NEurope
Mr_Odwin

Comic Book Discussion Issue #2

Does anyone know when Invincible Ultimate Collection 8 is out? Just bought 7 and dying to catch up but I really want the hard backs. Kind of annoyingly, 7 left off at the exact point I lost track of the monthlies so I've not read anything new in a long long time.

Does anyone know when Invincible Ultimate Collection 8 is out? Just bought 7 and dying to catch up but I really want the hard backs. Kind of annoyingly, 7 left off at the exact point I lost track of the monthlies so I've not read anything new in a long long time.

I think the TPB's slot into the hardcovers, so you could get volume (15, I think...Get Smart) to kick off.

Volume 8 should go up to issue 92 or so I imagine, but it hasn't been solicited yet (Image just released their solicitations for November last night)....and the story/cover for Invincible #98 (leading into 100) sounds....so god damn bonerific.

So, its at least 4 months out.

Just finally finished reading Avengers Vol.3. I understand the love everyone has for Busiek and Perez's run on it and they probably did do the best stories of the lot but the writing did feel a bit old fashioned, it was quite noticeable when Busiek left and all the characters stopped explaining what was going on all the time. It has been nice though catching up with some Avengers history that I didnt know about before Disassembled happened.

Now that ive gone digital my comic collection has gotten pretty big so im thinking next I'll either start from the beginning in Amazing Spider-Man or ive got from around #300 onwards of Uncanny X-Men which would be cool to read.

Wonder Woman #12 is absolutely stunning. This WW reboot has been brilliant from start to end. Better than Batman.

And her new powers? WTF?! Brilliant.

Which new powers?

The flying? If so its not like she couldnt do that pre-dcnu, this is just a better explanation of why.

Nope, her bracelets acting as shackles for her real power.

On an aside, I hope she can't fly permanently now - I prefer if she couldn't.

Ah right, thats something im not too bothered about really. The flying though, i'd like her to keep. Wonder Woman can fly and they finally gave us a good reason why, Id rather not lose that already.

I agree though that it is a good book, one of the rare few I enjoy from the DCnU.

Im probably going to drop a load of my DC books soon, just keep the core titles I enjoy. Im just not enjoying the new universe so I'll stick with Marvel. Their Marvel NOW stuff (Stupid name) feels a bit unnecessary but a lot of the shake up stuff does seem interesting and im happy enough as its not a reboot and all still in universe.

Currently I only get Wonder Woman, Batman (+ Batman and Robin), The Flash, Justice League (But basically only because of the Shazam backup), Dial H, Animal Man and Swamp Thing.

I guess that's quite a few really.

I'll probably stick with Justice League, Batman, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman and Aquaman. Maybe Birds of Prey but im not decided on that yet.

What do you guys think of Thief of Thieves? I think its brilliant. Will make a fantastic T.V. show, especially if they keep some of the quirkiness/editing style.

You're kidding!? Its plotted/co-written by Kirkman, with guest writers for each arc. First one was by Nick Spencer. Its been picked up by AMC to develop as a TV show. Been wildly popular, into fourth printings etc.

IMG111035.jpg

And whilst I'm here - anyone not reading Saga is doing themselves a grave disservice. I would go as far as to say one of the best and most sprawlingly epic-feeling (opening arcs) I've ever read.

Speaking of epic sagas, Rez, have you read Dune yet.

Do it.

taken.jpg

I had forgotten just how often X-Men comics in the 90s crossed over with each other, as I said before I'm reading Uncanny #300ish onwards and it feels like every other issue is supposed to continue on in another book. I know it still happens now but its at least mostly relegated to X-Men events. It would be nice to know why Wolverine went all feral or how Cyclops survived falling into a massive hole lol.

I had forgotten just how often X-Men comics in the 90s crossed over with each other, as I said before I'm reading Uncanny #300ish onwards and it feels like every other issue is supposed to continue on in another book. I know it still happens now but its at least mostly relegated to X-Men events. It would be nice to know why Wolverine went all feral or how Cyclops survived falling into a massive hole lol.

This was the reason why I have a massive amount of comics up in my loft. I felt the need to read every single X-title just so I could keep up with the events. I ended up having collections of Uncanny X-Men, X-Men, Cable, Bishop, Gambit, Wolverine, X-Factor, X-Force, Generation X, Unlimited X-men, X-man and whatever mini series they were throwing out at the time.

I eventually got sick of it and quit comics just after the Apocalypse: The Twelve storyline, which was around 2000/2001. The comics kinda lost the plot for me around then anyway. Nothing could beat the storylines of AoA, Onslaught Saga and Operation: Zero Tolerance. Ah, happy days. :D

I think I had just mostly forgotten how it was like that. I started off with singles but soon move to exclusively buying trades to save room. Now that ive switched over to digital comics im back on singles and remembering just how bad things were back then. I dont think I can be bothered either to get copies of all the tie ins so I'll just have to live with it.

Still, it is nice to be reading the X-Men during their blue and gold era costumes, especially Cyclops, this was my favourite costume for him.

JL #12 Cover

fl-justice-league_510x784.jpg?848685

So, I know this will probably annoy everyone but this makes sense to me. Plus, I really dislike Lois Lane.

I do find it amusing that in the same month Wonder Woman is kissing Ares on the cover of her ongoing.

So Justice League wasnt JLA without America then and it looks like the rumors might be true about Geoff John leaving Aquaman. :hmm:

JLA_2013_02.jpg

DC Comics announced at their DC Entertainment-All Access panel Sunday at Fan Expo Toronto that a new Justice League will be forming in 2013.

Justice League of America will be an ongoing series written by Geoff Johns and drawn by David Finch.

"This is a very different kind of team book,” said Geoff Johns in a press release. “On first glance, people might think the heroes of the Justice League of America stand in the shadows of Superman, Wonder Woman and the rest of the Justice League, but Green Arrow, Katana, Martian Manhunter, the new Green Lantern, Stargirl, Vibe, Hawkman and Catwoman thrive in the shadows.

“They're underdogs who have everything to prove and something to lose. They're a team of unlikely heroes who will help one another discover they're as A-List as anybody -- yes, even Vibe. Though getting there won't be easy.

“Why they're formed, why each member joins, what they're after and who the society of villains is they're trying to take apart will all be clear in the first issue when it hits early 2013. David and I are really focused on delving deep into what it's like to not be a member of the big seven and why, sometimes, the grass isn't always greener on the other side.”

If I'm totally honest, I've lost interest in Aquaman. Just flicked through my issues now, which I was about to catch up on and realised I have #11 but didn't even bother to pick up #10. I can't really say I'm a massive fan of Reis.

(WTF, I think Reis is a fantastic artist) there is so much detail and it looks like so much effort is put in.

Dante, what is this Aquaman, Johns leaving rumour, and why does JLA support that?

Eh, it's something about the excess detail that I'm personally not a fan of. I like artists with a distinct, slightly exaggerated style like Capullo, Chiang, Manapul, Darwyn Cooke and Joe Mad.They're probably my favourite artists.

Speaking of drawning in comics, this is a pretty awesome minute-long watch.

Jim Lee's Justice League Time-Lapse

I wonder how long it took him.

Can someone explain to me please what DC's annuals are? Where do they fit in exactly?

Can someone explain to me please what DC's annuals are? Where do they fit in exactly?

Annuals are special followup of some comics issues without using numbers to fillin the blank market sales of the fifth week for stores.

xnsr4m.jpg

:sad:

Edited by Dante

from my childhood i love comic most especially the editions on the characters like

mandrake

phantom

james bond

superman

mad series