NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Mario Tennis Open

The only thing that concerns me is the inclusion of those banana-shots...The cube version was ruined (imo) by outrageous special moves, especially as the original felt like quite a 'pure' tennis game. Well...as pure as a tennis game can be when it's played by plumbers, ghosts and pink dinosaur things.

I still rate Smash Tennis on the SNES as the ultimate Tennis game, I really hope Namco revives that one day.

In with daftada, the slice is just game-ruining in my opinion.

I love tennis game. I love mario tennis 64. I'm desperate for this to be closer to that, but now I'm losing all hope :( Single cart download is amazing news, as is online play. But if the core mechanics are silly then it will be a massive shame!

Does online play only include 1 vs 1, or can you play doubles aswell?
It's up to 4 Players online, so you can play doubles too. :)

I think online play is going to be pretty great on this. :yay:

You could curve the ball in Mario Tennis 64 though... although not to that extent.

I was hugely reminded of the N64 game watching that trailer (certain shots aside). Character models could be improved I feel.

Mario Tennis 64 is easily the best one so far. Minimal mayhem is definitely the best way for them to make a quality tennis game. In MT 64 there was the "Mario Kart mode" where you had power ups available - they should take note and keep the all out madness confined to a secondary mode instead of letting it take centre stage again, as happened on the GC.

As for the RPG mode, it really does need to return, doesn't it! It was great fun going from fledgling varsity player and through the ranks. :grin: Imo, Mario Golf GBC was superior to Mario Tennis GBC but they were both quality. Never owned either on GBA but didn't love what I played of em, feeling they came out a bit soon after the GBC versions for me - as I truly played the Mario sports games on GBC to death.

Another thing that peeved me a bit: it was more difficult to make your character decent for transferring to the N64 version. In Mario Golf the balance was fine but in Mario Tennis I thought it was really difficult to make a character that could be competitive on the N64. You would be wiping the floor with all your GBC opposition then be a complete weakling after transferring over! :(

Why is there no news of Mario/Mii Golf yet! Sort it out Nintendo!!

@darksnowman I absolutely adored Mario Tennis 64, spent a vast ammount of time on it in single and multiplayer, great game!... But I can't remember a weapons mode? :wtf:

Either I never ventured into it, or I've just completely forgotten about it?

Edited by Retro_Link

Yeah I'm with the mario tennis 64 crowd. Incred?ble game. Really wanted this to be more like that, but the banana curl put paid to that! I'm sure it'll still be a lot of fun though

I love Mario Tennis on the N64. I remember going through as all the players to get the star bonus thing on each of them. Still have that game and it's one of the few games I was able to play with my family.

Off Screen Gameplay

Hmm...

This has slightly dipped in my expectations.

Firstly, touch-screen controls can sod off...

But I hope there's a more standard gameplay mode without all the fancy, but somehow I doubt it!

Edited by Retro_Link

Yeah I agree Retro.

That video has done nothing for me what so ever.

All looks really crazy (too crazy) and mapping buttons to the touch screen is not really what I had in mind.

Like you say though, hopefully there will be modes where it is just simply tennis - with Mario characters. Why do I get the feeling we're not gonna get that... :shakehead

Looks like a pretty vanilla version of Mario Tennis to me. :hehe: I've been reading some of the previews and how the touch screen works is for colour co-ordination. Every shot now has a colour rather than just top spin (orange) and slice (blue) as before. So, if you noticed there were circles frequently appearing on the court, well the colour of the circle matched the colour of a shot, which is how they are labelled on the touch screen. If you get in the circle and play the depicted colour of shot then you get the mega curve or mega lob, etc.

Also, kudos to that guy for using the d-pad. :p

Still no news on any career or RPG mode though. :cry:

Hmm...

This has slightly dipped in my expectations.

It hasn't dipped in my expectations.. only because I actually expect so little of it :hmm:

The N64 version was a great tennis game (though I do, admittedly, enjoy it less now than I used to all those years ago..) but the GC sequel seemed much worse and the special moves did ruin it in some ways..

For me, this has always looked much too similar to Mario Power Tennis and I just can't muster up any excitement for the game whatsoever. For those craving a more 'serious' game of tennis, I'd rather Nintendo just gave us a new Super Tennis!

I think people are forgetting how ridiculous power tennis was. That video looked like a standard rally to me. No crazy powerups. Looks like a normal game of tennis =\

That video looks great! I don't see what the problem is? Just tennis with a few cartoony elements and Mario characters.

The problem is that it's still a tennis game. This game needs more kart racing to be interesting. :blank:

Leave the forum Magnus. :p

I just think it deviates too much from 'normal tennis'.

Like people said the N64 version was just tennis with sprinklings of Nintendo goodness.

Don't know why we can't just have that? All this making a shot and the ball swirling in strange directions is a bit strange.

It will hopefully be good fun to play but time will tell.

BURN THE HERETIC.

Oh, Mario Tennis? Fine, let's get back to that. :heh:

I still say it needs less tennis and more kart racing.