NEurope
Mr_Odwin

Comic Book Discussion Issue #2

so latest issue of Walking Dead (#98)

Abraham bites the dust fairly unceremoniously, Eugene finally shows some fight (winced at this!). All ramping up to the bloodbath that will be issue 100

The Walking Dead has been sublime recently. Fucking not happy about #98 though, although it kind of....

Could have only gone one way I guess. Well, it was surprising that the weaker of the two survived! But yeah, killing Tyreese, the strong supporting male and now Abraham, the strong supporting male - nightmare! I hope Darryl comes into it soon, we need a new strong male supporter (child Carl aside) but..........fuck, was annoyed and sad, loved him.

Eugene finally showing some fucking balls (HA!) was amazing, and a great scene.

Fuck though, 100 is gonna be a nightmare.

damn Jubilee causing comics to be a day late this week!

really looking forward to the end of the current Morning Glories arc

I thought Before Watchmen's Minutemen #1 was rather good.

DC's Out:

Resurrection Man

Captain Atom

JLI

Voodoo

DC's In:

Sword and Sorcery

Team Seven

Phantom Stranger

Talon

DC's September Zero issues month sure has alot guns on the covers:

GL_Cv0_PREVIEWS_final2_0.jpg?d58414

earth2cv0previews.jpg

Edited by Dante

so the final volume of League of Extraordinary Gentleman came out today, it was a really good story to finish the series

Loved all the pop culture references as well from Lost to 24 to Harry Potter plus a nod to V for Vendetta as well

so Marvel have been taking notes from DC's relaunch and are trying one of their own

For months, Marvel Comics executives have been promising a major shake-up for their stories in the wake of the current "Avengers Vs. X-Men" event, though they've also promised the moves won't be a reboot of the Marvel U's long-running stories a la DC's New 52 initiative. Today, the scope of Marvel's plans came into light with the announcement of October's "Marvel NOW" initiative via Entertainment Weekly's Comic-Con themed issue.

In what will surely be seen as the publisher's response to DC Comics' New 52 which set it sights on new and lapsed readers with issue #1 jumping on points, Marvel NOW is being promised as an easy entry point into the classic Marvel U. Throughout October, Marvel will launch a number of brand new series -- often more than one a week -- with additional new series and relaunches for some classic books rolling out through February of next year. Expanding on CBR's coverage from earlier this morning,these will include the following, announced in EW:

"Uncanny Avengers" by Rick Remender and John Cassaday starring a team composed of Captain America, Wolverine and others from the company's two powerhouse franchises battling the mutant-hating Red Skull.

"All New X-Men" by Brian Michael Bendis and Stuart Immonen realigning the mutant team in the wake of "AvX" as the original five X-Men are mysteriously brought to the present day. This title will launch in November.

"Avengers" by Jonathan Hickman and Jerome Opena, which is light on specific details aside from a roster of 18 heroes in a bi-weekly comic that seems to be Hickman-esque rethinking of the Avengers core mission in the vein of the writer's "Fantastic Four" run.

In addition, the publisher is promising other creative shakeups outside the shuffling of their big name talent on their big name franchises. Marvel NOW books will feature new "cinematic" cover designs, and their characters will sport redesigned costumes, many shown off in a new piece by Chief Creative Officer Joe Quesada, a scan of which appeared on the CBR forums in the early hours of this morning.

"It's a bridge book...something that can delve into both worlds," Remender told the magazine of how "Uncanny Avengers" bridges the pre and post-AvX Marvel U.

Of "All-New X-Men," Bendis explained, "It's not a time-travel story like 'Back To The Future.' It's a time-travel story like 'Pleasantville,'" adding "Here's the big question that they original X-Men are gonna be faced with: 'We're gonna grow up, and this is what we're going to get? That is not acceptable.'"

article

as far as Remender and Cassaday being on Uncanny Avengers, I think the following adequately conveys my feelings

1726009-shut_up_and_take_my_money_super.jpg

it'll be interesting to see the other books that come out of this, I know that Brubaker is giving up Captain America but he's focusing more on his creator owned stuff now. Plus he wasn't too happy at Marvel's insistence on moving more comics to twice a month

here's some of the character redesigns for Marvel Now!

Marvel-comic-con-2012_1000.jpg

Interiors are Cassaday's strongpoint, I'm crying to see them.

SDCC 12 - DC confirms Stephanie Brown won’t appear in Smallville

Following some confusion at Friday’s Superman panel, DC Comics confirmed today at Comic-Con International that Stephanie Brown won’t be appearing as Nightwing in Smallville Season 11. As rumored, she’ll be replaced by Barbara Gordon.

The introduction of the one-time Spoiler turned Robin turned Batgirl alongside Batman in DC’s digital-first series was announced last month, giving some consolation to fans frustrated that the character has yet to be seen in the New 52. But even as Comic-Con began, a rumor emerged that the publisher had changed its mind.

On Friday, the fan who made headlines at last year’s convention as “the Batgirl of San Diego,” attended DC’s Superman panel in hopes of getting answers, but walked away with none. So today she returned for “The New Wave” panel, where Co-Publisher Dan DiDio delivered the official news: Stephanie Brown is out, and Barbara Gordon is in.

“That is true, and there’s a reason for it,” DiDio said in response to the fan’s question, noting that he supported the change from the original plan, as it falls in line with the Smallville practice of bringing the iconic versions of DC heroes into that television world. “If we’re going to introduce a character into the ‘Smallville’ world, I want them to be the most iconic versions like Barbara Gordon or Dick Grayson, and maybe down the road we can do more.”

Of course, the iconic version of Nightwing would be Dick Grayson, and not Barbara Gordon.

It’s unclear when exactly DC made the decision, as Stephanie Brown’s introduction in Smallville was trumpeted just a month ago at TV Guide, followed three weeks ago by an interview at Comic Book Resources with writer Bryan Q. Miller in which he explained that, “I felt I couldn’t get any deeper into this without having Stephanie somewhere.”

What a dick move from DC on Bryan Q Miller.

Bought myself a cheapish tablet the other week and have fully made the switch over to digital comics now. Im really liking it, its saving me a lot of money and space.

After nearly a decade on the Avengers Bendis finally gives Spider-Man a moment to show why he deserves to be on the team. No idea why it took this long but it was nice to see.

well it's actually Aaron who scripted #9 so you should give him the credit and not Bendis ;)

has anyone else ready Captain Marvel #1? It was really good imo, and as @ReZourceman always goes on about Marvel finding artists from DeviantArt and the like well Dexter Soy, who is the artist here, was found this way and I thought his style worked really well on the book

prv12454_pg3.jpg

And this week saw Hawkeye #1 from Fraction and Aja. Was a great one and done story. I've not read any of the Iron Fist run that they did that I've heard good things about, so I picked this up on the basis of that and I wasn't let down.

Yeah I think I am just so used to Bendis writing the events that I forgot thisbone was being shared.

I did read and enjoy Captain Marvel #1 but I didn't think too much of the art. At times it was good but others pretty bad, too inconsistant. I think there is an image of Captain america which stands out as particularly poor if I remember right.

That artwork is amazing. I am glad to see Marvel doing this.

I am not glad to see Greg Land on Iron Man,....having to cancel it. Thinking about cancelling all Marvel apart from Uncanny Avengers, Ultimate Spidey and Spidey. Its just all fucking bull shit all the time, isn't it. Its always something with them, always relaunching, over saturation, fill in artists constantly and $3.99. I dunno.

Anyway.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck. I caught up on Saga.

(Well I am one issue behind). But Jesus Fucking Christ. It is AMAAAAAAAZing. Seriously, its....just one of the best things ever.

That artwork is amazing. I am glad to see Marvel doing this.

I am not glad to see Greg Land on Iron Man,....having to cancel it. Thinking about cancelling all Marvel apart from Uncanny Avengers, Ultimate Spidey and Spidey. Its just all fucking bull shit all the time, isn't it. Its always something with them, always relaunching, over saturation, fill in artists constantly and $3.99. I dunno.

Anyway.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck. I caught up on Saga.

(Well I am one issue behind). But Jesus Fucking Christ. It is AMAAAAAAAZing. Seriously, its....just one of the best things ever.

I know where you're coming from on Marvel, the fact they're pairing Kieron Gillen up with Land on Iron Man is a straight drop for me, even though Gillen is writing my favourite Marvel book at the moment (Journey Into Mystery).

And my wallet can't really cope with the amount of double shipping they're trying to push on us.

I'll be staying with Daredevil as long as Waid is writing it as his run has been great so far.

Saga is indeed awesome, Staples is killing it on art.

Oh btw San Diego was absolutely outstanding, met so many of my favourite artists and managed to chat to several of them (mentioned you to Ottley and he remembers your name) only paid for a commission from Guillory (got myself a sweet Poyo along with a Tony and Savoy sketch in my Hardcovers), but got free head sketches from Ottley (Invincible), Manapul (Flash), Larsen (Savage Dragon), Dustin Nguyen (Batgirl), Peter Nguyen (Batwoman), Terry Dodson (Dr Strange), David Lloyd (V), Rafa Albuquerque (Skinner Sweet). Also got quick sketches from Gabriel Ba and Fabio Moon in my copy of Daytripper.

Got stuff signed by Snyder, Brubaker, Lemire, Simone, Ottley, Walker, Neal Adams, Layman & Guillory (my Chew #1-5 along with the 2 hardcovers).

panels wise I missed most of the huge panels as the queues were insane, but I did get into all the Image ones I wanted to. Also thanks to a friendly American group I met I got into the Nerd HQ Mystery Panel which included Nathan Fillion, Adam Baldwin, Summer Glau, Zachari Levi, Scott Wolf and Jason Ritter which was awesome

It was an amazing 4 days, got some pictures up on my Facebook page if anyone's interested.

It was a completely overwhelming event and I enjoyed it so much I've got my tickets for next year already in the 2012 attendee presale :)

I know where you're coming from on Marvel, the fact they're pairing Kieron Gillen up with Land on Iron Man is a straight drop for me, even though Gillen is writing my favourite Marvel book at the moment (Journey Into Mystery).

And my wallet can't really cope with the amount of double shipping they're trying to push on us.

I'll be staying with Daredevil as long as Waid is writing it as his run has been great so far.

Saga is indeed awesome, Staples is killing it on art.

Oh btw San Diego was absolutely outstanding, met so many of my favourite artists and managed to chat to several of them (mentioned you to Ottley and he remembers your name) only paid for a commission from Guillory (got myself a sweet Poyo along with a Tony and Savoy sketch in my Hardcovers), but got free head sketches from Ottley (Invincible), Manapul (Flash), Larsen (Savage Dragon), Dustin Nguyen (Batgirl), Peter Nguyen (Batwoman), Terry Dodson (Dr Strange), David Lloyd (V), Rafa Albuquerque (Skinner Sweet). Also got quick sketches from Gabriel Ba and Fabio Moon in my copy of Daytripper.

Got stuff signed by Snyder, Brubaker, Lemire, Simone, Ottley, Walker, Neal Adams, Layman & Guillory (my Chew #1-5 along with the 2 hardcovers).

panels wise I missed most of the huge panels as the queues were insane, but I did get into all the Image ones I wanted to. Also thanks to a friendly American group I met I got into the Nerd HQ Mystery Panel which included Nathan Fillion, Adam Baldwin, Summer Glau, Zachari Levi, Scott Wolf and Jason Ritter which was awesome

It was an amazing 4 days, got some pictures up on my Facebook page if anyone's interested.

It was a completely overwhelming event and I enjoyed it so much I've got my tickets for next year already in the 2012 attendee presale :)

Holy shit that is awesome, thats great to get all those sketches. Do you think they did that because of how far you had come?

God damn right, Ottley better remember me, I speak to him on FB enough. :p

Shit. That sounds so badass. Do you have pics of the sketches on FB? Add me! facebook.com/ReZourceman

Fox, Marvel talk character swap to keep 'Daredevil' going; Joe Carnahan choice to direct

The clock is ticking for 20th Century Fox to put its DAREDEVIL reboot into production before character rights revert to Marvel — but Fox chairman Tom Rothman and Marvel brass have been talking about a tradeoff that would allow the comicbook franchise to remain at Fox past its Oct. 10 deadline, report Variety's Jeff Sneider, Rachel Abrams and Marc Graser. One reason for the backroom dealings: Fox is in discussions with Joe Carnahan to direct what’s been described as a “Frank Miller-esque, hardcore 70s thriller” take on blind Hell’s Kitchen superhero Matt Murdock — a vision that would deviate from Disney/Marvel’s family-friendly tone. Carnahan has yet to receive an official offer, though multiple sources tell Variety that he’s the choice. But Fox also has something Marvel wants: Sources say Marvel would give Fox more time to make DAREDEVIL in return for the rights to use characters from the FANTASTIC FOUR universe, including the giant, world-devouring supervillain Galactus, rumored to play a key role in future Marvel pics. Marvel is also eyeing future use of Silver Surfer, who in the comicbooks brokered a deal to serve as Galactus’ herald in order to save his home planet. (Fox owns rights to the Silver Surfer as part of its deal for FANTASTIC FOUR, which the studio is also rebooting with CHRONICLE helmer Josh Trank.) At this point, the ball is said to be in Fox’s court, with talks expected to resume later this week. But as of right now, Fox needs to start lensing by the Oct. 10 deadline to keep DAREDEVIL in-house. Neither Fox, Marvel nor reps for Carnahan would comment on the dealings.

http://www.showblitz.com/2012/08/fox-marvel-talk-character-swap-to-keep-daredevil-going-joe-carnahan-choice-to-direct.html

I'd rather have Daredevil in the hands of MARVEL than Surfer and Galactus. But....I guess its better news than no news.

Holy shit that is awesome, thats great to get all those sketches. Do you think they did that because of how far you had come?

God damn right, Ottley better remember me, I speak to him on FB enough. :p

Shit. That sounds so badass. Do you have pics of the sketches on FB? Add me! facebook.com/ReZourceman

with regard to the sketches I just asked nicely and usually bought something from their table (either a trade or a print) but not all, I just caught Manapul on the Sunday since he was hardly at the table and he was only really doing them quickly. Some of them were just at the DC booth doing sketches for the line.

394762_10151155050156779_970216425_n.jpg

is probably my favourite :)

428894_10151155049781779_951871233_n.jpg600119_10151155050056779_60434487_n.jpg373827_10151155049671779_1273611289_n.jpg215512_10151155049936779_296729959_n.jpg

others are on my FB page

I did manage to chat to David Marquez (Ultimate Spiderman) on the Sunday after he picked out my Glaswegian accent, turns out he lived in Aberdeen for a while when he was a kid.

My only disappointment was not getting to get stuff signed by Kirkman (lines were huge and too much to do!) and missing out on Humberto Ramos' commission list!

oh and I ran into Jonathan Ross twice on the show floor! Slumming it like the rest of us with his giant bag over his shoulder :)

already starting to save up so I can take more money next year to get a full Dodson commission if he's there!

So is anyone actually reading Spider-Men then? I am enjoying what we are getting, I just kind of feel like it shouldnt have been an event. I think this would have worked better as an actual arc in Ultimate Spider-Man so what happens would actually last and affect the characters. I know its still considered canon anyway but you feel if it was actually in the book it would be more so. Also, as its Bendis its a bit slow but he really does get that world.