Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Suggestions

Ashley

The code is below, if anyone can figure out how to ensure it has an IF factor (in essence) then you're welcome but if not stays as is.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/{param}"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/{param}" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

• 1 month later...

If there are too many YT videos embedded on one page in the Funny Videos thread, then the videos on that page will no longer work.

Seems that a good way to prevent that from happening would be for people to not have the videos in their quoteboxes. Or, alternatively, people should try not to post so many videos in the one post to begin with. ::shrug:

Guest Stefkov

Can I suggest you make it law that if someone were to reply after someone and in the quoted post they have massive images, they can't quote them unless it's at least a post or two down the page?

It's not really nice looking at the some images then right after looking at them again, and when there's 4 or more images and they're not exactly small it's not very exciting to look at. Also when a person quotes the OP, which has a bunch of text and a few images, so the OP is quite large, in the second post and then someone quotes the OP again under this second post. It might just be annoying to look at for me.

I agree its unsightly and I used to edit them (although admit I've gotten lazy) but we can't implement some way to prevent it.

Can't it be done the same way quoting works?

Like when you quote a post with a quote in its removed?

Could you do this with the image tag? [noparse]image[/noparse]

Can't it be done the same way quoting works?

Like when you quote a post with a quote in its removed?

Could you do this with the image tag? [noparse]image[/noparse]

The quote thing is an automatic vB thing, not something we ever set up.

I can certainly look into it tomorrow though :)

(although sometimes a quoted image helps but I agree if someone quotes in say, Hot People Thread, it becomes a bit tiresome)

Guest Stefkov

It's really only when a post is quoted right after the post they are quoting.

If it's say two or three posts down where the discussion has diverted from the post it's alright, but when you see the same thing posted 3 times....

I was gonna say something along the lines of disabling the quote button if the post is gonna be right after it, but then I have no idea how to make that work, or even if it's possible/stupid idea.

I agree with what's been said above.

There isn't really much of a point to quoting the OP, or the poster above, unless you were to quote a part of it because you wanted to emphasise on a particular point in that post.

But you can't prevent people from doing that. A lot of people here don't edit their posts after unless there's a glaring mistake.

Well that's just it, really; people learning to be a bit better at quoting. I try to delete the parts of the post I'm quoting so that only the specific bit I'm referring to is left. I don't see why it's up to the admins to sort this when individuals can chip in with an extra 30 seconds and do it themselves!

Guest Stefkov

I'm not saying it's up to the admins, I was suggesting maybe putting it in the rules, if anyone even reads them.

I do the selective quoting at times aswell, but since typing my initial post here I've seen it done a few times in the MPOTD thread, the image gallery and now the second post in Flinkys new thread which is the Love Thread reborn.

The Quick Reply box is only and 2 inches away from the Quote button...

Thing is Jay, you say people need to chip in an extra 30 secs to do that. How do you get that in the mind set of a person who types in txt speak and/or people who don't know the difference between their, there and they're?

You're right dude; same with "could of" and "could have"... but putting it in the rules isn't going to change how the individual posts; it will just give the mods/admins more to do/ignore :/ The people who are generally idiots? Well just rain hate upon them and eventually they'll realise teh only way to win back affection is through careful grammar and editage :)

Guest Stefkov

(In the past few posts no-one has quoted the post above. How it looks nice)

You're also right dude. You could make a poll asking who actually read the rules when they signed up. It probably wouldn't have nice results.

What could you do to spice up the rules?

These three pictures.

Guest Maase

lol, those images are funny, are there more? They own...

Still, i probably made mistakes like that a lot, but im not English Speaker, so i have an excuse :D