N-Europe

Seaman Heads To 3DS

Hero-of-Time

The classic Dreamcast virtual pet sim Seaman will be revived on the 3DS, according to a report at the online edition of Nikkei.

In a feature about Nintendo, Nikkei mentions a plan from the company to revive other publisher's titles on the 3DS as part of a strategy to bring new strong titles to the system. The paper mentions Seaman as an example of this, but does not provide specifics.

Seaman creator Yoot Saito, who's currently making one of the four games in Level-5's Guild 01 on 3DS, hinted back in June 2010 that Seaman could appear on 3DS.

Released by Sega in 1999, Seaman caused a sensation throughout Japan and became one of the Dreamcast's best selling games.

Nikkei's mention of Seaman came as part of a general report about Nintendo's earnings and future prospects.

The report also has a look at the construction grounds of Nintendo's new development studio, which is scheduled to open at the end of December 2013. Construction is taking place on the land of a former golf practice grounds. Iwata was a regular at an Italian restaurant on the second floor of the facility, and his companion was always Shigeru Miyamoto. According to Nikkei, it's at this restaurant that the two finalized the concept for the Nintendo DS.

Source: Andriasang

Interesting. Not really bothered about this title myself, but more games is never a bad thing.

Yeah I remember it from the Dreamcast... thought it was called Seamen... but never mind! :p

But yeah I wasn't interested in it then and I'm not now, but sure, the more games!

If we're reviving Dreamcast games here, bring on Crazy Taxi, Ikaruga and Power Stone 3DS! :D

Edited by Retro_Link

You missed the most important part!!!

In a feature about Nintendo, Nikkei mentions a plan from the company to revive other publisher's titles on the 3DS as part of a strategy to bring new strong titles to the system. The paper mentions Seaman as an example of this, but does not provide specifics.

Nintendo are bringing back 3rd party franchises themselves! Yes, that means that a Nintendo developed Shenmue 3 is entirely possible!

That probably explains the Sonic Dimensions rumour (a Wii U exclusive Sonic game being co-developed by EAD Tokyo).

I reckon that we might see Jet Set Radio as well. Headstrong Games (Art Academy, House of the Dead Overkill) supposedly pitched a JSR game for Wii that ended up getting rejected. Considering that Art Academy came out in 2010 it might even end up being a launch title for Wii U!

Now if only they'd buy back Rare's IP and get all the old Rareware staff back together...

Now if only they'd buy back Rare's IP and get all the old Rareware staff back together...

If Nintendo are planning on developing the games themselves, as well as Microsoft not having a handheld and having no interest in using Rare's IPs, it could work really well for both companies if Microsoft let Nintendo use the IPs.

And don't forget that Viva Pinata was on the DS.

I was waiting for some form of comment like that. I'm just surprised it wasn't by Rez. :D

I...er... aim to please?

Reminds me of all the fun I had when David Seaman was England Keeper:

"Seaman comes shooting out towards the goal!"

"Seaman was all over the ball"

"He was looking for an opening, but all he found was Seaman."

"And there's Seaman going into the tunnel..."