NEurope
Mr_Odwin

Comic Book Discussion Issue #2

Picked up the relaunched Uncanny X-Men trade this week.

I like the idea of the extinction team - the analogy to WMD's is smart and I love the arrogance of Cyclops with the sheer weight of their power behind him. I think I prefer Wolverine's side of the split for now, though. It's a more creative pitch and the first arc there was a lot of fun.

yeah I must say I've preferred the Wolverine book rather than the Cyclops one (plus Land is on Uncanny at the moment so bleh).

Anyone read the Shazam back up in JL #9? Is it just me or does Billy Batson show all the hallmarks of a kid that was sexually abused?

The Green Lantern animated series is absolutely awesome. Anyone watching it?

Also, off topic, Tron Uprising is also brilliant.

Just received another copy of Avengers Assemble Vol.2 from the Book Depository. I guess they must have sent the first and not switched it to dispatched, I did wonder why it was still stuck on Processing.

Sorry mate, already going to someone else :p

Amazing Spider-Man #700 To Change The Marvel Universe In A Seismic Fashion

It seems an age since C2E2. But an interview conducted by CBR with Dan Slott at the show has only just gone online.

In which Slott stated that Marvel Editor-In-Chief Axel Alonso has been contacting other creators on other Marvel books to ensure they reflect… whatever change is coming with Amazing Spider-Man #700 towards the end of the year.

"What happens in #700 — everything I’ve written my entire career in comics, nothing has had this big an effect on a character than what happens in “Spider-Man” #700. Other creators will say, “This will break the Internet in half,” and “This will do this” and “This will do that” — this is for real! This is my biggest whack at the comic book piñata. I’m breaking it and all the candy’s coming out. It’s not going back together. Something really seismic is going to happen in “Amazing Spider-Man” #700. So, you’re going to have “AvX” happen and shortly after, “Amazing Spider-Man” #700 and the Marvel Universe that you’re going to see after that — it’s not a reboot. There is no reboot. But the effects of “AvX” and the event that happens in “Spider-Man” #700 are so big that you’ll be looking at quite a different landscape after the seismic changes, he said, jiggling his neck fat."

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/05/21/amazing-spider-man-700-to-change-the-marvel-universe-in-a-seismic-fashion/

Apparently him and Zeb Wells will not be back on Avenging Spider-Man as their story was too big for Avenging Spider-Man and it will be a separate book.

Of course no word on when that'll be out though!

Ah, cool. Fingers crossed I guess.

I'd love to see him do The Flash or summit. Wouldn't be surprised if he was exclusive to Marvel, though.

I caught up with Avenging Spider-Man the other day, ive really enjoyed it. Looking forward to getting it in trade.

I reckon DC are going to make Shazam gay./Off Topic

Ah, cool. Fingers crossed I guess.

I'd love to see him do The Flash or summit. Wouldn't be surprised if he was exclusive to Marvel, though.

Pretty sure he is. Great artist, though, especially on Spider-Man and X-Men stuff. He's kind of linked to the 90s for me but he's obviously got real talent, unlike Liefield.

I reckon DC are going to make Shazam gay./Off Topic

Well they said its a soon to be returning character so I guess it depends if they count him as already back with the backup in Justice League.

While we're talking about this, I hate the way they've gone about this. Ive got no problem DC introducing gay characters or even just having previously straight ones question their sexuality but to just basically flip a switch and say "ok this guy is gay now" is just a crappy way of doing it.

Aren't they creatively free to do that in the nu-dcu though? Marvel did a similar thing with the ultimate version of Colossus, which actually worked out really well.

I don't see the problem. Comics are a product of their social context and it's just unrealistic to let characters who will never age remain static.

I've got a much bigger problem with Amanda Waller becoming thin. That's just body fascism.

Earth 2 - Okay.

Justice League - Awesome.

Erm. What else have I caught up on? Ultimate Marvel Graphic Novel collection was Astonishing X-Men part 1 (amazing, as always. One of the best X-runs I say), and Strange World or something with Captain Britain.

I am excited about Spider-Man. Ends of the Earth has been amazing so far./

Oh. Fuck. Venom is absolutely fucking quality to the max. Further cementing Rick Remender as one of my favourites.

This is Spider-Man post Spider-Island? That event was the best last year so I'm looking forward to the catch up. Are the trades out now?

Not yet, no. Ends of the Earth is still going, and I'd say its possibly on par with Spider-Island because the villains are more traditional, but it still retains the awesomeness of Dan Slott, and it has Ramos and Caselli.

And you should read Venom. Especially the last four or so issues. Its getting very symbiotey, and I fucking ADORE the obscure symbiote characters. It was like Remender was writing this story just for me.

Only just had a look at all the 'Avengers Art Appreciation' variants from April. Some are stunning.

The_Mighty_Thor_13_Avengers_Art_Appreciation_variant.jpg

Wolveine_and_the_X-Men_9_Avengers_Art_Appreciation_variant.jpg

FF_17_Avengers_Art_Appreciation_variant.jpg

Uncanny_X-Force_24_Avengers_Art_Appreciation_variant.jpg

^ This is my fave, since it feels like it could be a real scene, like all silent/in a comedown after a close battle with Ultron.

Secret_Avengers_26_Avengers_Art_Appreciation_variant.jpg