NEurope
ReZourceman

Amazon Kindle Fire

I think its pretty cool. People have to accept it for what it is whilst yes it is trying to compete with ipad in some ways in others it clearly isn't even in the game and not trying to be. For me if it offers an enriching web browsing and video watching experience for the sofa/bed and is under £200 I'm interested.

When it comes out in the UK i'll probably get one (and it must come out at some point). Ive wanted a tablet for a while now for digital comics and with DC going exclusive with the Kindle Fire for digital graphic novels it should be good.

It's great that someone finally realised that the main thing putting people off tablets is the price.

Although it helps that Amazon have the digital content to make the money from.

I had my card out ready to buy one during the press event.

Then no UK date was announced.

:(

It's great that someone finally realised that the main thing putting people off tablets is the price.

Although it helps that Amazon have the digital content to make the money from.

Yeah...hoping this will drive down prices of other android tablets BUT quite a few reports say that the likes of Samsung only have margins of 5% on their tablets so slashing the price say in half is not an option.

Well Amazon are probably losing money on this.

They just sell a decent service that should regain those loses.

This probably won't force every other tablet manufacturer to a race to the bottom.

Other manufacturers can't sell at a lose because there's simply no way to regain.

I'd expect a bunch of shitty cheaper tablets to come out though.

Maybe looking like they compete, but are actually pretty shoddy.

It apparently costs $209 for them to make it.

They just sell a decent service that should regain those loses.

This probably won't force every other tablet manufacturer to a race to the bottom.

Other manufacturers can't sell at a lose because there's simply no way to regain.

I'd expect a bunch of shitty cheaper tablets to come out though.

Maybe looking like they compete, but are actually pretty shoddy.

There are already tons by no name brands all look as shit as the next.

So basically...it's going to be a tablet instead of an ebook reader? Looks pretty, liking the Android, hadn't heard about this since I've been ignoring all tablet news...they got indistinguishable from each other and I can't afford one anyway :'( My first concern with tablets is security (i.e. more research needed, didn't bother watching more than a few minutes)...if I had one, I would restrict my usage to everything but web browsing. /doesn't have a smartphone

The thread title really screwed with my head though. I read it as "Amazon Kindles Fire", and was wondering whether their Kindle warehouse caught fire, or whether they had made an inflammatory comment defending the Kindle :blush:

When it comes out in the UK i'll probably get one (and it must come out at some point). Ive wanted a tablet for a while now for digital comics and with DC going exclusive with the Kindle Fire for digital graphic novels it should be good.

Won't lie: Basically want this thing exclusively for comics and magazines. It's perfect.

Really like the look of this, at $200 it's a steal. I've put my order in, looking forward to getting it.

Yup, ditto. I'm sold. Would have considered holding out for a second generation one but it's relatively so cheap, I'd have no problem buying that, too.

Well played Amazon.

It's a shame we'll probably pay double over the yanks though. I'm betting all they'll do is switch the $ for £ on the price tag.

Rumours suggest £159 actually, which would be amazing. It wouldn't be hard to make this a decent tablet PC.

Btw, I've moved this thread, gadget etc discussion goes in the tech board. I've seen a few threads like this lately, please stop posting things like this in the general chit-chat just because you want more views.

Edited by Shorty

You might want to finally move the Minecraft thread to the Other Consoles Board, then.

Yeah I mentioned that not long ago...

Does anyone have any idea when it might release in the UK?

I'm actually slightly gutted it's not out over here before Christmas...

I've wanted a tablet for ages, but kept waiting because of this rumoured tablet.

:(

Rumours suggest £159 actually, which would be amazing. It wouldn't be hard to make this a decent tablet PC.

Btw, I've moved this thread, gadget etc discussion goes in the tech board. I've seen a few threads like this lately, please stop posting things like this in the general chit-chat just because you want more views.

Excuse me for being selfless.

That's not how this works dude.

Look at it this way. The tech thread helps keep tech related things organised. You want to ask about the newest phone, or see which tablet people were buying a couple of months ago, or read about TV deals in the latest "which TV?" thread, you know where to go.

The board isn't as popular as general chit-chat. That's a shame because it means less views for cool threads like this. But by posting in the wrong place because Tech is too quiet, you're becoming part of the problem. It's the opposite of selfless.

And there are no double standards, it didn't even click that Minecraft wasn't in PC talk, it is now.

Tech like this is become broad enough to be less specific than this, though. I say that not even knowing where this came from, but I'd chance at guessing General Chit Chat.

I remember seeing something about this on the news/some newsy kinda show recently but I didn't pay enough attention to it, what makes it better/worse than competition tablets other than the price point? Am I right thinking it's wifi only etc? I barely know anything even about the regular Kindle as it is.

The biggest reason why I'm excited about the Fire, and most friends people I've spoken to feel this, is that a major content company is behind this.

So many tablets are released that have reasonable specifications, but then sit and idle.

Where as with the Fire you have this huge library of content that can be delivered.

Considering that the same company is behind the device (and largely the software) and the content you know that it will be effectively utilised on the device.

In all honesty, it's the same reason why Apple products are usually so great.

Except this is obviously cheaper.

they might not make money on the product, but they will make money overall... Think about it.... you have to buy books to go on the bloody thing =P

Saying that I'm getting one... its on my Christmas list, yay. Got the app on my iPhone to try out for a bit and decided to take the plunge!

I think that's already been said quite a bit.

And I don't think they'll be out before Christmas over here.

Hope they are though... but doubt it.