 3DS in 2013 with Castlevania: Lords of Shadow – Mirror of Fate. Developed by Mercury Steam and acting as a prequel to the forthcoming Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2, the Nintendo 3DS game follows Trevor and Simon Belmont as they enter the shadow-laden castle of series villain, Dracula.

With 2013 being the case in Europe and no mention of the game in today's press release, I fear 2013 is the new release period in the states as well. Thanks to NintenDaan for the heads up.

And with that glorious peace of news, the total number of 3DS games released/to be released in 2012 that I have bought/intend to buy stands at zero.