NEurope
dan-likes-trees

Going Bald

I'd be too worried about GVH to ever get a hair transplant.

I don't think you can get that from a hair transplant. Thought it was more major stuff (things that are inside your body).

I'm 33. Hair started receding when I was about 25/26. I stayed shaving it all of when I was about 29.

Love my grey hair. But ...

Receding hair is the worst thing in my life. It pains me when I see it in the mirror. A reminder of getting old/mortality. It depresses me. Hate it so much. :(

Odders!! I was banking on you saying you didn't mind the hairloss and you get used to it and all that jazz, ah darn. I can see what you mean though, mine starting to go feels like the definite end of being young is begininng.

How far has your hair line receded? It probably looks worse than it is to you. Has anyone else said anything about it?

I've always had a fringe so it's pretty covered up but it's becoming quite gappy as it's going back. Swept back my fringe the other day and a friend was like 'god you are going bald!!' which was good. To be honest it's mainly just that I have a huge forehead which makes the receeding look worse than it is. Still, if it goes back any further anytime soon I won't be able to get away with the fringe anymore.

Overall, I'm not too bothered because there's little I can do. But if the Alpecin stuff doesn't help slow it down, I'll just start wearing a hat more often heh.

Do report back! Had a look online and there's some drug which everyone seems to say works well to stop it... but side effect is potentially erectile dysfunction - think I'll pass...

Going bald terrifies me. I think it would destroy me because I'm stunningly superficial when it comes to myself. I'm pretty sure it's not going to happen though. I have a bit of a weird hairline but it's always been like that.

Although if I knew I was going to go bald I could probably cope. Nowt much you can do about it.

I think I have too much hair. My dad's hairline is still pretty good and he's 45, he doesn't have that many gray hairs, and I've never had any. My grandad died with a white afro so I don't think I'm going bald any time soon.

Even if I was though there's so many ways to fix it nowadays and it can only get better.

I too, like most of you, am so vain in regards to the appearance. Hair is one of the things I like about me (I still sometimes see myself as a fat person due to my messed up brain) and I take great care in it. Losing it would just destroy me

Regarding all the talk about genes, I seem to vaguely recall something about hair loss not being hereditary the way people think.

Currently, still have a full head of hair. But i have noticed it starting to go on the right side of my head, similar to that of my Dad and Grand-dad. I am worried about hair loss, even though it is something that really can't be avoided. Unless i go for the cue-ball look, which is also something i don't want to do really.

My Dad's bald. I have a slight receeding hairline but it makes me look sinister. My younger brother on the other hand has a worse hairline. So he's gone skinhead.

Not that bothered about it myself, if it goes then it goes.

Regarding all the talk about genes, I seem to vaguely recall something about hair loss not being hereditary the way people think.

Yeah this is true. Apparently it's mum's dad (so maternal grandfather) that you get it from. Which is a big hame as my dad kept his hair until 50something, which I could live with, but the grandpa went bald mid twenties... argh.

Odders!! I was banking on you saying you didn't mind the hairloss and you get used to it and all that jazz, ah darn. I can see what you mean though, mine starting to go feels like the definite end of being young is begininng.

Sorry dude, it makes me miserable.

Yeah this is true. Apparently it's mum's dad (so maternal grandfather) that you get it from. Which is a big hame as my dad kept his hair until 50something, which I could live with, but the grandpa went bald mid twenties... argh.

If thats the case, i don't have anything to worry about. Both my Grand-dads had a good hairline until at least 50+, so i'm all good until then i think.

Everyone on my mum's side has a lot of hair, very thick, so I guess I don't have to worry! (I'm a girl, but it happens.) My fringe always grows ridiculously fast, too. My dad's hair has started thinning due to overwork and stress, but I'll still love him no matter what!

Everyone on my mum's side has a lot of hair, very thick, so I guess I don't have to worry! (I'm a girl, but it happens.) My fringe always grows ridiculously fast, too. My dad's hair has started thinning due to overwork and stress, but I'll still love him no matter what!

I like the way that implies it is a terrible thing :p Even if his hair is thinning! Horror of horrors!

You have amazing hair Eddie - looks so thick and shiny!! (From pics you've posted!)

Jealous haha.

I am always jealous of people with thick hair, but they often tell me that it makes it so difficult to do anything with (more guys than girls).

My sister has thick hair which i'd like to somehow steal. Haha.

Haha, thanks Aneres :) Thanks to my mum's genes!

The secret to manageable thick hair is a layered haircut and proper shaping and distribution of weight! :D

So here's an interesting question.

If you guys were to go bald before say 40 (those who haven't), would you try to cover it with a wig/toupée?

My sister has thick hair which i'd like to somehow steal. Haha.

At least you have a back-up plan if you ever lose your hair.

If you guys were to go bald before say 40 (those who haven't), would you try to cover it with a wig/toupée?

No way. Going bald, whilst not ideal for most, happens to a large proportion of men and is completely acceptable.

Wearing a wig/toupee makes you look like a massive idiot and will remove any dignity that you have.

I wouldn't wear a wig but I'd definitely go for the hair transplant thing.

I have a huge amount of thick, horrible quality hair. It feels/looks burnt naturally, so even nicer after I straighten it.

I have a lot of fine silver hairs growing on my temples, but also here and there. They stun me so much though. I feel Reed Richards-esque. My hairline shows no sign of receeding or thinning. My dad still has an ok amount of hair at 50...something, but really quite thin now and on the verge. He had a jewfro at my age.

I posted a topic on this a while ago.

It sucks about hair loss. Tried some propecia pills and Regaine, but Regaine gave me dandruff which is a shame because my hair looked a lot thicker when I used it. Gonna try again just with propecia, but it's a pain in the arse having to get a prescription every 3 months.

No way, I think they look horrendous. :heh: I'd much rather go straight for the bald look.

Do report back! Had a look online and there's some drug which everyone seems to say works well to stop it... but side effect is potentially erectile dysfunction - think I'll pass...

I presume that's Minoxidil? Too expensive for my liking. I'm using the Alpecin shampoo and the liquid they sell and together cost me just under £13. Because they suggest 3 months at least of using it to see some results I can't really say much after just over a week of using it, but I've noticed some very fine hair growing ahead of my hair line at the front.

But, it does make my hair appear a lot thicker after washing it which is awesome as not many other shampoo's I've used gave me that effect.

Hell no. Depending on whether there was any left around the sides, I'd probably opt for a crazy scientist look though.