NEurope
Josh64

Steve Jobs steps down as Apple CEO

It appears Steve Jobs has stepped down as Apple CEO and whilst he gave no reason it is widely believed that it is because of his battle with medical problems over the past seven years.

The Guardian:

"He was diagnosed with neuroendocrine cancer of the pancreas in 2003 and operated on in July 2004. Although he returned to work within a few months, in April 2009 he received a liver transplant. Medical observers suggested that the long-term effects of the required autoimmune drugs could mean that the cancer would return"

Jobs said:

"I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple's CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come."

Full article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/aug/25/jobs-quits-apple

Hopefully this will mean a more even playing field in terms of mind-share, and more competitive pricing.

This is not good news. Mainly because my dad owns a bunch of Apple stock.

Hopefully this will mean a more even playing field in terms of mind-share, and more competitive pricing.

I doubt it, the guy who's taking over has supposedly been making a lot of the decisions over the past few years.

This is not good news. Mainly because my dad owns a bunch of Apple stock.

Everyone and their mother owns Apple stock.

I'm lolling/.

But yeah....hope he is okay I guess.

Good for him. He has managed to do a pretty damn good job considering his health and has been part of some truly visionary business strategies and just visions of what we could do with technology.

Not many people have made such a mark in the 21st century.

For all the hate Apple receive online, I think Steve Jobs is an all right bloke. Hopefully his illness isn't severe and he makes a good recovery.

Nothing is going to change with Apple, at all. Tim Cook has been acting CEO for months, and Jobs will stay on the board. People seem to think Jobs makes every decision in Apple, and without him everything will change. No. The company has an approach and an image which just won't change.

Sell Apple stock two weeks before the iPhone 5 reveal? Lol.

Nothing is going to change with Apple, at all. Tim Cook has been acting CEO for months, and Jobs will stay on the board. People seem to think Jobs makes every decision in Apple, and without him everything will change. No. The company has an approach and an image which just won't change.

apple-tim-cook.jpg

Jobs just needs some vitamin b17 and he'll be back to normal in no time.

Yeah but he's a bit of an icon tbf. It might cause end-of-an-era feelings... Or something :p

First and foremost I hope he gets better as Steve Jobs has been fantastic for Apple & Pixar. Stocks and valuations don't really matter as long as you have your health and wellbeing.

Hope he gets better soon. Steve Jobs has certainly been instrumental in getting Apple to where they are today.

Won't be the same without him.

For all the hate Apple receive online, I think Steve Jobs is an all right bloke. Hopefully his illness isn't severe and he makes a good recovery.

First and foremost I hope he gets better as Steve Jobs has been fantastic for Apple & Pixar. Stocks and valuations don't really matter as long as you have your health and wellbeing.

Hope he gets better soon. Steve Jobs has certainly been instrumental in getting Apple to where they are today.

Sorry to tell you guys but hormone involved pancreatic cancer is not something you get better from with current medical tech/treatments. He's done really well to last this long.

The only thing that will change will be the press conferences. Steve has nothing to do with the actual technology. He never has.

Health and well-being is the number 1 priority, and i congratulate him for sticking out for this long.

The Guardian:

"He was diagnosed with neuroendocrine cancer of the pancreas in 2003 and operated on in July 2004. Although he returned to work within a few months, in April 2009 he received a liver transplant. Medical observers suggested that the long-term effects of the required autoimmune drugs could mean that the cancer would return"

I know ciclosporin is designed for liver transplants and its highly likely that's what he'd be on... nasty nasty drug.. I'm scarred with lots of permanent dark red spots from it, and it has indeed got a high risk of cancer too... not forgetting the other numerous side effects from drugs like that!

Poor man, hope he lets himself take it easier.. sure it can't be easy for someone that's so obviously driven to succeed..

and yeah i'm with jamba, its very unlikely that he'll survive a very long life with this, most kinds of abdominal cancer have poor mortality rates, without him just having a liver transplant. :(

Edited by Raining_again

While he obviously wasn't lucky, he was 'lucky' in that he got a form of pancreatic camcer that is much less aggressive which meant it was operable. Most sufferers of pancreatic cancer have tiny survival chances :(

Still, while he's been suffering plenty in the last few years, his decision to leave today had nothing to do with that. It was timed perfectly - a few weeks after Apple becomes the most valuable company in history, and a few weeks before the iPhone 5 announcement. Any drop in stock price will be instantly recouped with the iPhone 5 announcement, and there is just enough time for people to accept Tim Cook as CEO before he gives the keynote.

As for Jobs' involvement in the company - Apple will have been developing the iPhone 6-7 and iPad 3-4 for months already, if not years, as well as the next Macs. Jobs will have had a huge influence on their designs already, despite the fact they'll be release months or years after his resignation. It's also worth noting that while Jobs may not have had a huge amount to do with the physical building of machines in the last few years, he certainly had a huge part in the product lines as a whole. Luckily he will remain as Chair of the Board, and even after that he's trained his successors well enough to know exactly what they should be doing with Apple for years to come.

^^^^^ This is basically my job, incidentally. Writing about this. Yes.

More like.... Steve... JOBLESS.

That is incredibly insensitive and in very poor taste.

I love it.

I think his experience of joblessness might feel a bit different to most, though :heh: