NEurope
Zechs Merquise

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2

Or perhaps Treyach are trying to make Infinity Ward step their game up a bit for their next game.

Of the COD games I've played the Treyach ones have been better than the IW ones. Treyach seem to genuinly try to improve on previous games without dropping too much of what was good about them.

IW seem to try to ignore any new things Treyach did the year before them (dropping Zombies...although Spec Ops was good alternative, Combat Training, Wager matches and other smaller things) Plus Treyachs maps for multiplayer always feel better than IW's maps.

I can almost garuantee that if this "Pick 10" system for custom classes works well in BO2 come Infinity Wards turn next year they'll prolly drop this as it was something they didn't come up with and go back to the old way and say something like "we wanted to return to the old custom class style to give players a "classic" COD experience" :heh:

I'd much prefer if Treyarch could head the COD games every year. :D

I also wouldn't be surprised if come next IW just make MW4 (are they gonna continue that franchise or come up with a new one?) for PC, PS3 and 360 and get Treyarch to port it for WiiU.

Edited by Mokong

I much prefer Treyarch CoD's to IW ones with the exception of MW. One thing I'm very happy with Treyarch with this time around especially is that they've kept Wiimote controls in the game as opposed to straight porting the 360 version and leaving them out.

For the Wiimote controls alone this will be the definitive version of this game!

I really did enjoy my time playing Wii COD titles. The wiimote & nunchuck controls were superb. But I'd really like to see how the WiiU GamePad controls compare to it.

Also has anyone tried out the Pro Controller at the game events they've been to?

I really did enjoy my time playing Wii COD titles. The wiimote & nunchuck controls were superb. But I'd really like to see how the WiiU GamePad controls compare to it.

Also has anyone tried out the Pro Controller at the game events they've been to?

I've used it on Tekken Tag 2, it's the best "classic" style pad there is, even though it's without triggers.

Still, I'd not see the point using it over the Gamepad for CoD given that the touchscreen on the Gamepad will definitely add benefits.

Oh ok I didn't realise the Modern Warfare story had concluded with the third; but then you're right, it will be interesting to see where it goes next.

Personally I would like to see it go to a prequel and cover the younger adventures of Captain John Price. John Price is a brilliant character and one of the best to come out of this generation of games. What's more, he's based on John McAleese the man who led the SAS team that stormed the Iranian Embassy is 1980. Sadly John McAleese passed away last year, but I think John Price honours his memory well and is a great character who really comes into his own in MW3 and is a very accurate portrayal of the SAS.

My point was really, that surely this sort of near future setting is where you would have expected Modern Warfare to go next, because up until now it's been very much the ultra modern day shooter progressively moving forward with each installment (heading into space etc). And next up I would have thought it would head into the sort of Ghost Recon Future Soldier scene.

MW is an modern shooter, but it's not really gone beyond that. I personally don't see the series going to space or using 'sci-fi' style weapons. Despite Black Ops 2 having drones (which exist now) and the small mechs all the guns are basically ones that are currently available. I think if they ever moved in sci-fi territory they'd be moving too close to Halo and straying from what COD is all about. I can see certain things overlapping with Ghost Recon, but that game is all about a more stealthy approach which flies in the face of COD's mostly run and gun based gameplay.

The two COD series were kind of differentiated before in that Black Ops was staying a bit more traditional in terms of setting and being 'grounded' in real wars. And whilst in order to stay relivant that series in particular would have probably had to change (in that people had been getting a little tired of historical war shooters); I'm just wondering if the two series now are kind of stepping over one another?

I think you're talking mainly about the single player, but most people play these games in the long term for multi-player. I would say Treyarch's approach and Infinity Ward's approach couldn't be further apart now. In almost every aspect of multi-player gameplay the two are moving in opposite directions.

When Infinity Ward produced Modern Warfare they made a masterpiece which is pretty timeless, in fact I've been playing it online for hours this morning and it's still a wonderful game. I think the problem that Infinity Ward faced is that they didn't internally know what made it such an awesome game - the fact everything was so balanced.

I feel every single part of MW is balanced well and counterbalanced expertly by something else. There's no 'perfect' load out or 'super weapon'. There's nothing that's a 'must have' over everything else. The killstreaks are great and none were overpowered. The maps were all brilliant and well thought out allowing numerous assault plans and defensive tactics to be employed.

When they released MW2 they seemed to want to take everything up a gear thinking that a more extreme version of MW would mean a more fun one. It wasn't. The balance was totally thrown out the window, the killstreaks became overpowered and the maps were too tight and cluttered. This lead to a more frantic gameplay mechanic and introduced nonsense like quick scoping, ludicrous knife lunges and a single must have perk that couldn't be countered. (The must have perk is stopping power, which when juggernaut was removed totally unbalanced the game).

MW3 was even worse. Maps were tighter and even more cluttered and became a paradise for campers. The killstreak system was overhauled allowing players who frequently died to get streak rewards that could flatten an entire team and the guns all killed much quicker eliminating most gun fights and turning the game into a 'I saw you first, you're dead' shooter. All of these factors combined with rabid quick scoping, god like dual wield machine pistols and latency issues created an awful mess.

Treyarch on the other hand released WAW and Black Ops. Both of which focused far more on balance. Both also procuded some of the best maps I've ever played on (up there with MW maps). It's like Treyarch value balance and map design over simply ramping up the chaos which Infinity Ward seem to favour.

Yes ok they've connected the two Black Ops games via somewhat of a story, but I don't know maybe they should have stayed away a bit, because like you say, I'm not really sure where Modern Warfare goes from here to importantly keep the two series far enough apart if they're both to co-exist.

I think in terms of setting, too many shooters have tried to jump on the Modern Warfare bandwagon. Medal of Honor has done it - and failed. The new MOH game is an utter mess and because it's based in the 'now' it just comes off as a poor-man's COD. I think MOH should have stayed in WW2 simply to offer a different experience.

As for where the different COD game go from here - we'll have to see when Black Ops 2 is released just how balanced Treyarch have managed to get the game. I think Black Ops will always differentiate itself from Infinity Ward's titles simply through the inclusion of Zombies - a lot of people only buy the game for the Zombies and this year it has three modes instead of just the survival. In fact Zombies is probably strong enough to be a stand alone fanchise now!

In essence, I don't think COD games have a big problem in being different. I play them and I feel each one is significantly altered to stand (and fall) on its own merits. What I do think is a problem though is all the 'me too' games trying to copy COD and simply coming off as clear second bests.

Edited by Zechs Merquise

Black Ops 1 gameplay but in the video he's talking about BO2 maps, lists all of them (7 not yet seen before) and gives brief descriptions of each...

Here are available map layouts so far...

Aftermath:

aftermath.jpg

Cargo:

cargo.jpg

Turbine:

turbine.jpg

Yemen:

yemen.jpg

I'll post the rest when they become available!

From the vid that @kav82 posted, I think Drone sounds like out kind of map - the centre is a large facility surrounded by smaller buildings, possibly like Array!

Live action trailer directed by Guy Ritchie, keep an eye open for Iron Man.

That trailer is awesome! I've pre-ordered mine now, so Nuke Town 2025 here I come!

Where you ordered it from? Does it have to be a specific preorder to get nuke town or as long as you get it you're good?

Where you ordered it from? Does it have to be a specific preorder to get nuke town or as long as you get it you're good?

Althought it's classed as a preorder bonus, it's actually in with every launch copy of the game. So pre-ordering guarentees it, but if you pick it up on day one (or from launch day stock) you should get it too.

So is Nuketown 100% confirmed for the WiiU?

Yes! It's all platforms.

I've copied the FAQ for anyone who didn't see it a few pages back:

Q. How soon can I pre-order Call of Duty®: Black Ops II to get the Nuketown 2025 map?

A. Fans who pre-order Call of Duty: Black Ops II now will get the Nuketown 2025 downloadable bonus map when Call of Duty: Black Ops II releases this November 13th. If you already pre-ordered the game then you’re all set, and you will be able to download the bonus map when Call of Duty: Black Ops II launches.

Q. Where will the pre-order program be available?

A. It will be available through most retailers worldwide.

Q: How do I make sure I can get Nuketown 2025?

A. Nuketown 2025 will be available to any customer who pre-orders their copy of Call of Duty: Black Ops II at participating retailers worldwide. Pre-ordering will secure you a launch unit of Call of Duty: Black Ops II that will include the Nuketown 2025 downloadable bonus map.

Q. When will Nuketown 2025 become available to me?

A. The Nuketown 2025 map will be available for download when Call of Duty: Black Ops II releases worldwide on November 13, 2012.

Q. Will it be available on all platforms?

A. Yes, it is a multiplatform pre-order program. Pre-orders will also be accepted through Steam. Simply follow the instructions to download through your console or PC.

Q. Is Nuketown 2025 locked on the disc?

A. No. Nuketown 2025 is a download.

Q. Does the Nuketown 2025 downloadable bonus map offer apply to me if I already pre-ordered Call of Duty: Black Ops II?

A. Yes.

Q. What if I don't preorder, can I still get the Nuketown 2025 bonus map?

A. The Nuketown 2025 downloadable map comes with each launch unit of Call of Duty: Black Ops II. So the best way to ensure you get the Nuketown 2025 downloadable map is to pre-order your copy of Call of Duty: Black Ops II now.

Q. Do Elite Premium members get this map on day one?

A. Everyone who pre-orders a copy of Call of Duty: Black Ops II gets Nuketown 2025 on Day One. This offer has no affiliation with Call of Duty Elite or the Call of Duty: MW3 Season of Content.

Maybe Modern Warfare didn't end with MW3 after all.

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/36560/rumor-call-of-duty-modern-warfare-4-in-the-works

This is perhaps less than surprising, but according to the voice actor of Captain Price, Modern Warfare 4 may be in the works.

A reporter for UK site This Is Xbox happened to recognize Bill Murray, the confusingly named voice actor behind Captain Price, on a flight. Before he could mention his games journalism job, Murray apparently spilled the beans:

"Yeah, on Monday I am off to meet Infinity Ward about the next game, Modern Warfare 4, I’m doing work on the sequel to Modern Warfare 3, it carries straight on and I only ever appear in the Modern Warfare games…"

Our Take: Really, this isn't all that surprising. Modern Warfare 3 sold nearly thirty million copies, so it's not exactly going to be difficult for anybody at Activision or Infinity Ward to decide that just maybe they might want a sequel.

Nonetheless, take this with a grain of salt: Activision has announced no plans for the future of the franchise just yet.

Maybe Modern Warfare didn't end with MW3 after all.

I'm actually quite shocked by this! At the end of MW3 everything was wrapped up so neatly - no loose ends or anything. It was a series that seemed to have such a conclusive ending.

I really don't know where they can go bearing in mind WW3 was wrapped up and literally no one was left unaccounted for!

Obviously nothings officially confirmed yet.

Who knows, maybe it could be a prequel like you were kinda hoping for?

So in layout it's identical... I would've thought it'd be similar but different enough to warrant it being a new map.

I just hope it's not overplayed this time.

So in layout it's identical... I would've thought it'd be similar but different enough to warrant it being a new map.

I just hope it's not overplayed this time.

Oh it will be, its going to be a nightmare...

One thing that annoys me with this is that they've gone back to having one Scorestreak that will be used across all your custom classes.

If there was one positive thing that Infinty Ward did for create a class it was being able to choose a particular Scorestreak (Pointstreak in this instance) for each custom class you had.

I ALWAYS mix up my streaks dependent on my class set-up and the game mode we're playing. IW really took a step forward here and now Treyarch are dropping it!

One thing that annoys me with this is that they've gone back to having one Scorestreak that will be used across all your custom classes.

If there was one positive thing that Infinty Ward did for create a class it was being able to choose a particular Scorestreak (Pointstreak in this instance) for each custom class you had.

I ALWAYS mix up my streaks dependent on my class set-up and the game mode we're playing. IW really took a step forward here and now Treyarch are dropping it!

I think IW allowed you to attach a streak to each perk because of the set up in MW3. You had to pick between the three styles of streak then pick your set up, which actually took a lot of time and a bit of thinking.

With this you're back to just a standard list of X number of steak rewards so setting them up takes a lot less time.

I think IW allowed you to attach a streak to each perk because of the set up in MW3. You had to pick between the three styles of streak then pick your set up, which actually took a lot of time and a bit of thinking.

With this you're back to just a standard list of X number of steak rewards so setting them up takes a lot less time.

Even so, I'd like to not have to switch my streaks in between games. It made so much more sense to have streaks set to a class as opposed to streaks being set to all classes.

Treyarch usually keep things that improve the game and then expand upon them which is why I'm surprised they didn't keep this.