NEurope
Wesley

THE NHS!

Man the NHS is fucking crazy right?

1.7 million people work for the NHS in some form.

Fucking crazy to have that many people under one organisation.

What do you guys think?

Also, to make this thread more KNEE-like feel free to post a picture of a recent purchase/face you faced/funny alcohol thing you did/pet.

I'll start:

Cactus-Costume.jpg

I like the NHS.

It's great that we don't have to pay for our healthcare. Not directly anyway.

I've had quite a bit of orthodontic work on there, that normally would have cost me a lot.

But it didn't.

Most developed countries have some sort of NHS.

Even America is finally coming into the developed world (despite heavy resistance from idiots (otherwise known as Americans)).

[This is actually quite hard]

The medical side of the NHS is the best thing ever...Its the dentistry side that i don't really like.

I sat in a waiting room for 2 hours to get a dentist that literally looked at my mouth for 5 seconds and said I was fine...screw NHS dentists >__>

The medical side of the NHS is the best thing ever...Its the dentistry side that i don't really like.

I sat in a waiting room for 2 hours to get a dentist that literally looked at my mouth for 5 seconds and said I was fine...screw NHS dentists >__>

Totally agree. I had a private dentist for a while but then switched to an NHS one to save money. The difference was phenomenal. Whilst my private dentist took time to check all of my teeth carefully, and also done an x-ray, the NHS one little more than glanced at my teeth and told me i was fine and to come back in 6 months. Didn't feel as if he remotely cared.

I know obviously there is a funding issue in there, but that's still very low standards for a dentist. I've been seen by a few dentists in the practice now, and they're all like that, so it wasn't just him.

Regret leaving my private dentist now!

I used to work for the NHS, and both my Mum and my sister still do, and i think it is pretty darn good value for money.

It could certainly be improved, they way it is run is pretty bad but otherwise i think it is something to be proud of compared to many other countries' hospital systems.

Even America is finally coming into the developed world (despite heavy resistance from idiots (otherwise known as Americans)).

Considering the details as to how Obama's healthcare plan was supposed to be implemented, its actually pretty sane to object to it. Rather than having a single payer system through taxes, the system would basically force everyone to pay for private insurance, which is a terrible idea if you think about it.

Having a proper single payer system isn't a bad thing, but there are still problems associated with it as well. Having to pay for the medical treatment of people who made stupid decisions (Smoking, heavy drinking, etc.) is the main one.

The NHS is one of the most important things in this country. Above all, it's just so reassuring to know that if somebody I know becomes sick or ill, the system is there to help. It means we won't have to break the bank to help them.

It's not perfect. It needs a lot of money to be pumped into it to help it work better, and the staff need a lot of help and support. But, it's one of the reasons I am grateful to be in this country, rather than somewhere else.

Regret leaving my private dentist now!
They'll let you back, y'know. They don't hold grudges.

They'll let you back, y'know. They don't hold grudges.

Or do they

scary_dentist.jpg

Still, the NHS is good. Yes it does need more public money to improve. But, i like how we get "near" free health-care. People say they've had bad experiences at hospitals and dentists, but i've not had a bad experience at all. I've felt comfortable knowing i'm being taken care of by professionals.

Living in a country with one of the biggest welfare systems in the world, I'm naturally a huge fan of national healthcare services.