NEurope
Murr

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale

Beta codes are being handed out as I got one today. Would seem reasonable they'll invite PS+ members too. I just downloaded it and managed to play 1 game.

In the beta you can only play online, but it looks like you can have up to four people playing on 1 console. Available characters are apparently:

* Kratos (God of War)

* PaRappa the Rapper

* Fat Princess

* Sweet Tooth (Twisted Metal)

* Radec (Killzone) and Sly Cooper.

But I don't remember seeing them all up for selection yet.

This is all coming from the 1 match I played so I'll probably give it another go to give a more reliable feedback if anyones interested but the game was smooth and seemingly lag free, though I couldnt switch off other peoples mics. There was also no option to customise the controls (though should be in full game) so it was a bit weird using x to jump and not the control stick. (as well as R2 to activiate special move) There didn't seem to be any sort of charging technique, just attacks attached to square, triangle, circle along with the control stick.

I used Fat Princess and I really had no idea whether the moves I was doing were having an effect but I did manage to come second in the game. Hard to notice when items were appearing and whether or not they were being activated.

Played on this stage: http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/misc/movies/gsm_169_e32012_stage_demo_playstation_allstars_060712_4000_640.jpg

Wasn't too dynamic, admittedly I dont know which franchaise its from the the monster didn't attack that much, and there was a platform that moved around (though I kept trying to do the Smash Bros thing of trying to go down through the platform which you cant do).

Didn't have too much fun playing the match but that could be because a) its just a Beta, b) they've done a really poor job or explaining the controls and objectives, c) I'm too used to Smash Bros.

Happy to give it a couple more goes to see more of the game, but I'm not that impressed by it.

Have they announced Crash and Spyro yet? This game is rather pointless without them.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale beta kicks off this week!

8089619433_1d97793147.jpg

We hope you’ve been keeping track of all the recent updates on PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale news. From an in-depth update on the PS Vita version to our behind-the-scenes look at mashing up different worlds, we’ve shown you what this game is shaping up to be… and we think it’s high time you try it out for yourselves!

Today, we’re happy to announce that the PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale beta will kick off for PlayStation Plus members on PlayStation 3 on 17th October and then expand to everyone from 24th October through PlayStation Store!

What’s more, as a special treat, PS Vita users will be able dive right into the multiplayer beta starting tomorrow – no Plus subscription required. The beta will support Cross-Play, so PS3 and PS Vita owners will be able to fight with and against each other.

So, what exactly will be in the beta?

You’ll be able to play as Kratos, Sweet Tooth, Colonel Radec, Sly Cooper, PaRappa and Fat Princess.

You’ll be able to play in both the Metropolis and Hades stages.

You’ll be able to try out four-player online tournaments and 2 vs 2 online tournaments. For the 2 vs 2 games we’ll be supporting friend invites, so you and a friend can fight another team online.

This, of course, is only a tiny fraction of what PlayStation All-Stars has to offer, but we thought you’d love the chance to try it early and see what all the buzz is about. This beta is also really helpful for us as it allows us to load test the servers before releasing the game. Be sure to hop on quickly as we’ll be ending the beta on 30th October!

But that’s not all. As you know, we have a pre-order program running right now that unlocks a set of exclusive costumes in the game. Today we’re happy to unveil the rest of the costumes you’ll be getting with your pre-order of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale.

8089619591_42b64d0a08.jpg

Unlocked with your pre-order at participating retailers, these costumes will work for both the PS3 and PS Vita when it releases on 21st November (22nd in Australia & New Zealand, 23rd in UK & Ireland), so be sure to reserve your copy today. And don’t forget: PlayStation All-Stars features Cross-Buy support, so if you purchase the PS3 version, you’ll get a downloadable PS Vita version for no extra cost.

With beta access beginning in two days, we look forward to getting your feedback on the game and seeing what you think of this highly anticipated title. Spread the word and we’ll see you online!

So Beta for PS+ members from tomorrow. A week later for everyone else. Still undecided about the game, when I tried it I didn't have that much fun, but there might be a good game deep inside. Some of the Game exclusive cover art look kinda nice too.

I've been playing this on the Vita. I'm enjoying it more than I though I would.

I would be all over these cross-buy games if the Vita supported SD cards.

With the memory like it is now, I'm actually less inclined to get them than I would if the Vita version didn't exist.

I've just started deleting games off the memory card. It's not too big a deal. Don't get me wrong, it's fucking retarded that I have to do that but I can fit more than enough games on there to not be an issue and I will opt for the non-digital copy 80% of the time. There really need to be a better way of accessing old games than the reaming through the Download list.

The Beta is a bit tricky to judge. The fighting mechanics have been nailed, which is the most important thing but without the full array of stages, characters and items it's hard to judge. I feel it need a little more mayhem (but then I played Smash Bros with only pokeballs and proximity mines landing all over the place).

I think I'll pick it up because it's a pretty awesome to zone out to on a handheld (I'm increasingly finding I cannot be bothered with games on the TV...I need to multitask, which is weird). I'm loving the Killzone dude.

It's a shame that this is going to get so much hate. It's hardly detracting from Smash since that's a single platform game. In fact, I'd love to see an Xbox version.

Just played my first game of the beta on my Vita and won 5-0-2-4. It's enjoyable for the most part, handy basic tutorial available to get used to the controls, being a fan of Smash bros it felt a little odd at first but easy enough to adjust (for me at any rate) to the controls. It's definately a game you'll want to try the beta of before you commit.

I really enjoyed this earlier. :D (before my Vita ran out of battery and I couldn't find the charger)

I thought it looked crap as well, so pleasantly surprised. Something to catch up to US tv to. :)

I'm tempted by this pretty much purely for the cross play (sucker for a bargain) but like Cube, the memory situation is stopping me from buying this and many other digital games. I already have Sound Shapes and some classics waiting for me to clear up some room... Sony tried ripping consumers off, but I actually think it'll have the reverse effect and people won't buy as much because memory is so expensive.

Gah, I keep losing the host on the Vita and sometimes it randomly changes my character before a match. I wish the stages were more chaotic.

I'm actually looking forward to this now, though. Cole MacGrath, so much.

Played this not sure I like it to be honest. Not enough cool items. Levels are very meh and unless there are cool hidden characters that have not been revealed I'm not all that impressed with the final roster. Will try out rest beta roster.

unless there are cool hidden characters that have not been revealed

There must be hidden characters. I refuse to believe that this even got greenlit without securing Crash and Spyro first.

There must be hidden characters. I refuse to believe that this even got greenlit without securing Crash and Spyro first.

Nah, they figured that Big Daddy and New Dante were a better representation of Playstation's history :p

BTW, really looking forward to trying this out next week. Seems the sentiment surrounding the game is actually quite positive! (ignoring the obvious and no doubt hilarious Smash Bros knockoff feeling)

Not enough cool items.

It's a beta. There are literally only four items.

It's a beta. There are literally only four items.

I also mean in what other limited stuff I have seen.

This was at Eurogamer. Pretty popular there. They had more than double the amount of characters and stuff. Shame the beta is so small.

I wouldn't even call it a beta. The game is out in a month. It will be pretty much finished from now. There is no way that any input or feedback from the beta will affect the game.

It's simply a demo - but it's a lot "cooler" to call a demo a "beta" these days.

It's a Beta because it's stress test for the network play. It has way too many problems right now to be a demo and they should be relatively easy to fix before launch.

Just played my first few games of this. I'm annoyed that every attack sends you flying. Just repeated battles of who can get the first hit, which makes characters who have a move which is better at hitting first come out on top. Radec is a pain in the arse since if you are fighting his team mate you always get shot, and there is never time to jump out of the way of his green ultimate thing. I was losing my character a lot in the beta too, which may change with time but was kinda annoying. Still hoping for better things once it launches but the fighting seems too spammy.

I wish the camera was more dynamic like in Smash Bros, right now even with all the characters bunched up they look really small. It's also really easy to lose track of your character because there aren't any names or player numbers above the characters. Online is a buggy mess and Radec and Kratos are way too strong and Sly Raccoon feels useless but hopefully these have been sorted out since we are playing a very old version of the game. I'll wait and see some reviews and pick it up on the cheap later

Well the beta is over and having played it one more time I have figured out what is wrong with it.

The flow of the fights is broken too much. Every attack sending you flying breaks up the flow of the fights horrendously imho, and you can't break-fall like in smash bros (that I am aware of... Can you?). The most blantant flow-breaker is Parappa. His level 3 ult is stupid purely because you know the outcome of it. Everyone dies once. Yet you have to sit there looking at him. It's not like he is trying to time button-presses to get more of you or anything. it's just a very prolonged taunt.

Anyway beta is over let's hope they have some stats on what percentage of games characters won, and which move they used 90% of the time :p

So for those who've played, just how much of a cheap imitation of smash bros is this?

So for those who've played, just how much of a cheap imitation of smash bros is this?

The concept is the same but it's executed entirely differently. In Smash Bros the objective is to knock them out of the arena, and damaging them makes this easier, but in this you have to hit them until you build points for an ultimate, then if you hit someone with an ultimate they die. There is no concept of damage, just hit them with an ultimate. There are 3 levels of ultimate so there is a bit of strategy in deciding whether to use it at level 1, or wait for level 2 and 3 I suppose.

I much prefer the Smash Bros approach, it lends itself to far more creativity. But it is the same in that it is up to 4 players from across the playstation universe fighting on a level.