N-Europe

Why Disney taking so long with BluRay re-releases?

Mokong

Anyone here kn

ow what Disney are playing at with re-releasing some of their classic films on BluRay? I know they just recently re-release Lady & The Tramp on BluRay but they seem to be drip feeding the old films out slowly and I can't seem to find out when certain films will get a re-release (if ever?)

There's a ton of films I hadn't bought before on DVD and now with the son growing up and starting to enjoy watching films/cartoons I want to try to get a good Disney Collection going. But of course want to stick to BluRays.

But damnit why are there still so many classics not yet on BluRay?

The Jungle Book

Pinocchio

Aladin

The Rescuers

Snow White

Sword and the Stone

Black Cauldron

(There's prolly more I can't think of right now... was gonna say Pocahontas too but just spotted there's a BluRay release for that in May :))

How have none of these not yet been releases on BluRay? Especially the first two I listed which I would have thought would have been top of the list for re-release and I would have expected to be out long ago.

Yet I can't find any info on them for a BluRay release. Was in Dublin the other week and went into the Disney Store and there and asked and they seemed to have no clue... though that may or may not be any real indication as to the future release schedual.

I also today just ordered a boxset for the Might Ducks films on DVD on the cheap and cause I've been holding out long enough and still no sign of a bluray release for even just the first 2 films (I could live without the 3rd on bluray) and I'm thinking if that makes it to Bluray it could prolly still be a fair few years away if at all. So swallowed my pride and ordered it on DVD :heh:

They do tend to be announced in advance. This year is Finding Nemo, Cinderella, Pocahontas and Lady and the Tramp from what I can tell.

Also new stuff (e.g. Brave will be out at Christmas) and things like Treasure Planet, Atlantis etc that won't be so popular.

I just want Lilo and Stitch!

Can't believe I forgot to list Tarzan in my OP :heh:

I was also not fully aware of this Disney Vault :mad:

I say we break into it and release everything from its prision

Also new stuff (e.g. Brave will be out at Christmas) and things like Treasure Planet, Atlantis etc that won't be so popular.

Yeah the new-new stuff is expected of course to get a BluRay release as it's an initial first release. Just why in the hell is The Jungle Book taking so long for a BluRay edition :(

Oddly enough the wife returned from Tesco today with The Rescuers on DVD at the same time I felt :mad: and :yay:

Snow White and Pincohhico are on bluray already. :)

I did not know this? I've never been able to find them so assumed they are still in waiting

Yes, but both are no longer in production, so you're looking at £30-£40 for each one.

Ah so in the "vault" then are they?

I actually usually order online through Play.com and have never seen them there which is why I assumed... just searced on Amazon.co.uk and there they are... and indeed they are extrodinary prices £29 for Snow White and Pinochhico a shocking £48 :wow:

And neither included in the 2 for 1 sale on Amazon it seems either :mad:

Disney are the masters at this. They have been releasing, deleting and re-releasing their back catalogue for years. Personally I can't wait for The Little Mermaid to show up on Blu-ray - if I had to pick a favourite "classic" Disney movie it would probably have to be that one.

Yeah it's to keep the magic alive/interest up. I think it works. But can be annoying I guess, yeah.

I experienced this first hand when my favourite Disney film, The Little Mermaid, wasnt available on VHS until 1998 (when it also had a cinema rerelease IIRC), having loved it since I can remember (always having to rent it). My mum told me about Disney's policy back then of releasing things for a little while, then taking them away.