NEurope
Ellmeister

Facebook haters gonna hate

I don't think they've ever said timelines would be optional. From my understanding they will start rolling out to everyone within the next few weeks. It's really a lot nicer than the old wall anyway.

True, it does look nicer than the old way. More cleaner, tidier etc. I signed up to it last night, so hopefully soon, i should see the new timeline scheme on my profile.

Is it replacing the wall? That's not the impression I got.

It's replacing the profile of yourself, putting things into boxes as such.

One thing I don't understand:

Why do I have posts from the last hour or so, one form Wednesday, some random ones form the last day, one from an hour ago, one from 36 minutes ago then the rest from two hours onwards.

And the stuff on the top right is retarded. I do not want to know if a friend likes a status of someone not on my friends list.

It's also highly contradictory. The new sharing by group (stolen from Google+) is built around improving privacy. However, the things you like from anyone's status will appear in the top right section for all your friends. And they haven't updated the privacy for this section, which should be against the law.

I don't want people like my family seeing me liking comments from the like of ReZoureman. So I won't be liking anything until Facebook give us the privacy settings for it.

Yeah, it's all a bit OTT. I don't need everyone passively absorbing information about me.

The new sharing by group (stolen from Google+) is built around improving privacy.

I think FB had it first it was just really well hidden.

I thought what would only appear on the ticker is stuff that can already been seen if I were to look at your profile. So if I can't see you liked rezs 'joke's' then I wouldn't see it in te ticker feed.

I thought what would only appear on the ticker is stuff that can already been seen if I were to look at your profile. So if I can't see you liked rezs 'joke's' then I wouldn't see it in te ticker feed.

Likes don't appear on people's profiles.

Think things are still improving/being worked on. They are currently working on these timeline thingys, so i guess any updates for privacy could be amongst this update.

...and so I can finally tell you guys that I knew this shit was coming. What? I do work for one of the new apps!

We basically sat and watched the Facebook conference at work and have been slaving over our new app for quite some time, which is partly why Facebook changed, but obviously I couldn't tell you guys that.

I think it'll be great more so for people who really do want to use Facebook without having twitter and blogs, to keep it all in one place, obviously you don't have to use all the features and frankly so of it is pretty cool.

Anyway, I like the idea of new Facebook, should be interesting :D

Yeah I've been looking forward to this since the rumours started coming out over the past few months. None of them compare to what they actually announced though, it's pretty cool being able to listen to music at the same time as your friends.

I was watching the conference live... I know Facebook and Zuckerberg try to be a hip and cool organisation but that was a little cringeworthy.

And those Timeline's are shexy! They'll actually encourage me to use Apps as what you do (especially Nike+ which I use a lot, but don't like to post on Facebook) appears in a more pleasing way and not "Look at me everyone, I just ran a 4 minute mile!" sort of way.

There is one good change. Facebook has now added a "music" section. Choosing to listen to a song will open it in Spotify (which also works in the background, so it doesn't take you off the Facebook page to do so).

Still, with Facebook I'm constantly worried about stuff getting posted and me now knowing. So I've now removed my Facebook account from Spotify. Just in case.

Sounds like facebook is becoming a little like the old myspace, allowing tunes to be listened to on the profiles of friends. Another stolen idea courtasy of facebook.

So, I got access to the new profile earlier today, and it's actually amazing. It lets you see so much and you can even post details about things like breaking a bone, buying a car, moving house, through systems other than status updates

Pretty creepy and awesome at the same time

I can't actually remove Spotify from my feed. It keeps failing every time I try. I fucking hate this. Short it the shit out.

I'll have a look when i get home, see if they have added the new profile look to my page yet.

I'll have a look when i get home, see if they have added the new profile look to my page yet.

New profile doesn't go live until next friday unless you're signed up as a developer

Question. If I'm on a message with loads of people on Facebook and someone is pissing me off, is there any way I can ignore just them in the message?

You can remove the app, though I don't know yet if you can stop friends posting, it's all a bit up in the air.

I have to say it's nice to see some of the appreciating it, specially after today.

New profile doesn't go live until next friday unless you're signed up as a developer

It does look pretty nifty.

And something just dawned on me: why am I even bothered about hiding all this (rather trivial) stuff? The only thing they can really tell is that "I'm a nerd"...which, if they're friends with me, they already know anyway.

You can remove the app, though I don't know yet if you can stop friends posting, it's all a bit up in the air.

I have to say it's nice to see some of the appreciating it, specially after today.

I like the idea it's just I don't want everyone to know how much I listen to Daphne and Celeste.

Do you know why Spotify pretty much decided to say "F*** you. We don't want you here" to everyone who doesn't like Facebook but wants to sign up for Spotify?

The decision to only allow new accounts via Facebook just seems like a really odd one.

(Spotify is still the best thing ever).

I like the idea it's just I don't want everyone to know how much I listen to Daphne and Celeste.

You can turn off posting onto your wall, but it's a bit tricky, sorry we've basically been told to use what you guys do without any proper mess around before it was launched, so I'm as stumped as you!

I do think it's great you guys do seem to like it, that's exactly what we want, people to love sharing music with other people even if it's embarrassing, but today I spent the day being yelled at for it.

/sigh.

Cube - we wanted to be able to share music and Facebook was the platform for that, I'm not sure why they decided to remove the option to make an account without Facebook, but I'm sure there's a logical one somewhere. :)

Edited by nightwolf

Agreed. It needs options. Like "post all listens", "only post listens from certain playlists" and "manually post listens".

Sounds like facebook is becoming a little like the old myspace, allowing tunes to be listened to on the profiles of friends. Another stolen idea courtasy of facebook.

Read it again. This idea is new to social networks and definitely isn't MySpace-esque. The music doesn't start playing automatically, it tells people what you're listening to and if they want to they can listen along with you and it will tell others that you're doing so.

As for "stealing ideas". You do realise that this is something pretty much every company ever does? It's called benchmarking. Without it the Internet would pretty much suck as would all technology today. You take the best parts of someone elses products and put it into your own and boom, you've got an even better product.

And as for people saying they hate facebook making pointless changes. Without these changes Facebook, and every other website, would look exactly as it did the first time it came out. Without changes they can never update it, add extra functionality or make it look better. People went crazy when Facebook first integrated wall posts with status updates but how many people actually remember this now?

I am still waiting for any changes to appear on my facebook page... so far it still doesn't look any different heh.

Also I assume the Spotify app will only work in countries where Spotify is actually supported?