N-Europe

Broken Age

Happenstance

Psychonauts developer Double Fine making fan-funded adventure game

Psychonauts developer Double Fine Productions is making a fan-funded adventure game.

It's using Kickstarter.com to raise $400,000 - the minimum required to make the dream a reality.

Double Fine's Tim Schafer, one of the chief architects of the adventure game genre, announced the project last night.

At the time of publishing, $297,846 was raised - with 33 days to go.

"This is a game for adventure fans, funded by adventure fans," Schafer said in a promotional video on the Kickstarter website.

"If you back this Kickstarter project, you will be cool, and everybody will like you."

Kickstarter allows anyone to make a donation to the game development fund, but Double Fine has made available premium pledges for those with the cash to splash.

Donate $15,000 or more and you'll score dinner with Tim and key members of the development team. $20,000 or more gets you dinner and bowling with them. $50,000 or more and you become a character in the game.

Give $150,000 or more and Schafer will give you one of the last four remaining Triangle Boxed Day of the Tentacles, in original shrink-wrap.

The game is expected to be a truly collaborative process, with fans who donate involved deeply in development.

And video game documentary makers 2 Player Productions will film the entire journey, putting video after video on the internet for those who donate to enjoy.

The finished game will be released on PC via Steam. Donate and you'll get exclusive access to the beta, the video series and a private discussion community.

Wait, they've now raised $306,806. This won't take long.

Double_Fine_Adventure.jpg.jpg

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-09-psychonauts-developer-double-fine-making-fan-funded-adventure-game

Im planning on donating to this once the money for my Vita has come out. Always like the Double Fine games.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Finished Act 1. The game is gorgeous and the voice acting is top-notch. A couple of puzzles made me thing, but nothing too taxing (hopefully part 2 is more difficult).

The story is great. Especially the end, which I'll discuss in a spoiler box at a later date.

I'm very much looking forward to Act 2.

It´s looking good! I think I´ll pre-order it. A shame I wasn´t involved in the Kickstarter.. I assume there´s no regular retail version planned? Also was it intended to be released in 2 parts, or was it just to give the backers something concrete to show how much work they´ve put in or something?

Pretty much the best looking game I've ever seen, at least in terms of non realistic looking graphics. It actually feels like I'm playing a cartoon/illustration. It's a bit distracting though, since I'm always trying to figure out if it's 2D or 3D.

Haven't got very far though. I'm only just "off the rails".

Got a bit further now.

I've done the grappler arm thing, just need to modify the scarf and figure out how to get to the orb. I just can't seem to figure out how to get either my head smaller or the helmet bigger.

Figured this out whilst at work. Going to try it out later.

That fact that I'm still thinking about the puzzles at work means that I must really like this game.

Finished this last night, what a cliffhanger! Really really loved it, can't wait for Act 2, hopefully it won't be too long to wait.

Stunning visuals, amazing voice acting, clever script etc, really enjoyable. The ending and the realisation of what's going on is pretty cool.