NEurope
Zechs Merquise

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2

Damn, IGN comments are simply over-flowing for that review. Funny thing is that most of the comments have nothing to do with it.

EDIT: Check out this multiplayer game on Nuketown 2025. Very fast-paced, very hectic.

Edited by -Dem0-

Being a relative new comer to this site (posts wise at least) have noticed a few Black Ops 2 sigs up and going, have been a keen COD player on 360 since Modern Warfare, and will def be picking this up on launch day as one of my 3 games, can't bloody wait! But just wondering, could I be so bold as to include myself in any discussions on setting up BOps groups come launch day and beyond. Hell, there is probably a thread for this already, if so be grateful to be pointed in that direction, but very keen to get involved in this, especially with good reviews (and as much as it pains me to say it, the fact it is still 'similar' to past iterations means I know I will enjoy playing it...) and the promise of getting knee deep in Wii U fun from day one. I just hope foul language is allowed on Miiverse when I get my arse whipped every game... :)

Being a relative new comer to this site (posts wise at least) have noticed a few Black Ops 2 sigs up and going, have been a keen COD player on 360 since Modern Warfare, and will def be picking this up on launch day as one of my 3 games, can't bloody wait! But just wondering, could I be so bold as to include myself in any discussions on setting up BOps groups come launch day and beyond. Hell, there is probably a thread for this already, if so be grateful to be pointed in that direction, but very keen to get involved in this, especially with good reviews (and as much as it pains me to say it, the fact it is still 'similar' to past iterations means I know I will enjoy playing it...) and the promise of getting knee deep in Wii U fun from day one. I just hope foul language is allowed on Miiverse when I get my arse whipped every game... :)

Welcome to the forums! Good to know you're moving over onto Wii U with us. We've been gaming online with COD on the Wii since World at War (that was the first online COD on Wii, MW followed a year later).

It'll be good to have you on board, especially if you get a headset!

If you want a clan signature and avatar, just have a think about what you want and I'll get it made for you.

Thought I might get this, but the campaign looks too violent.

Are you joking? You're turned off by a modern military shooter because of violence?

Are you joking? You're turned off by a modern military shooter because of violence?
Shooting and someone bouncing off the windscreen, yeah sure...

But digging your knife into someones throat and then slitting it open across the wall etc... is the kind of unneccesary violence that I hate in video games.

Welcome to the forums! Good to know you're moving over onto Wii U with us. We've been gaming online with COD on the Wii since World at War (that was the first online COD on Wii, MW followed a year later).

It'll be good to have you on board, especially if you get a headset!

If you want a clan signature and avatar, just have a think about what you want and I'll get it made for you.

I believe you are, what they call, a scholar and a gent! Thank you sir, will have a look as really like the Sigs you have made for everyone, and would be very keen to get involved in a clan/group of COD players, always think it makes the experience that much more fun!

Can you recommend any headsets at all, do you have one yet or ordered one? Having a look and on amazon is one called NLa licensed headset for Wii U which I am not allowed to link as not enough posts, so thinking that may be a good shout. Although personally would like to be able to use the pro controller to play and save the gamepad for official hand signs (closed fist/eye point etc), but i guess shouting "TANGO ON YOUR SIX" for the 5th year running will still be fun!

Can you recommend any headsets at all, do you have one yet or ordered one? Having a look and on amazon is one called NLa licensed headset for Wii U which I am not allowed to link as not enough posts, so thinking that may be a good shout. Although personally would like to be able to use the pro controller to play and save the gamepad for official hand signs (closed fist/eye point etc), but i guess shouting "TANGO ON YOUR SIX" for the 5th year running will still be fun!

The best thing to come out of America getting the Wii U first is we'll know which is the best headset to use on it.

Wait till next week before pre-ordering any headsets.

Black Ops 2 on Wii U will get DLC

Still working out the kinks with Nintendo

Apparently, the Wii U version of Black Ops 2 is now confirmed to support downloadable content. While we always believed that it would, the game packaging only now confirms this is the case. One problem, however, is that Activision is apparently working out some kinks in the system for Black Ops 2 map packs and DLC season passes on the Wii U with Nintendo.

The Nuketown 2025 map that is supported to come with Black Ops 2 to those who are day one purchasers is apparently still an issue on the Wii U right now. According to what we are hearing, retailers are going to be supplying codes to Wii U buyers to allow for the download of the Nuketown 2025 map on the Wii U version.

Activision and Nintendo still have some time to work things out, as the Wii U version of Black Ops 2 does not arrive till November 30th, instead of the November 13th release for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC versions. The November 30th release is due to the fact that console will not be released till then. Still, reports are sketchy, and Activision has not officially confirmed anything yet regarding the Wii U version and the Nuketown 2025 map, so we will just have to see how this shakes out.

The best news out of all of this is that Activision and Nintendo have worked things out to get the DLC flowing, and that is a big deal if Nintendo wants to achieve its goal of attracting hardcore gamers to the Wii U platform.

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/29421-black-ops-2-on-wii-u-will-get-dlc

The best thing to come out of America getting the Wii U first is we'll know which is the best headset to use on it.

Wait till next week before pre-ordering any headsets.

I should think recommending something that hasn't been released yet is quite difficult, you make a good point sir! Will keep an ear to the ground and throw some ideas in to the ring if I see any good reviews for headsets myself :)

well after skipping the last two COD games as I felt they brought nothing new to the table, gotta say I impressed with the reviews of this game.

Not gonna get it on 360 though. Gonna wait for Wii U review first!

As long as it is a solid port I will buy the Wii U version.

As it's the 13th and as the game is now out on the other platforms (and some US gamers have got their Wii U version of the game today) I thought I'd start the new recruitment thread on the online section of the forums. So feel free to go over and sign up!

The first post details the N-E clan rules, so please read over them carefully! They're there for the good of everyone and I hope everyone will find them helpful.

well after skipping the last two COD games as I felt they brought nothing new to the table, gotta say I impressed with the reviews of this game.

Not gonna get it on 360 though. Gonna wait for Wii U review first!

As long as it is a solid port I will buy the Wii U version.

It'll be good to have you on board!

From reports from both Kotaku and Gametrailers, it seems that none of the press have a Wii U copy of BLOPS2 at all. They all seem really disappointed and have no clue what the fuck is going on.

Nice work Activision.

Pretty stupid really. It's the same game as the other consoles expect for some of the WiiU implementations, however I think IGN are going to post their review tomorrow.

EDIT: IGN WiiU Reviews

PUBLISHED

Nintendo Land

New Super Mario Bros. U

Ninja Gaiden III: Razor's Edge

COMING ON OR BEFORE LAUNCH

Scribblenauts Unlimited

ZombiU

Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition

Darksiders II

Wii U Hardware Review (Note: This will be a review-in-progress, updated throughout the weekend.)

eShop Launch Guide (checking out some of the downloadable titles that arrive on Day One)

HOLDING AFTER LAUNCH (BECAUSE INTERNETS)

Call of Duty: Black Ops II

Tekken Tag Tournament II: Wii U Edition

Assassin's Creed III

Madden '13

Mass Effect 3

STILL IN-PROGRESS

Um. The rest.

= = =

Edited by -Dem0-

From reports from both Kotaku and Gametrailers, it seems that none of the press have a Wii U copy of BLOPS2 at all. They all seem really disappointed and have no clue what the fuck is going on.

Nice work Activision.

Well surely it can't be worse than the PS3 version?

There were no negative reports from the playtests at the Nintendo event where it was shown, so I can't see why the press haven't got copies.

The strangest thing about this is that there are copies out in the wild already as some stores were releasing them on the 13th when the other versions went on sale.

I'm disappointed GT don't have a copy as they generally produce some of the most balanced reviews and opinions on gaming.

EDIT: After a little googling I found out that basically reviewers were only furnished with 360 copies for review NOT Wii U or PS3.

Edited by Zechs Merquise

Activision didn't send review copies for the 360/PS3 version either, they invited people to go to review events to review it there...but that may just have been Europe

Did you find a reason as to why that is the case?

The 360 version is the lead version and the game is heavily optimised for the 360. The PS3 isn't a very good console to develop for and thus multi-platform games that are developed primarily on other platforms often have problems and issues when being ported to the PS3.

Check this out:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-black-ops-2-on-console

PS3 version looks markedly worse than the 360 version and has a lower framerate.

But the game has also had a myriad of connectivity issues online as well as the online causing PS3s to freeze up forcing players to have to disconnect at the power source and re-boot.

Activision also have a deal with Microsoft to ensure that all advance screenings of the game at press events are done on the 360 version.

Yes, blame the PS3 for Activision/Treyarch developing their games for the 360 and lazily porting them. Let's just ignore all of the games that are as good/better on the PS3. Someone should tell Naughty Dog that the PS3 isn't a very good console to develop for!

Nintendo >>>>>>>>>>>>> Microsoft > Sony

Yes, blame the PS3 for Activision/Treyarch developing their games for the 360 and lazily porting them. Let's just ignore all of the games that are as good/better on the PS3. Someone should tell Naughty Dog that the PS3 isn't a very good console to develop for!

Nintendo >>>>>>>>>>>>> Microsoft > Sony

It's a well known fact that an awful lot of developers find the PS3 difficult to develop for and hard to get the most out of. The majority of multi-platform games perform better on the 360.

It's not just Treyarch who have struggled porting games to the PS3, many very capable developers have had the same problems. When this problem is so wide spread it is clear that the system has major flaws which cause problems for developers producing multi-platform games.

Naughty Dog only produce games for Sony systems. They build their games from the ground up to be optimised for the PS3. That's completely different to a developer who is producing a multi-platform title and has to develop their game with that in mind.

Well...

a) I am well aware of how a lot of developers have had issues with porting games to the PS3 because it's so different from the 360, which is essentially a PC, but this is largely a thing of the past, and the only other recent example I can think of is Skyrim, and Bethesda is infamous for releasing buggy games, and

b) You can rant about how hard porting games to the PS3 is all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that you said this:

The PS3 isn't a very good console to develop for

... Which really isn't the same thing as saying "lazy port" at all.

That's completely different to a developer who is producing a multi-platform title and has to develop their game with that in mind.

Except that's not what they did, is it? They developed the game with the 360 version in mind and rushed out a lazy port. They need to hire better programmers if they can't do a good port of one of the best-selling games of the year when other developers are fully capable of releasing good PS3 versions of their games.

There was actually a very interesting article on Not Enough Shaders where they explained the internal structure at Sony and how things are prioritised within the company. It's clear that the PS3 wasn't designed with developers in mind, it was designed with by engineers who were thinking like engineers not like game developers. This has led to a significant problem which is still evident today.

“Stringer also encountered a hardware-worshipping culture that mistrusted him because he wasn’t an engineer. He was a ‘content guy’ who supposedly cared less about making devices than pushing movies and music. ‘Whenever I mentioned content,’ [stringer] says, ‘people would roll their eyes because, ‘This is an electronics company, and content is secondary.”

The people who designed the PS3 weren't thinking about content or the needs of developers, instead they created a labour of love which aimed to be the 'ultimate' console in terms of spec and technology.

This is something that has harmed the PS3. The problem has lessened with time, but the fact it existed in such a major way and is still present today is something that is largely the fault of Sony.

Yeah I remember Bayonetta being amazing on 360 but the ps3 version was terrible.

I think it was also said at the time that the ps3 was a difficult console to port to. I have technically no idea why though ... :wtf:

My knowledge doesn't go that deep haha.

I remember sonic the hedgehog (terrible terrible game) also coming under fire on the ps3 - but I took that with a pinch of salt as it was total shite regardless haha.

Yeah I remember Bayonetta being amazing on 360 but the ps3 version was terrible.

I think it was also said at the time that the ps3 was a difficult console to port to. I have technically no idea why though ... :wtf:

The Xbox 360 is basically a PC, while the PS3 has a very different internal architecture, so developers tend to find the former a lot more familiar. I'm guessing it probably takes some effort to adapt 360 games to work on the PS3 because it's so different, but this is, what, the sixth Call of Duty game on the PS3? There's absolutely no excuse for a bad port at this point.

Edit: Oh, and the PS3 version of Bayonetta was outsourced, so that's another reason it was so bad.

Saying the PS3 "isn't a very good console to develop for" is pure fanboyism, but I wouldn't expect anything less from Zechs. :indeed:

Edited by Magnus