NEurope
Ashley

Wacom Inkling

That awkward moment when you're not sure if this belongs in tech or creative.

Wacom announced this yesterday (I think, or at least this video was released yesterday) and I really want it. Due out in October for £150.

Thoughts?

Does look very interesting but I could have used a bit more information from the video on how it works. I'll keep an eye on it though.

Wacom also uploaded a number of 'how to use it' videos alongside this that may be worth perusing.

Just watched the Using Inkling one, they arent the best videos for explaining this. What we could really use is someone actually using the device, preferably making some mistakes in the drawing as well because im wondering how thats gonna work.

Ah I think for that you'll have to wait until its actually out. But at least only (just over) a month to go!

Just watched the Using Inkling one, they arent the best videos for explaining this. What we could really use is someone actually using the device, preferably making some mistakes in the drawing as well because im wondering how thats gonna work.

The thing is I think this is mostly for finished drawings, not for sketches. With a pen there's no way to erase stuff, at least not on paper.

However once you upload it to your computer, you could always change things about the drawing or rectify mistakes by playing with the vector lines.

So yeah, I imagine you would draw your image in pencil first, then go over it with this pen to ink it. Or something along those lines.

Unless of course you're an amazingly good artist and you can just whip out a perfect drawing out of thin air. =P

That really should have occured to me given the name of the device is the "Inkling"! I think they should have shown that though in the video so that morons like myself would understand.

I really would love to try this out!

I now have an intuos and I really love it, but if this really works, it would be so awesome!

It's almost like the next step that combines traditional with digital art. Creating layers on your paper seems really interesting, I can think that gives lots of possibilities. If you just scan a drawing you really have to cut everyting if you want your drawing separated in layers on your pc.

So I'm really excited for this, but will await reviews first :p

I'm thinking my birthday is in October.

Srsly, though, I'm intrigued. Love the idea. I'll have to think whether I'd really use it to make it worth it. (So probably a no)

I think this is a waste to be honest.

If you're looking at it for just what it is then you're limited to A4 and have a funky circular cut-off.

But looking at the tech behind it, it measures the distance of the pen and the pressure feedback from the pen nib.

Just remove the paper!

Have this thing plugged in all the time and update through the application in real-time.

Then, going a step further, all you'd need to have is this clipped to a cheap hand-held screen and viola(!); you're drawing on a screen - without having to spend two grand on a expensive Cintiq.

Also get rid of the shitty A4 limitation.

Add 50-100 quid to it and you've got a ground breaking product.

Also, this thing is vector based.

Unless you have a perfect curve (and you won't) this thing will create so many useless control points.

Just use a fecking scanner.

Engadget have a nice hands-on:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/12/wacom-inkling-digital-sketch-pen-hands-on-video/

Watch the video there. It’s 10 minutes, but gives you an good idea if this is for you or not.

Although I think the benefits are a bit on the low side, I think ultimately this is a cool and useful gadget, if you can live with the few downsides (carrying that thing with you, no choice in pens).

The greatest feature is that you can export vector images, this would increase your workflow if you deal with those a lot probably. That said, the photoshoppers among us don’t have to deal with scanning and cleaning up anymore it seems.

I think this is the first step to something better in the future (for instance, I can see the receiver being obsolete when they integrate everything in the pen itself, and they could add interchangable tips / pens). That said, I think if you can afford it, early adopters will have a use for this thing.